Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows unable to boot or repair

repair boot windows unable ssd windows 7 not compatible

Best Answer phillpower2 , 30 December 2016 - 08:04 AM

Hello SophieMayk, "Win32_Processor" is what is shown to be the cause of the error message. A long shot that may work is running the Microsoft Find and fix problems with devices and hardwa... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Hello,

I have recently encountered an issue with my PC. I was warned by Windows security that a program installed was malicious; I can't remember the name. I told Windows to remove the program and now when I boot my PC I get told that it was unable to boot and I can repair. The repair does nothing and just goes on for hours and hours. I can still run Windows 7 as normal as the other option so I know nothing serious is going on.

I've tried running sfc /scannow with Command Prompt and there are apparently no issues. I've tried running my Windows repair disk but I get the message that it isn't compataible with the current version of Windows I have even though I installed from this disk. I am running Windows 64 bit and the disk is Windows 64 bit. I have checked my boot order and all is correct. My disk will not boot the Windows disk if the drive is not set to UEFI (it just totally ignores there being a disk and boots as normal) but my Windows is NTFS so I assume this is the compatibility problem.

I have two hard drives, one SSD where my operating system to installed too, I have tried disconnecting my HD while trying to repair windows and still no joy.

While looking in Event Viewer this seems to be the error while booting

"Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

I have yet to look into this error, I could just put up with my system telling me there's an error but every time I turn it on I have to manually select to boot and if I don't it automatically starts to repair. I really don't want to restore my SSD so I'm hoping someone might have an idea what to do...

Thanks!

Edited by SophieMayk, 10 November 2016 - 02:20 AM.

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Maybe you should post in the malware section.

where to post

http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

what to do

http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello SophieMayk,

I have recently encountered an issue with my PC. I was warned by Windows security that a program installed was malicious; I can't remember the name.

HolyCowZ is correct, your computer needs to be checked for malware, please see GTG malware redirection info below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

I haven't had any response, to my thread on the Malware section. Not sure how long I'm supposed to wait but perhaps my problem isn't fixable without a restore? :upset:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can sometimes happen as the malware removal forums are extremely busy and threads can sometimes go unnoticed they come in so thick and fast, this has been recognised and addressed at the Not getting help? thread on the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum here for convenience I have copy/paste the info for you below, good luck  :thumbsup:

If your topic is 3 days old or more, and you haven't received a reply, please Start a new thread in The Waiting Room with ONLY:

• link to your topic
  • Brief description of your issue i.e Malware - Hardware- Application - Operating system.
  • the date it was posted

This way the proper staff member will reply to your original topic and then will remove your post from this topic and move it to an archive once it's received a reply.

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

I've been given the all from the Malware section and have been suggested to return back to Tech.

Hopefully I can find a solution here now :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I've been given the all from the Malware section and have been suggested to return back to Tech.

Hopefully I can find a solution here now :)

Aye have been following the work yourself and Bruce have been doing over on malware  :ph34r:

We basically need to start afresh here now that your computer has been confirmed as all clean of nasties, some questions if I may, from your malware thread;

Edit*

I went back in and saw that it was repairing my E drive, which had my old Windows on before I reinstalled onto my SSD. So I unplugged my HD and tried again. It showed that it was now scanning the D drive but still stated no Windows Installations were detected. I'm pretty sure I installed on my C drive and it created a partition D. How can I get it to scan the C drive?

1: Was the Windows 7 installation on the SSD a clean install on an out of the box new SSD using genuine Microsoft media.

1A: If not a clean install, please tell us how Windows 7 was installed to the SSD.

2: The "old Windows" to which you refer to in the edit above, is this the original OS and HDD that were in use before you fitted the SSD.

3: What do any error messages say when you try and boot up.

For you to do, see if there are any crash dmps available for the one you reported in your malware thread reply #9;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.

3. Upload the zip folder using the More Reply Options tab then the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box.

Post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Thanks, I appreciate you keeping tabs with my posts!

Maybe NTFS file system is damage schedule error checking of C: partition by executing following command from Command Prompt.

Chkdsk  C:  /f

I did this but I had to restart for this to do the check. It didn't report anything back to me negative that I could see. Not sure how I can check the results after it restarted.

1: Was the Windows 7 installation on the SSD a clean install on an out of the box new SSD using genuine Microsoft media.

1A: If not a clean install, please tell us how Windows 7 was installed to the SSD.

2: The "old Windows" to which you refer to in the edit above, is this the original OS and HDD that were in use before you fitted the SSD.

3: What do any error messages say when you try and boot up.

1. It was a completely clean install onto a brand new SSD using a genuine Windows 7 disk. I installed the SSD over a year ago and this is the first problem I've encountered.

2. It is indeed the original OS and HDD that were in use. I did not removed Windows from this HDD as I wasn't sure how to do this without causing potential damage. I believe the old windows files are still on the HDD.

3. I have attached an image of the error I receive.

There were no crash dmps in that Folder.

Also attached the screenshot of my Disk Management.

Attached Thumbnails

• DiskManagement.png
  • Error.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are welcome  :)

Post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager;

Not seeing everything, can we have the requested expanded/full screen please, most likely nothing to see but I am never so presumptuous.

1. It was a completely clean install onto a brand new SSD using a genuine Windows 7 disk. I installed the SSD over a year ago and this is the first problem I've encountered.

Will come back to this in due course but for now an explanation as to why I asked, not all SATA ports on all MBs will accommodate a boot drive and Windows by default allocates the drive or partition that has Windows on it the letter C:, we now know and can see that W7 has worked fine on the SSD for over a year and that the drive has been allocated the letter C: accordingly, what can go wrong and cause errors, if the computer does not boot first time from the SSD the BIOS will then look for an alternative boot device, enter the the old E: drive, if the OS on the E: drive is not bootable either you will get thrown an error message.

If the computer blue screened then a stop code should have been generated, make sure that crash dmps are enabled on your computer, see below;

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Startup and Recovery, click Settings (or Startup and Recovery). 

Select small memory dump and you are done. 

In addition to the above can you let us know the following please;

1: Are you ok with working inside of the computer and the safety steps that should be taken first.

2: The brand and model name or number of your motherboard, just want to check that there is nothing specific about connecting boot drives to set ports etc.

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Sorry I feel like I'm being dumb, how do I get an expanded screenshot? Do you mean just the disks that are off screen?

No need to explain your questions, I know everything you ask would have a reason behind, I actually did have my suspicions that it was looking for the old OS when it went first happened as I could still access my PC but thought that it would be a very random thing to suddenly happen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Startup and Recovery, click Settings (or Startup and Recovery). 

Select small memory dump and you are done. 

This was set to Kernal memory dump so changed that!

In addition to the above can you let us know the following please;

1: Are you ok with working inside of the computer and the safety steps that should be taken first.

2: The brand and model name or number of your motherboard, just want to check that there is nothing specific about connecting boot drives to set ports etc.

1. Yes I am happy with that, I built it myself so I know its ins and outs :)

2. It's a Gigabyte MB, GA-78LMT-USB3

I also didn't think to mention but when I first had the error, the first time I got back onto my PC my search function just didn't work at all. I couldn't search from the Start menu nor could I search any folders, it didn't show any results. This only happened once which is why I thought it was the old HDD because all my documents etc are stored there. Hasn't happened since.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry I feel like I'm being dumb, how do I get an expanded screenshot? Do you mean just the disks that are off screen?

Not at all, please see the attachment below;

Crash dmp info and answers #1 and 2 acknowledged  :thumbsup:

While we troubleshoot this I would suggest that you disconnect the original HDD from the MBs SATA port.

Your SSD should be connected to SATA port 0 on the MB which is the one directly next to the MBs front panel header that connects the power/ reset switches and HDD acivity LEDs etc, is your SSD connected to SATA port 0.

The latter that you mention is definitely a Windows issue, we can look at the original HDD and OS once the SSD and C: drive are sorted.

Edit to add: No worries on the Disk Manager screenshot, we have what we need and an error on my behalf asking for more  :oops:

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Oh phew I thought I was going crazy, I kept clicking the Minimize/Maximize and that tab never went away!

I'm very certain all my drives are connected to the correct SATA ports, I spent a while rearranging them before I came to the forum trying to fix my boot order. The SSD is definitely connected to SATA 0 :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Oh phew I thought I was going crazy, I kept clicking the Minimize/Maximize and that tab never went away!

I'm very certain all my drives are connected to the correct SATA ports, I spent a while rearranging them before I came to the forum trying to fix my boot order. The SSD is definitely connected to SATA 0 :)

Have you now disconnected the original HDD.

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Have you now disconnected the original HDD.

I have :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Original HDD now disconected info acknowledged  :thumbsup: as previously said we can check the HDD once Windows on the SSD is running ok. 

We need to check the OS that is on your SSD, please see below;

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.