Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless speaker connects to WiFi, not Internet

Router

• Please log in to reply

Jay in Maine

Jay in Maine

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I recently purchased a Libratone Zipp wireless speaker, which has WiFi connectivity (in addition to Bluetooth).  While attempting to set it up via the Android app, the Zipp would connect to my router, but tell me that there's no Internet.  Since my phone and another wireless streaming device were working fine with the router, I'm wondering why the speaker isn't.

I've tried resetting the router, which didn't help.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Jay 

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

What is the make and model of the router?

Do you know if you are using 5 GHZ or 2.4 GHZ on the wireless?

Jay in Maine

Jay in Maine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

What is the make and model of the router?

Do you know if you are using 5 GHZ or 2.4 GHZ on the wireless?

The router is a Comtrend AR-5381u, which was provided by the ISP, Fairpoint.   http://us.comtrend.c...ducts/ar-5381u/     2.4 GHZ on router and speaker.  Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

Jay

Edited by Jay in Maine, 23 December 2016 - 12:49 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I asked about 2.4 vs 5 because your Libratone Zipp has problems with some channels in the 5 GB band.  Appears this is not a dual band router and just does 2.4 so not an issue.

What encryption are you using on the wireless links?  WEP, WPA or WPA2?  WEP has two modes 64 bit and 128 bit and sometimes you get what looks like a good connection without really connecting if you use the wrong one.

Have you tried operating without any encryption?  Not recommended for long if you have neighbors because they will steal your connectivity but useful for a test.  You would have to log on to the router with a browser enabled device. Type: 192.168.1.1 and hit Enter and you should get a prompt for username and password.  Default username is 

root

default password is 

That should get you in.  IF not look on the router for a sticker with that information.

The manual for your router is:  http://setuprouter.c...manual-1499.pdf

Chapter 7 P 89 talks about the wireless setup.  It should be easy to turn off encryption tho I would go through first and write down exactly how it is set up now before making any changes.

Jay in Maine

Jay in Maine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I asked about 2.4 vs 5 because your Libratone Zipp has problems with some channels in the 5 GB band.  Appears this is not a dual band router and just does 2.4 so not an issue.

What encryption are you using on the wireless links?  WEP, WPA or WPA2?  WEP has two modes 64 bit and 128 bit and sometimes you get what looks like a good connection without really connecting if you use the wrong one.

Have you tried operating without any encryption?  Not recommended for long if you have neighbors because they will steal your connectivity but useful for a test.  You would have to log on to the router with a browser enabled device. Type: 192.168.1.1 and hit Enter and you should get a prompt for username and password.  Default username is 

root

default password is 

That should get you in.  IF not look on the router for a sticker with that information.

The manual for your router is:  http://setuprouter.c...manual-1499.pdf

Chapter 7 P 89 talks about the wireless setup.  It should be easy to turn off encryption tho I would go through first and write down exactly how it is set up now before making any changes.

Thanks again for the reply.  I was able to log in to the router per your instructions, but don't see an option for disabling the encryption.  On the wireless security page, it tells me that WPA/WAPI encryption is set at TKIP+AES with the only other option being just AES...no "Disable".  Below that is WEP encryption, which is set to "Disabled".  

Again, the Zipp is connecting to the router fine, just telling me on the app that there's no Internet.  

I think it might be a good idea to get a Fairpoint tech person on the phone for a real-time session.  That way, there won't be any lag in the event that I mess something up...which, with my technical skills, is very likely.   :)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I would expect to see something like None as an option where it says Network Authentification.  That's just under the SSID assignment.

Do you have a PC that runs windows?  Can you open an elevated  Command Prompt?

Win 7:  Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator

Type (with an Enter after each line)

ping 192.168.1.255

With the above we are just trying to wake up everyone on your local net.  You will not get any replies but just wait until it finishes.

arp -a

This will give you a list of all connections and their IP addresses;

Looks like this on mine:

C:\Windows\system32>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.0.5 --- 0xb  <== This is the address of my PC
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.0.1           5c-8f-e0-fc-00-67     dynamic  <==This is my router.  Yours will be 192.168.1.1
  192.168.0.4           a0-63-91-8a-5e-e5     dynamic <== The rest of the dynamic entries are devices on the network
  192.168.0.6           f0-d1-a9-5a-c5-86     dynamic
  192.168.0.9           60-eb-69-f4-88-ad     dynamic
  192.168.0.11          74-c2-46-31-49-f8     dynamic
  192.168.0.255         ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff     static  <== Ignore any static entries.
  224.0.0.22            01-00-5e-00-00-16     static
  224.0.0.251           01-00-5e-00-00-fb     static
  224.0.0.252           01-00-5e-00-00-fc     static
  239.255.255.250       01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa     static
  255.255.255.255       ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff     static

Once you have done the above note the iIP addresses of all dynamic entries you have besides the router.

Turn off the wireless speaker or unplug it from power or carry it out side to get ti off the network.

arp -d *

This erases all of the entries.

Repeat the ping.

arp -a

Which one is no longer there?  That is the wireless speaker.  Note its IP address and its physical address.  (Physical address is called MAC address on your router.)

Try to ping its IP address.  Does that work?

There's usually a way to see which MAC addresses you have connected if you look at the router.  Probably under System Log on Page 109.  Normally logging is off so you will need to turn it on. You probably need to set the logging level to see stuff other than errors but it should show you when a device connects.

If you can get Fairpoint to help that would be a good thing.

Jay in Maine

Jay in Maine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for the info!  I'll be away for a couple of days, but will look into it early next week.

Jay in Maine

Jay in Maine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I would expect to see something like None as an option where it says Network Authentification.  That's just under the SSID assignment.

Do you have a PC that runs windows?  Can you open an elevated  Command Prompt?

Win 7:  Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator

Type (with an Enter after each line)

ping 192.168.1.255

With the above we are just trying to wake up everyone on your local net.  You will not get any replies but just wait until it finishes.

arp -a

This will give you a list of all connections and their IP addresses;

Looks like this on mine:

C:\Windows\system32>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.0.5 --- 0xb  <== This is the address of my PC
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.0.1           5c-8f-e0-fc-00-67     dynamic  <==This is my router.  Yours will be 192.168.1.1
  192.168.0.4           a0-63-91-8a-5e-e5     dynamic <== The rest of the dynamic entries are devices on the network
  192.168.0.6           f0-d1-a9-5a-c5-86     dynamic
  192.168.0.9           60-eb-69-f4-88-ad     dynamic
  192.168.0.11          74-c2-46-31-49-f8     dynamic
  192.168.0.255         ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff     static  <== Ignore any static entries.
  224.0.0.22            01-00-5e-00-00-16     static
  224.0.0.251           01-00-5e-00-00-fb     static
  224.0.0.252           01-00-5e-00-00-fc     static
  239.255.255.250       01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa     static
  255.255.255.255       ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff     static

Once you have done the above note the iIP addresses of all dynamic entries you have besides the router.

Turn off the wireless speaker or unplug it from power or carry it out side to get ti off the network.

arp -d *

This erases all of the entries.

Repeat the ping.

arp -a

Which one is no longer there?  That is the wireless speaker.  Note its IP address and its physical address.  (Physical address is called MAC address on your router.)

Try to ping its IP address.  Does that work?

There's usually a way to see which MAC addresses you have connected if you look at the router.  Probably under System Log on Page 109.  Normally logging is off so you will need to turn it on. You probably need to set the logging level to see stuff other than errors but it should show you when a device connects.

If you can get Fairpoint to help that would be a good thing.

Thanks again for your help.  I'm returning the speaker for reasons other than what we've discussed.  Today it locked up after I turned it on.  Several attempts later, I concluded it wasn't worth the effort.  Have a great new year!