Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC doesn't POST anymore

post boot

• Please log in to reply

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I will buy this https://www.amazon.i...v. 2 CPU Cooler

Edited by Dadapatata, 30 July 2017 - 11:44 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That is an appropriate cooling fan for your MB and CPU.

Before purchasing anything, do a final very close inspection of the MB, CPU and socket and how the heatsink is mounted, basically you are looking for anything that could be causing a short circuit that is preventing the CPU cooling fan from working properly, purchasing anything at all is always a last resort with me.

Please note that if you do purchase that cooling fan it has thermal compound pre applied so you only need to use rubbing alcohol to clean the top of the processor before mounting the new cooler.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I installed the new cpu fan but the system shuts down after five seconds.Now the mobo doesn't beep if i take out the ram.(I think it didn't beep even in the last few days)

Edited by Dadapatata, 01 August 2017 - 07:16 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Now the mobo doesn't beep if i take out the ram.(I think it didn't beep even in the last few days)

Not good news  :(

Did you follow the guidance in my reply # 32 first;

Before purchasing anything, do a final very close inspection of the MB, CPU and socket and how the heatsink is mounted, basically you are looking for anything that could be causing a short circuit that is preventing the CPU cooling fan from working properly, purchasing anything at all is always a last resort with me.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Yes,i checked and i am pretty sure there weren't short circuits

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the present HS and cooling fan and the the present chassis fan that you have, want to see if the chassis fan can be fixed to the top of your original heatsink. 

Explanation as to what I am thinking, seeing if the present cooling fan will fit on top of the original heatsink (HS) all of the info provided suggests that it is the original CPU cooling fan/HS that has/HAVE an issue, if it were the CPU or the CPU socket shorting out then the whole computer would shut down and not just the CPU cooling fan behave in such a way.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

How can i separate the cooling fan from the heatsink? 

Is the cooling fan the white fan in the photo here? 

https://www.amazon.i...v. 2 CPU Cooler

After your explanation i still don't understand the utility of what you suggest.
I have a new,prefectly working heatsink(which came with a new,perfectly working cooling fan).

Being that the system isn't working even with this new components,i assume that the problem is caused by something else.

Why are you still thinking about a problematic heatsink or colling fan if the new ones didn't solve the problem?

I am not saying this to be mean,i just want to understand so if i get the same problem in the future,i will have the appropriate knowledge.

PHOTOS: http://imgur.com/a/j2asM

Edited by Dadapatata, 02 August 2017 - 07:03 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for the delay geting back to you Dadapatata, had a family crisis that has kept me away from the forums  :(

I have a new,prefectly working heatsink(which came with a new,perfectly working cooling fan).

Why are you still thinking about a problematic heatsink or colling fan if the new ones didn't solve the problem?

What you described in your OP;

the CPU fan can't start in the first seconds and after 10 seconds the system automatically shuts down and restarts creating a loop.

Such behaviour can be caused by one or more of the following;

Overheating due to the cooling fan not working properly.

A short circuit which can be caused by various things, bent CPU pins, thermal compound on the CPU pins/in the socket and an incorrectly mounted heatsink being just three examples.

A bad power supply.

A bad setting in the BIOS.

There are other causes and the above are examples only.

From your reply #33;

I installed the new cpu fan but the system shuts down after five seconds.

With the exception of the CPU cooling fan being less likely the exact same possible causes still apply and to reiterate the fact that the chassis fan worked ok when connected to the CPU fan header on the MB and the CPU cooling fan behaved the same when connected to the chassis fan header suggested that it was the original CPU cooling fan that had issues.

How can i separate the cooling fan from the heatsink? 

Is the cooling fan the white fan in the photo here? 

https://www.amazon.i...v. 2 CPU Cooler

After your explanation i still don't understand the utility of what you suggest.

See attachment below for an explanation.

What to try now;

Remove the CMOS batery for 5/10 minutes to clear any possible bad BIOS settings, reinsert the battery and test, see other attachment below;

If no change, remove the CPU from the socket, closely inspect it, put it somewhere safe, inspect the CPU socket itself, try running the CPU cooling fan without the CPU in the socket, the computer will not work for obvious reasons and only wanting to see if the fan runs or still cuts out.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hey,it's ok. It turns out a person i know has worked into this field for 20 years and offered to fix mine for free,so today i am sending them the pc and it should return shortly.If they can fix it i will post here the solution,else i will continue with your assistance so keep the topic open,ok?Thanks for all the help you gave to me <3

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That is most helpful and hopefully your friend will have the computer up and running for you in no time  :thumbsup:

If they can fix it i will post here the solution,

That would be great, knowing any outcome good or bad is something that all of us can learn from and likewise we will carry on troubleshooting here if we have to, having 20 yrs experience and the computer close to hand I suspect that your friend will sort things out for you and fingers crossed that they are able to  :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help you gave to me <3

You are welcome  :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

How are things going with the computer Dadapatata, has your friend managed to sort things for you.

Dadapatata

Dadapatata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Ehi,i wanted to wait a few more days in order to be sure by having the pc near me,but i will tell you now.

There were 2 problems:the RAM and the SSD weren't working.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for getting back to us Dadapatata  :thumbsup:

While still a pain in the proverbial I bet you are glad that you let me talk you out of replacing the MB like you were advised to on the other forum  ;)

There were 2 problems:the RAM and the SSD weren't working.

From your OP;

With only CPU installed,i hear a series of short beeps,with RAM also installed,no beeps are heard(remember that the mobo has integrated graphics).
POST beep is head only one time out of 20,even in this case the behaviour is the same(no boot).

EDIT:Even without RAM inserted,the system automatically shuts down as usual.

Are you saying that both were bad and have had to be replaced, if yes, can understand flaky RAM causing such an issue but it is odd that you got no error beeps even though you tested it thoroughly, the SSD unless it was causing a short would not cause such behaviour but instead would present you with a boot disk failure message (this only if Windows is on the SSD and not the HDD instead).

Is the computer now emitting a single beep every time it successfully boots up.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Any chance that we could have some feedback regarding the following Dadapatata, apart from being curious to know the info may also prove helpful to others troubleshooting the same or a similar issue.

Are you saying that both were bad and have had to be replaced, if yes, can understand flaky RAM causing such an issue but it is odd that you got no error beeps even though you tested it thoroughly, the SSD unless it was causing a short would not cause such behaviour but instead would present you with a boot disk failure message (this only if Windows is on the SSD and not the HDD instead).

Is the computer now emitting a single beep every time it successfully boots up.

Thanks  :thumbsup: