Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Windows 10 - No bootable devices?

- - - - -

Best Answer Sugartooth , 21 December 2019 - 05:03 PM

Hi Phill, I'm purchasing a new laptop instead of continuing on. Thank you, and to the others, for all their assistance during this time.   I also sent you a PM.Anna Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

I'm back Phill! What should we try now? :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Anna,

We need to try and confirm how much of the HDD has been wiped and how much if any space on the HDD can be written to.

Can you boot up DBAN and use the interactive mode option, this will show you any total HDD space and/or any partitions on the HDD.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hi Phill,

Does this help at all?

20191203_205933_resized.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Anna,

Yes thanks, we can at least now see that there is 500GB of free space on the HDD and that the drive has no partitions on it.

Can I ask if you had a USB thumb drive in the computer when you took that picture.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hi Phill,

DBAN is on one of my thumb drives (16GB), so yes, it was plugged in.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Anna,

Thanks for confirming that it was your thumb drive.

Can you try using the Autonuke option but before starting the wipe make a note of the start time and upon completion the finish time, it can take many hrs to wipe a drive properly and if the process finishes in only a short period of time it would suggest that something was amiss.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hi Phill,

The Hardware clock operation start and finish dates/times are wrong in the picture. I started the scan on 12/6/19 at 4:51PM (according to my cellphone). When I checked at midnight, the scan still had 41 minutes remaining, so I believe it took around 8 hours.

20191207_203535_resized.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Anna,

Can you check that the time and date are both correct in the BIOS and if incorrect put them right please.

As your picture shows the HDD has been wiped clean and there is only a single 500GB partition on the drive, time to try again with a clean install of Windows, can`t for the life of me remember but do you have an ISO on both USB and a DVD disk, if yes to the DVD I would suggest that you tried to install from the DVD rather than the USB.

Fingers crossed for you and good luck.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hi Phill,

Still didn't work. :no: I corrected the time and inserted the DVD. The screen had all different colors of the rainbow again, then righted itself. The DVD drive was making odd noises and couldn't read the disc. I tried with my USB, but it resulted in this again.

20190926_201027_resized.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Anna,

It is looking like it is the HDD that has issues I`m afraid  :(

Use the diskpart - list disk command to see what if any properties are shown for the drive then get back to us if you will.

Advertisements

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hi Phill,

Use the diskpart - list disk command to see what if any properties are shown for the drive then get back to us if you will.

I don't know how to do this. I'm assuming I need to run a Command Prompt, but Windows isn't installed. What do I use to run it with?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Anna,

Apologies, was pushed for time when I last replied and forgot to include the copy/past info doh  :blush:

Turn off the PC, and put in the Windows installation DVD or USB key.

Boot the PC to the DVD or USB key in UEFI mode. 

From inside Windows Setup, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt window, at the command prompt enter the commands that I have highlighted in bold.

Open the diskpart tool

diskpart

Check what if any storage devices are detected;

list disk

Something with a couple of pictures that may help Open Command Prompt at Boot using Windows 10's setup media

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hi Phill,

I did what you instructed, but the Command Prompt does not work. I've tried it 3 times and even let it sit overnight thinking maybe it was just r-e-a-l-l-y slow in opening. :headscratch:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Anna,

What actually happened, if nothing it suggests that the drive is inaccessible and needs to be replaced or tried in another computer or hard drive enclosure.

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Hi Phill,

I meant that nothing happened when I pressed Shift+F10. Is it better to replace the hard drive or buy a new laptop? I'm thinking if I replace it, something else may go wrong. Lol