Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Windows 10 - No bootable devices?

- - - - -

Best Answer Sugartooth , 21 December 2019 - 05:03 PM

Hi Phill, I'm purchasing a new laptop instead of continuing on. Thank you, and to the others, for all their assistance during this time.   I also sent you a PM.Anna Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Anna,

I would not replace the notebook if it is only the HDD that has failed, you have been able to run various other types of test and apart from some issue/s with the DVD drive everything else seems to be fine.

Things would be slightly easier for me as I have the required kit but option one for me would be to remove the HDD from the notebook and test it with something like the example here if I didn`t have such a device I would fit into my desktop, doing the latter would require a SATA cable and power supply cable from the PSU to be attached.

Confirming the state of the HDD is 100% what needs to be done atm, based on the tests done and most notably the fact that the drive could not be mounted using Linux the evidence does point to a bad HDD I`m afraid  :(

Advertisements

Sugartooth

Sugartooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi Phill,

I'm purchasing a new laptop instead of continuing on. Thank you, and to the others, for all their assistance during this time.  :kiss:

I also sent you a PM.

Anna

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi Anna,

Sorry to hear this but thank you for letting us know and well done for persevering with it for so long  :thumbsup:

Suggestion, keep the present notebook and go back to it at some point, remove the HDD and either have it tested or get yourself an external USB HDD enclosure like the example here I like many folk have such a HDD enclosure that I use for swapping storage devices around + it also gets used for checking suspect HDDs and SSDs.

NB: Having such an enclosure would also allow you to get yourself a new notebook that has an SSD rather than a traditional HDD, good quality 1TB WD Caviar Black HDDs are relatively cheap these days so you could get one of those and store all your data on that rather than on the notebook.