Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs no longer display on primary monitor

multi-display multi monitor nvidia driver nvidia graphics windows 10 nvidia problems display adapter secondary display primary display display problems

• Please log in to reply

nvidiaproblems

nvidiaproblems

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

I am currently experiencing an issue where it appears that the newest Nvidia driver is causing issues for me with multi-monitor setups in ANY game. If I run a game at 1920x1080 or lower resolution, it displays on my secondary monitor which natively runs at x1080. My primary is at 3840x2160. No matter how many times I select 'display 1' in whatever game or program I am using, it still uses the secondary monitor for some reason.

The only workarounds I have found are upping the display resolution or running the game in windowed mode (can't do fullscreen as it just defaults back to secondary monitor for no reason.)

So far I have tried: Forcing the game to use the primary by editing the game's config files - No luck
Restarting PC - updating drivers - no luck.

Bonus issue: If I disable the display in Windows, or otherwise unplug it - any game I try to run afterwards at said or below resolution don't work or even start at all!

Is there any way to fix this issue so that I can get software to properly run on my primary monitor without changing the display resolution? This has really been bugging me and so far nothing has worked.
I am running Windows 10 Pro on an NVIDIA 980 GTX.

TL;DR I can't run any games on my primary monitor if it's >=1920x1080 resolution, it will only display on secondary monitor. Unplugging secondary monitor just causes the game to crash.

Help?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello nvidiaproblems,

Was this an auto update ? Can you roll back the driver and see if things return to normal ?