Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 really slow start up issue (Resolved).

* * * * * 1 votes

Best Answer JoPopey , 12 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

Thank you its all done now and updated sucessfully...phew finally! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JoPopey

JoPopey

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Hi there, I have just upgraded to windows 10 and its starting really slow when i turn the computer on ....not sure why at this stage, not an exciting issue am sure!!

Edited by JoPopey, 02 January 2020 - 06:16 AM.

Advertisements

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

It also keeps crashing when im using Firefox so may be a virus issue?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If the computer is a desktop can you post the brand and model name or number of the power supply (PSU).

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your OP, edit your opening post to include anything that you wish to add, when viewing the boards members/staff will always check out an OP that has no replies, if you reply to your own OP it can appear to others that you are already being assisted and your request for help could be overlooked, something that none of us want.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...oQVwrLlta2mXwzq

Samsung i7 Make NP350V5C A06

Thanks..!

Edited by JoPopey, 02 January 2020 - 12:09 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Polite reminder, please do not post multiple replies and no need to quote every reply, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page, it avoids filling up folks inbox and last but not least it amounts to bumping your thread which puts folk to the bottom of any reply list. 

The layout of the HDD looks to be the problem, there is that many partitions on it it looks like a disaster zone, it is also resulting in almost all of your 8GB of RAM being used up as well which will really slow things down  :(

Can I ask why so many partitions have been created and what if anything is on partitions numbered 6 and 7, apart from the C: partition where Windows lives the aforementioned 6 and 7 partitions are the only two that are big enough to store anything on.

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 81 %

Partition 0
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #0
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 98152094
Size: 299 MB
Used Space: 28.6 MB (9%)
Free Space: 271 MB (91%)
Partition 1
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #1
File System: FAT32
Volume Serial Number: CAA7573D
Size: 96 MB
Used Space: 26.8 MB (27%)
Free Space: 69 MB (73%)
Partition 2
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #2
Disk Letter: C:
Volume Serial Number: E21F6E35
Size: 443 GB
Used Space: 52 GB (11%)
Free Space: 390 GB (89%)
Partition 3
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #3
Volume Serial Number: F48BDA0A
Size: 672 MB
Used Space: 590 MB (87%)
Free Space: 82 MB (13%)
Partition 4
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #4
Volume Serial Number: 600CB461
Size: 450 MB
Used Space: 336 MB (74%)
Free Space: 114 MB (26%)
Partition 5
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #5
Volume Serial Number: 2C65B23D
Size: 451 MB
Used Space: 334 MB (74%)
Free Space: 117 MB (26%)
Partition 6
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #6
Disk Letter: D:
Volume Serial Number: 1E28224C
Size: 444 GB
Used Space: 26.4 GB (5%)
Free Space: 418 GB (95%)
Partition 7
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #7
Volume Serial Number: 181B5D98
Size: 40 GB
Used Space: 9.09 GB (22%)
Free Space: 30.9 GB (78%)
Partition 8
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #8
File System: FAT32
Volume Serial Number: 52910124
Size: 1 GB
Used Space: 734 MB (71%)
Free Space: 292 MB (29%)

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Thanks i do not use this forum often .  I am not sure what partitions are as i am not technical.  If there should only be one can you tell me what to do?

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No worries, we need to do a lot of reading as it is so having to read unnecessary text is not just time consuming but can also be a pain in the proverbial.

Partitions are areas on a storage device that have been set up to create the information on the partition separate from other information on the same device, many folk rename such partitions as things like music, videos, photos etc and Windows by default will be allocated the drive letter C:.

If you go back to my reply #5, I have edited the post showing all the partitions on your HDD, the good ones are in green but the red are unknown, if you have not purposely created any partitions to store data on you may find that there is a recovery partition on the drive and that somehow a couple of new partitions have been created.

If you can upload an expanded screenshot of Windows 10 Disk Manager we will have a better idea of what may have gone on, see info below;

To Access Disk Management via Run.

Press the Windows+R keys to open Run, type diskmgmt.msc in the empty box then press OK.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Great thank you i have attached screen shot i think it was once backed up to Samsung Rec2 but that's not in use anymore....someone who looked earlier at it briefly from Microsoft said Samsung had created these partitions so they could not do anything to them...

Samsung did say i should not run windows 10 as not compatible with this model...hence why i wont contact them about it...!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (8).png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Sorry to be a pain but it was asked that you upload an expanded screenshot, we can`t risk missing any info when it comes to storage devices.

Yours is the second such thread I have come across the past couple of weeks regarding Samsung not supporting Windows 10 on certain models of their computers, poor show if you ask me  :ranting: the other member unfortunately looks to have abandoned their thread but fwiw its here

Let us have the expanded screenshot and we can go from there, I will mention now though that should you decide to go all out and clean install Windows 10 Samsung will definitely not help you in the future.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I have taken one again and saved as a jpeg just saw you were asking for that ....also i will not be able to reinstall windows 10 Microsoft did it their end after one of their technicians deleted it, it was originally installed for free before they started charging hence they reinstalled again recently after mishap!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (10).jpg

Advertisements

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

What is best in your opinion? perhaps i should not run windows 10 and go back to 8.1 ....is that still free?

Edited by JoPopey, 02 January 2020 - 03:14 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You can download and reinstall Windows 10 yourself if you decide to go that route, see the second option at Create Windows 10 installation media info here

Check the Task Manager to see what is using so much RAM, once you have opened Task Manager, click on the Memory tab, let the computer sit for a minute or so while things settle down then grab a screenshot and upload it for us if you will.

When it comes to what to do, the final choice has to be yours I`m afraid but if me after saving the drivers to a thumbdrive I would clean install Windows 10 and get rid of all those partitions on the HDD.

Can I just mention that what ever you have been told by Samsung overrides anything I suggest as they are the ones that you are expecting to get official support from, depending on what the support and how you view it is what you should make your decision on.

8.1 ISO info here

NB: You do not need any licence key as you are already running Windows 10 and the key will be auto detected by the Microsoft database should you decide to clean install Windows.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I think doing all that is probably beyond my capabilities...saving drivers redoing partition stuff?

Here is task manager memory screenshot....the guy at Microsoft said when he tried to change the partitions they had been adjusted by Samsung so were grey when selected and unable to change....perhaps i should go back to 8.1 but that will mean i will still have lots partitions correct?  Samsung support quite non existent when it came to previous issue with 8 - 8.1 problem.

Back on here now what do you think of the task manager read ?  I been reading up about 8.1 and because i would have been one of the people who got the free upgrade to 8.1 it appears you cant just do a clean install as when i go back to factory settings it will return my computer to windows 8 and the upgrade is no longer free however i have come across this...https://www.howtogee...-windows-8-key/

Attached Thumbnails

• Task Manager.jpg

Edited by JoPopey, 03 January 2020 - 04:05 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not at all and we will be here to walk you through it.

Sorry but we need to see the processes that are using the RAM, click on the performance tab, give it a couple of minutes to let things settle down and then take the screenshot for us. 

Can I ask you to do two things for us, 1: give us a chance to reply before adding any more questions by way of an edit, it amounts to bumping your thread which is not only poor forum etiquette but also an abuse of the free help that we offer, 2: only follow the guidance of the one forum, if you wish to follow the guidance elsewhere just let us know and we will bow out and leave you to it.

NB: In case you are not aware, many of us here at GTG run a business and charge fees for computer repairs, atm I am replying to you for free during work hrs so you will hopefully understand why I get tetchy when people bump their threads.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

It says to post in edit hence why i did as they suggested, but point taken, am also only on this forum...spoke to Microsoft before coming on here!

anyway here we go this is the performance tab

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails

• Performance tab.jpg