Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Is the 7600 you speak of a nVidia card? Just so you know, I don't care if it's better I am a die hard Pentium and ATI user...so I'll stick to the X800XT because I don't have $300 to spend on an amazing card to make my friends jealous.

Most of my friends are already jealous :whistling:

Advertisements

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i'd buy the x800xt too...i'd don't have enough will power to buy the x1900, let alone having the spend the money on it! :

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Where do i buy a 7900 GTX without having to go on the internet. I want to but one in a store. PLZ HELP ME!

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
it would depend on where you live. you're going to have to use the internet to find a electronic stor next to you, or at least in the city where you live, then call them up or go over there to look for it. i looked for some big retail stores that you could find across the country (i'm not sure about all over the world, though). i checked on best buy's website, and they carry it, but they want 599.99...theres the link below.
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1140392184220
heres the link to Circuit cities website...they want 529.99 for theirs...
http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do
and here's frys...they want 599.95...i'm pretty sure that they have stores all over the country too...
http://shop2.outpost...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
sorry about the lengths of the addresses...hopefully you can just cut and paste it onto your search bar...like I said, i think that these retailers have stores in cities allover america, but i don't know about europe or any other country...so I hope you live in america...and I also hope you're rich, 'cause I could never afford this card! :whistling:
p.s-any product on the websites are usually carried in all the stores, so i don't think that you're going to have to worry about them not carring it. good luck looking for it.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
What would a 7800GT run it like?

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
if you're talking about oblivion, you'll be able to run it with everything on high. (probably.) thats and extremely good and expensive card, so there's no need to sweat it...
and to Casheti-sorry, i didn't notice that you lived in england...i sure hope that there are best buys over there or circuit citites...i don't know of any big name retailer that stocks cards that good.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well Mozzer if youre UK i would probably go ATI as ATI prices are very good here and they are better cards for the money here and are better at oblivion, they can run HDR and AA at the same time which is what you expect from a card that fast.

Cashetti, you can buy from any computer shop they will order it in for you, but you will get completely screwed on the price internet sales are the most popular method because it is the safest and cheapest way to get computer parts bar none, a shop will usually charge as much as 30% handling free AFTER there generous price markup, good example PCworld biggest chain of computer shops in the UK they charge the same price for 80Gb ultra ATA drives that the most expensive online retailer charges for 300 and 400Gb brand new SATAII drives. They are a rip off ive yet to see a computer shop that wasnt.

wintermoon

wintermoon

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey Scott... wanted to thank you for all your advice and help..(but i'll be back) got my 1600pro and my enermax(sp) 530 arriving tomorrow.. with the ATI radeon xpress 200.. tho the game is running..I think i'll be fine now.. but I really wouldn't have had a clue without all you guys helping this computer helpless girl find her way thru a maze of computer hardware. Now.. just to figure out crossfiring.. and what kind of cooling system to use.. it never ends..
Thanks again.. Hugs.. if that's allowed.

crazygamerm2

crazygamerm2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi im a new member but ive been research my graphics card for the last 3 weeks (xfx geforce 7300 gs with turbocache) and so far ive found out its about half the price of a 6800 and just about as powerful. on my computer oblivian runs with medium high settings. so if ur looking for a budget card deffinently check out the xfx geforce 7300.

ive placed a link below directly to the page with the card

http://www.tigerdire...6&sku=P450-8572

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Does it matter who the card was made by? e.g XFX?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Company doesnt matter.

But you need to do better research, from what im reading here its below an x1300 and way below a 6800 of any type.

Heres a couple http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2699
http://www.hwspirit....ews.php?read=22 .

AMD zone had a review that had some weird numbers in it but even they i think realised there was something dodgy and still reccomended a x1600 instead, they compared it against a 6600GT as well and it was well below a 6600GT.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I am planning to get the XFX nVidia GeForce 7900GTX PCI-EXPRESS 512MB Graphics card. It is £390. Bargain. Nobody tell me otherwise or I shall get upset.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.overclock...900_Series.html

And thats an expensive site and they are all cheaper, the x1900 is the smarter, faster and cheaper choice for you.

The x1900XTX is faster and more advanced than the 7900GTX and in the UK its a cheaper card than the 7900. You can get the power colour x1900xtx for 330-350 pounds.

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
all you guys are from england! How many british pounds are in an american dollar!?

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
pfft, who wants powercolour. I want sapphire. Look up the current exchange rates for the pound to dollar thing ok mate?

btw, look at these specs,

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX PCI Express x16

Core Clock Speed 665 MHz
RAMDAC Clock Speed 400 MHz
Video Memory Installed 512 MB
Technology GDDR3 SDRAM 256-bit
Memory Clock Speed 1.63 GHz
Features Nvidia SLI Multi-GPU Technology
Max Resolution (external) 2560 x 1600
Supported Display Graphics QXGA (2048x1536), 2560x1600
API Supported DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
Max Monitors Supported 2
TV Interface HDTV out
Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
Expansion / Connectivity Interfaces 2 x DVI-I - 29 pin combined DVI 1 x HDTV output

Compatible Slots 1 x PCI Express x16

Compared to the X1900XTX:

Interface Type PCI Express x16
Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
Core Clock Speed 650 MHz
Video Memory Installed 512 MB
Technology GDDR3 SDRAM 256-bit
Memory Clock Speed 1.55 GHz
Features Dual Slot Fan Cooler, Avivo Technology
Type Video capture adapter
API Supported OpenGL, DirectX 9.0
Max Monitors Supported 2
TV Interface Video in / video out
Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
Expansion / Connectivity Interfaces 2 x DVI-I - 29 pin combined DVI
Software Included Cyberlink PowerDVD , CyberLink PowerDirector, Sapphire Select DVD (2 unlock keys)

I think that 7900 GTX comes out on top.

Edited by Casheti, 18 April 2006 - 04:21 PM.