Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP laptop freezes after start [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
SHOUT.....I have a Dell operating system reinstallation CD for XP Professional SP2 here at work. Will this suffice?

btw...it's nice to hear from you again. You rescued me last year about this time on another machine.

Edited by DangerousThing, 14 April 2006 - 08:24 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

You rescued me last year about this time on another machine.

I remember! :whistling: Good to "see" you again, too.

Some of the Dell recovery cd's do support the repair feature...it's kind of a hit or miss affair. Let's boot to the cd and see if you are given the option. The first couple of key presses will tell the story. Refer to the guide...we need to get to the third screen it shows.

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I'm at work today, and busy so far....I'll try to boot if I get a chance and will post back. Worst case, I have an XP disc at home. Thanks

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
hi again..hopefully this post will trigger an e-mail to you. I have performed the xp repair and still hang up after start up. I can get on the web in safe mode w/networking and never freeze.....the machine reaches apoint on regular startup where you can actually hear the drive repeating the same sound cycle over and over... Help :whistling:

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I take it ALL back....I now lock up in safe mode w/networking as well.............

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy!

Ok...we've got either a hardware or software conflict here. Let's look at the software first.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, scroll to the bottom of the list and uncheck the last 5 items in the list...click "Apply" then "Ok". Reboot.

Upon restart, you will see a "Selective Startup" dialog window...this is normal. Check the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

If the machine still hangs, go back to the startup list, re-check those items and uncheck the next 5...click "Apply" then "Ok".

Repeat this process until the hangs stop or you run out of items to deselect. If the hangs stop, check the items you have unchecked one at a time until the machine hangs...that will be the culprit...leave that one unchecked, check the others and reboot. Let me know what you find.

If this doesn't resolve the hanging...it's on to hardware.

wannabe1

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I have already disabled a bunch of items...the only items left are: NvCpl and msmsgs. but I'll check it out

Edited by DangerousThing, 25 April 2006 - 06:24 AM.

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
OK...Everything is disabled and the machine still freezes.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...you should re-select the ones you unchecked during the previous checks.

We'll start the hardware by looking at the temperatures and voltages. Download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.28 link in the second paragraph), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures.

Post the high temperatures you see here for me.

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Unless I can dowload to disc on another machine and then transfer in safe mode......I am unable to run anything effectively before the machine locks up!

Edited by DangerousThing, 25 April 2006 - 09:06 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
SpeedFan should fit on a floppy... :whistling:

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I'm sorry, but speedfan is making absolutely no sense to me at all...do I have to configure it somehow?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Under the "Readings" tab, I'm interested in the temps on the right.
Posted Image

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
HDO: 33C
Temp1: 42C

That's all I could get before the system froze up again. I couldn't get a reading in safe mode

Edited by DangerousThing, 25 April 2006 - 05:15 PM.

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
re-booted....

HDO 38C (with a down arrow)

Temp1 45C (with a green check mark)