Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can download them all now...install one and update it ..run it..close it down...install next one..same process as the last..
go here for the free zone alarm..
after installing zone alarm you will have to train it..just click on the programs that you want to have access to the internet without bugging you and put a tick in the box "remember this setting" then click on allow...any red popups advising you that someone is trying to connect to your computer..click on don't show this again..it will continue to block them..it just does it in the background without telling you...
spywareblaster ...you just update..once per week...keeps 99 % of the crap off your system..
ad-aware and spybot are removal tools...update and run them once per week...they will usually find nothing if you keep spywareblaster updated

the hosts file ...just click on the mvps.bat and it will install the new hosts file..you can update it about every 2 months...you can sign up to be notified when there is a update for it..the update install the same way you install the original version...
complete instructions and register to be notified of updates ...here ...look for..Sign up for HOSTS file update notices link

sorry about the bad links..I have standard answers that I can cut and paste and then post without having to type anything...I will have to check all my links to be sure they are still good.
ie/spyad has a new version...go here to get it

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Ok, got all that stuff installed.
What about Firefox plugins like flash, because some websites just cant be viewed without them.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Was playing FEAR, everything was going along smoothly, and then....
Posted Image
EDIT
It happened again, same exact error code too...

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 21 April 2007 - 12:12 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
give me time to ponder about the error message awhile...
in the meantime...
get adobe flash BUT not reader...

Foxit Reader is a free utility that includes some tools that Adobe lacks, including a "typewriter" tool that lets you type text over any PDF, and edit any of the text they contain. not just files that have been set with form fields.
Foxit launches very quickly (in about one second) and it requires no installation... It allows you open, view, print, and change the page layout in PDF files. For some functions, such as the typewriter function, FoxIt Reader shows an ad for FoxIt Reader Pro. However, these functions still work with minor limitations.
get foxit reader

I highly recommend these alternatives to quicktime and real player..
they both are
- Quick and easy install..about 30 seconds..
- No background processes
- Low on resources
- Smaller size
QuickTime Alternative ...QuickTime Alternative will allow you to play QuickTime files (.mov, .qt, .3gp and other extensions) without having to install the official QuickTime Player

Real Alternative.. will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer or RealOne Player.
==================================================================
FIREFOX EXTENSIONS
the basic extensions or add ons you should get for firefox are ..
adblock plus...gets rid of ad's
IETAB..for the rare site that does not display right with firefox
site advisor...warns you about bad sites in the search engines results
fasterfox...speed tweaks all the settings in firefox for broadband
tab mix plus..gives you more options on how the tabs display...like you can have it open a new tab for anything you click on in your history, bookmarks or search engine or address bar...
there are tons more but those are the one's I use and recommend...

for the more advanced also get
noscript..newbie's can have problems with this one trying to figure out how to allow their bank and a few other sites that you trust to run scripts...the upside is you will have the safest browser possible..
Winner of the "2006 PC World World Class Award", this tool makes Firefox the safest browser around...

Flashblock ...Never be annoyed by a Flash animation ad's again! Blocks Flash so it won't get in your way, but if you want to see it, just click on the placeholders...
again newbie's can have problems with this one trying to figure out how to allow their bank and a few other sites that you trust to work right

Edited by happyrck, 21 April 2007 - 08:32 AM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Ok got Firefox plugins.

Also might I suggest adding Adblock Filterset G Updater to your list of suggested plugins. I haven't seen any ads at all since installing that. NONE.

EDIT
Got that same FEAR error again. All of these errors don't seem to have any common elements except that I'm playing FEAR.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 21 April 2007 - 12:37 PM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
New FEAR error:
Posted Image

BlueScreen-Bertrand

BlueScreen-Bertrand

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

you have checked the RAM and Memtest said there would be no errors. So you should start searching the problem on the second important "storage": your hard disk.

Use SeaTools as described in the ugly english translation http://translate.goo.../language_tools or see the Seagate-Websit at http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/ for more information.

Also check the power supply output (use Sandra Lite or Everest) and post the result. An instable voltage could cause the system to start spontanteously, as you described.

Edited by BlueScreen-Bertrand, 21 April 2007 - 03:33 PM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
The download for that program is a redirect and SeaTools for Windows doesn't work, saying that it requires .NET framework of 2.0 or greater.
But thanks for your input! : )

we only want to install one thing at a time and test for stability...at least a day

My one program for today you didn't specifically tell me to install is going to be Xfire for messaging.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 21 April 2007 - 06:20 PM.

BlueScreen-Bertrand

BlueScreen-Bertrand

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I prefer SeaTools for DOS.
SeaTools won't be able to examine the full disk as long as it is in use. ST for DOS makes sure that all sectors of the disc are checked. If you don't have a floppy you can dnwload the .ISO-file and burn a bootable CD.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I can't get the disc to boot. I burned the disc with windows and it didn't boot, I burned the disc with nero and it didn't boot, I found that there was a .zip file inside the Freedos folder and unzipped it and it didnt boot. This things doesn't want to boot.

And I checked to see if the problem was with my cd drive or boot order, but I can boot from my windows disc so that is just fine.

Advertisements

BlueScreen-Bertrand

BlueScreen-Bertrand

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
No-no-no! You don't have to burn the ICO on the disc, but you have to burn the (ISO-)image onto the disc.
The ISO-file is an image of the CD you want to burn, so you need a program that supports bruning images on diskc.
I wrote an instruction how to use DeepBurner (Download at http://deepburner.com/ ). Just keep to the pictures in order to burn the image.
Make sure the BIOS is set to start from CD.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get burncdcc here...its a small no frills .ISO burner

lets take FEAR out of the equation it puts a LOT of stress on your system....try using media player or play a dvd...anything to put a little stress on the system..see if you get anymore errors just doing everyday stuff..(no gaming)

all the errors point to a memory problem...theres RAM...L1 and L2 in the CPU ...the northbridge AKA (MCH) (memory controller hub) and the memory on your video card...if I had the computer sitting on my workbench...I would swap out the RAM first ..just because its the easiest to do...no joy ..then the video card again cause its also easy to do...no joy ...then the CPU..and last the mobo

I can't remember...do you have a PCI sound card ...

Edited by happyrck, 22 April 2007 - 07:46 AM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
No I am using onboard sound.

ADDENDDUM
I did the long test with SeaToolsDOS and I passed.

I'm going to install CyberLink Power DVD because I don't have a DVD decoder on the PC yet. The I'll just play a DVD and see what happens.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 22 April 2007 - 02:12 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is your ram on this list..

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Nope my specific model of ram isn't listed there.
BTW I let my computer loop through a DVD twice and nary a hiccup. In fact CPU usage never went above 20%.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 22 April 2007 - 07:27 PM.