Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
My power supply is the 650 watt version. Thats why there is a "650" in the model number. : P

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry...I didn't even look at the second line of your sig

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Thats fine. : )

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Posted Image

Just tried playing counter strike source for a bit. It was going great until it crashed and this^^ came up.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that error 0x77783726 has to do with STEAM...more here

how long did you play before getting the error...

I am not a gamer so you may want get help for games in their forums here if you don't already know it......

did you look into getting that dual molex connector for the video card..

Edited by happyrck, 26 April 2007 - 07:10 AM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
That error happened with the different connector being used.
I was playing for about 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes, and was purring right along until crashing too.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it seems to me your biggest crashing occurs when your gaming...
gaming places a heavy load on your video card and since you added the dual molex connector we can assume its getting enough "juice"...
can we do a little further testing...try going here for SiSoft's Sandra Lite..we want to benchmark your system (stress your hardware) to see if its just the video card causing the grief or there are some other components adding to the problem..

go here for lots of free benchmarking software...scroll down to the bottom...I think I read somewhere that prime95 doesn't work so good with X2 CPU's...not sure though...it tests the cpu and your ram

Edited by happyrck, 27 April 2007 - 06:39 AM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Ok, I'll tinker around with the benchmarking later today. I'll let you know what happens.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Ok I ran every benchmark in Sandra Lite XI, except the Network Bandwidth and Internet Connection tests. No hiccups. There was no video card test so I downloaded 3DMark06 and ran it except the cpu tests (they are sooooo sloooooooow). Still nothing. So I've downloaded AquaMark3 and am running that one too.

On another note, when I'm not running benchmarks or taking Final Exams I try to fit in some gaming. I was playing The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, when it crashed it created a .dmp error report. I thought maybe we could use these or somthing... maybe.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Ok I ran every benchmark in Sandra Lite XI, except the Network Bandwidth and Internet Connection tests. No hiccups. There was no video card test so I downloaded 3DMark06 and ran it except the cpu tests (they are sooooo sloooooooow). Still nothing. So I've downloaded AquaMark3 and am running that one too.

On another note, when I'm not running benchmarks or taking Final Exams I try to fit in some gaming. I was playing The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, when it crashed it created a .dmp error report. I thought maybe we could use these or somthing... maybe.

post the error report...I'll take a look ...
the common thread here is your crashes all happen when your gaming...with the one exception of media player...and most appear to be memory related...I'll attach a zipped file that may help explain ( maybe) whats happening..
this may also help...a primer on memory...
there's L1.. L 2 and sometimes L3 memory on the CPU ...the BIOS has ROM or EPROM..then there is RAM...and also virtual RAM (swap or paging file)...your hard drive and CD and DVD drives have a small amount too ...
good description on memory...the lite reading... here...
if you want to get more into RAM go here...for anandtech memory tutorial...there are several sections there...this is the "heavy" reading..the kind that some of the engineers drool and get "misty eyed" over..

Edited by happyrck, 01 May 2007 - 10:46 AM.

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Attached File  CrashDump_2007_05_01_01.27.59.390.mini.zip   161.34KB   125 downloadsAttached File  CrashDump_2007_05_01_01.27.59.390.txt   167.86KB   527 downloads
Thats two of the three files created when the error happened. The third one is 400 megs so I can't send it to you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your video card requirements according to EVGA ... here......scroll down in the specifications section...right hand side..
Requirements
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply for ...single card
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 20 Amp Amps.)

Minimum 500 Watt for SLI mode system...dual cards...
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amp Amps.)
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)

your current power supply only puts out 19 A on the 12 V rails...this would explain why the crashes occur mostly while gaming...if you want to keep the card and continue gaming you will have to buy a power supply capable of suppling at least the minimum...and I recommend one thats at least 25 A on the 12 V rails because even the good PSU's only put out 85 % of the rated capacity...the cheap ones are in the 70% range...get one with 30 + A on the 12V rails if you think you may want to go to dual cards somewhere down the road

Edited by happyrck, 02 May 2007 - 07:49 PM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Ugh, and I thought that I upgraded my PSU enough already. Oh well, a friend who used to build gaming computers for a living recommended this power supply, saying that it beats several high end PSUs that are rated at higher wattage.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817703005

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
PC Power & Cooling make great PSU's...but with that said..

That PSU may not fit all cases, as it is very long. Be sure to measure your internal case dimensions and check out the PSU dimensions prior to ordering..they're link is here...

notice it has 49A on the 12 V rail... :whistling: and High Efficiency (83%); .99 Active PFC :blink:

Edited by happyrck, 04 May 2007 - 06:46 AM.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

That PSU may not fit all cases, as it is very long. Be sure to measure your internal case dimensions and check out the PSU dimensions prior to ordering..they're link is here...

Actually ahead of you there, I know for a fact that it wont fit in my case, it's just a tad too long. But I absolutely love my case so I'll just find a way to get it to fit.