Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable operating system

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Nope my specific model of ram isn't listed there.
BTW I let my computer loop through a DVD twice and nary a hiccup. In fact CPU usage never went above 20%.

try a DIFFERENT game this time...
I attached a short primer on memory for you...and for more go here

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Sweet. Will read it soon.

ADDENDUM
Happened whilst playing a DVD
Posted Image
Microsoft error reporting blames video device drivers.

EDIT
I read the the memory primer you attached. Very informative. I've heard of timing for RAM before but I've never seen anything about timing in my settings. IDK I'm no expert.
Also I just noticed this,Posted Image I think its been like this since the fresh installation.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 23 April 2007 - 10:23 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the second screenshot shows the DVD R/W as a slave drive with no master...??? if thats true the drive needs to have the jumper set to master AND it needs to be on the end connector..

in the bios ...if the memory timings are set to AUTO you won't see the timings..set it to manual and then they show up and you can set the speed...if you had a stable system you could tweak the settings to try to speed them up...because its set to AUTO...it will set them to the slowest stick of ram...thats why its best practice to buy matched sets...2 sticks..or 4 sticks of matched memory...they are matched for speed

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I'll check out the DVD R/W situation.
Thanks for explaining the memory timing thing for me.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried this workaround for the loop error...

This issue might occur if the display driver is caught in an infinite loop while it waits for the video hardware to become idle. This issue typically indicates a problem with the video hardware or that the display driver cannot program the hardware correctly.

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
2. On the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.
3. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then click to clear the Enable Write Combining check box.
4. Click OK, and then click OK.

Note This procedure prevents the display driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the chance that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration off.

MS also says this...
To resolve this issue, obtain and install the most current driver for your video adapter ( we know you have the newest driver), or replace your video card.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Is it okay to game when the setting is like this?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I'll check out the DVD R/W situation.
Thanks for explaining the memory timing thing for me.

your welcome...
:whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Is it okay to game when the setting is like this?

give it a go..

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
BTW in that latest screenshot I was referring to the "NA" on some of the IRQs. That can't be a good thing.

I was cruising around the eVGA forums and found this topic on power supplies and graphics cards:
http://evga.com/comm...?TOPIC_ID=15262
I have my video card connected by the six-pin connector just like the post describes. What do you think?

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 24 April 2007 - 04:34 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

BTW in that latest screenshot I was referring to the "NA" on some of the IRQs. That can't be a good thing.

I didn't even see that...good catch..
did you install the chipset drivers after installing the OS

Advertisements

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Yes, I did. One at a time, just like you told me to. First the SMBus Driver-->Restart-->ethernet driver-->restart-->storage driver.
Whats strange about the IRQ thing is that windows shows IRQs for everything.
Posted Image
So what do you make of that other forum post about the dual molex to PCI-E adapter?

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 25 April 2007 - 01:04 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

So what do you make of that other forum post about the dual molex to PCI-E adapter?

it would not hurt to try it...
what make and model # is your power supply...I want to look up the spec's for it ...that article said that video card needed 22 A on that rail..
could you put all your system specs in your signature..

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Yes, I did. One at a time, just like you told me to. First the SMBus Driver-->Restart-->ethernet driver-->restart-->storage driver.
Whats strange about the IRQ thing is that windows shows IRQs for everything.

I remember now...we set it in the bios for windows to handle the IRQ's...doh... :whistling:

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Oh yeah, totally forgot about that one.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your PSU can be any of these 3...which one is yours...550- and 650-Watt or 430-Watt ...they all only supply 19A on the 12 V rails...for testing and review of your PSU ...click here
that link you posted said your video card needed 22 A...thats why they recommended that dual molex to PCI-E adapter...if its not to spendy it might be worth trying...
thanks for the signature...saves me having to search thru almost 300 posts...

Edited by happyrck, 25 April 2007 - 09:56 AM.