Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preventing Malware and Safe Computing

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I may take a look at creating a list of tools that work on an x86 machine in the future. ERUNT and ATF Cleaner both work fine on Vista, as does CCleaner.

Advertisements

Someones

Someones

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
A few questions:

Shouldn't an image backup be mentioned?

Isn't SpywareGuard outdated?

What about Windows Firewall?

I think IE 8 on Vista is quite safe? How good is Chrome/Iron?

Have you considered WOT, LinkExtend and AVG LinkScanner?

Maybe things like Limited User Acccount, DropMyRights, GesWall, Sandboxie and Returnil should be mentioned?

Thanks very much!

Edited by Someones, 25 April 2009 - 06:55 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Never crossed my mind about an image backup, will see about adding that in, if you have any suggestions for programs would help

SpywareGuard isn't out-dated, it doesn't need to be updated since its not a traditional anti-spyware program, it uses heuristics to protect your PC

Windows Firewall isn't any good...Not sure what else to add to that.

I think IE 8 on Vista is quite safe? How good is Chrome/Iron?

Have you considered WOT, LinkExtend and AVG LinkScanner?

Maybe things like Limited User Acccount, DropMyRights, GesWall, Sandboxie and Returnil should be mentioned?

Chrome hasn't been out that long compared to the others so I didn't feel it was worth mentioning since the other browsers are very good, I am not familiar with Iron either.

Yes I did consider those other programs, I prefer McAfee site advisor. I had contemplated about programs like Sandbox, just never got down to it, always things to keep me busy :)

I think my problem with Sandbox/Returnil and programs like that, is that the average user is not going to have any idea on how to use them, they aren't as easily accessible as using something like McAfee Site Advisor. The aim of this tutorial was simple effective tips, going to have to contemplate about adding in more complicated things, not completely sure yet.

Someones

Someones

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the quick response.

Personally I like Paragon Drive Backup Express, though it really is quite limited. I believe Macrium Reflect and DriveImage XML are also very good.

I meant the actual protection method - it seems to just detect changes to a few changes to your system. It claims to provide some form of real-time protection but not much details are given, and given the fact that it hasn't been updated for a long time I don't really see the point of it.

Windows Firewall has good inbound protection, it only lacks in outbound protection and self protection. But both of these are reactive measures anyway; it only detects malware after it has already infected your computer. I believe focusing on prevention is a better method. Not to mention most users don't have the time and/or knowledge to answer the pop ups from third-party firewalls.

What about IE8? There was a recent test of the malware reputation services of browsers. IE8 actually detected 69%, the highest result, with Firefox at 30% and Opera at 5%. Though of course since IE is the most targeted app it doesn't make sense to use it. However, in Vista, IE also has Protected Mode which increases the security.

Chrome's sandbox feature is very interesting, I think I read that in a study it was found it would have contained ~70% of real-world malware. Iron is Chrome without the privacy issues.

SiteAdvisor seems rather outdated in its technology, for example SiteAdvisor ratings may be 1 year out-of-date. Also due to its blacklisting technology it can't really keep out with new exploits and malware.

I agree that most people would find the idea of a sandbox confusing. Maybe you could mention it at the end as an "Advanced Section" or something similar? But for people with limited uses for their computer, LUA is a good solution.

Edited by Someones, 25 April 2009 - 07:46 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You aren't going to convince me about Windows Firewall sorry :)

Simple fact is that a huge amount of people who visit this site or read this tutorial have malware and need to block those outbound connections or their PC gets more and more infected. Programs like Comodo and Sunbelt firewall are better anyway, having to answer some pop ups is not a huge deal for proper protection.

You answered yourself concerning IE8

Though of course since IE is the most targeted app it doesn't make sense to use it.

I don't particularly trust or rate those tests you mentioned either. Mozilla and Opera are very secure, less targeted, and have more add-ons to keep you safe.

I agree that most people would find the idea of a sandbox confusing. Maybe you could mention it at the end as an "Advanced Section" or something similar?

I like this idea actually. I will try get something written up for next weekend and bump the original post.

Thanks for the feedback, has opened up some interesting areas

Someones

Someones

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I think there's a flaw in your logic: you say "Simple fact is that a huge amount of people who visit this site or read this tutorial have malware". This means most people are average users. "Programs like Comodo and Sunbelt firewall are better anyway". This only applies when the user has the patience and knowledge to answer pop ups. "having to answer some pop ups is not a huge deal for proper protection." The point is, average users wouldn't know how to answer those pop ups! Just my personal opinion.

Cool, thanks.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Those who are ignorant shall have to pay the price of their ignorance.
I've seen my share of poorly maintained computer that malfunctioned even without the help of malware.
Part of malware assistance is education. I think works every now and then.....

Someones

Someones

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Also, have you considered adding behavioural blockers such as ThreatFire and DriveSentry?

Thanks

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You are referring to HIPs ? No I haven't since like I said the tutorial is for the average user

I may include something about them in the Advanced Part whenever I write it

Someones

Someones

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

You are referring to HIPs ? No I haven't since like I said the tutorial is for the average user

I may include something about them in the Advanced Part whenever I write it

Yes, but these are very user friendly. ThreatFire in particular has next to no pop ups, though I've heard it sometimes has conflict issues.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I managed to get this done earlier than I expected. I have edited the original post and added these "Advanced Tips" at the end of the tutorial.

Someones

Someones

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
DriveSentry isn't a firewall. They call themselves a firewall for drives but it's really just a HIPS/behavioural blocker.

Edited by Someones, 29 April 2009 - 07:17 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Am going to trust the Drivesentry site with this one

DriveSentry is a software based firewall for drives which only allows safe programs access to your computers' memory, files and system settings.

Don't want to risk people having multiple firewalls running

Someones

Someones

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Am going to trust the Drivesentry site with this one

DriveSentry is a software based firewall for drives which only allows safe programs access to your computers' memory, files and system settings.

Don't want to risk people having multiple firewalls running

Yes, firewall for drives. It's not a network firewall with inbound and outbound protection. From their forum:
DriveSentry works by monitoring any application writing to your drives. Only applications you have authorized can write to your drives and all other applications are blocked. If you can imagine a software firewall monitors internet traffic, well DriveSentry monitors drive traffic.

Edited by Someones, 01 May 2009 - 04:11 AM.

Becky329

Becky329

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am new to the site and I hope I am posting in the correct place...I have no computer system knowledge, I can only navigate software packages. My PC was recently infected with a host of things and I was forced to do a complete system restore. I have read the instructions for making my computer safe and want to make sure I have not missed anything. I use Windows XP. I have a Microsoft wireless router ( I think this is/has a firewall) and I use Windows firewall. I have downloaded Firefox (Noscript,& McAfee Site Adviser) ,AntiVIR,& MBAM. I think I still need anti-spyware,Open DNS, ERUNT and SystemRestore but I have became confused with posts about realtime protection? Please advise me on what I am still missing? Thank you