Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preventing Malware and Safe Computing

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Go ahead and install the rest of the programs. That warning is just about if you have installed other programs yourself, like Spybot, that can interfere with SpywareGuard.

However this isn't the case for you, so nothing to worry about

Advertisements

MaxMon

MaxMon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Awesome! I look forward to learning about these annoying pests which interfere with enjoying the internet. But, I also like to learn about challenging things and finding ways to fix problems that most people have no idea where to be begin. So they are more of a catch 22, or a love/hate.
Thanks again,
maxmon

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Time to adjust ATF cleaner - TFC ???

Thank You for your time

Anthony19

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yep been meaning to do that.

yorkey.sa

yorkey.sa

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thank you for this great article! I noticed I have most of these programs and others in place, but there were some things I didn't know or realise.

howdy there

howdy there

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I am going to try the Sandbox idea. Hackers are bad. If they don't like Microsoft, they should invent something better. I wish the US prosecuted more hackers.

Edited by sari, 31 July 2009 - 06:50 AM.
Changed a reference that could be misinterpreted

rusty95

rusty95

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Rorschach112 thank you 4 a great tutorial

I'm running MBAM and AVG a while ago, I also had a2square, Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D installed but some how i couldn't manage to keep PC clean I guess is because this is the only PC around the house and everybody brings all different kind of crap from school and work it makes it very hard to be virus free.

I just find Naevius USB Antivirus
what you think about it?
would you recommend it?
would it have conflict with AVG?
here is the website: http://www.naevius.c...b_antivirus.htm

Thx to your tutorial i decided to uninstall a2square, Ad-Aware and Spybot which I think they are junk and install SAS and SG; right now SAS is running a full scan (306 threats found so far)

again thank you

hey this is my first post yey!!!

geekstogo is the way to go

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I have not heard of that program before, but it sounds like it could be very helpful to users. I am aware of other similar programs that are free which provide protection for your USBs.

I think I will update this topic with a few suggestions relating to protecting your PC from USB infections. Am a little busy lately so wont be till the end of the week more than likely. Thanks for the idea.

right now SAS is running a full scan (306 threats found so far)

Sounds like you may need to visit the Malware Removal forum

rusty95

rusty95

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

I am aware of other similar programs that are free which provide protection for your USBs.

This one has a free option.

Thanks for the idea.

you are very welcome.

Sounds like you may need to visit the Malware Removal forum

yes I already did I use this guide "Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide" but I decide to install windows 7 as secondary OS so I will be running win XP home edition an Win 7 RC and for that I need to reorganize my HD partitions.

but I think I have a great combo protection for m 2 fresh installs:

AV: Avira or AVG, I think I'll go with Avira just to give it a try.

you I think I'll be using that USB protection as well, I'll wait to see what suggestions you came up with

MBAM, SAS and SG

NoScripts and McAfeeSA oh and OpenDNS

:)

stickhandle

stickhandle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Just recovering from infection and setting up the new "fortress" around by machines ...

Two questions:

1. Wondering your opinion of: (A) WinPatrol, and (B) CCleaner?

2. I'm using paid CA anti-virus 2009. In your opine, would i be better off ditching it for Avast FREE?

Thanks

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
WinPatrol and CCleaner are both fine. I just prefer SpywareGuard and TFC myself. I think they are easier and do a slightly better job.

Definitely remove CA, it is a very bad anti-virus. Avast or Avira is the way to go

stickhandle

stickhandle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks rorschach
i ran through the paces of the malware removal guide (found persistant vundo) and now have a clean system (i think :-).
my setup makes me your disciple:
-Avast AV
-MBam
-SuperAS
-Sunbelt Firewall
-SpywareBlaster
-SpywareGuard
-OpenDNS

In addition to this, i switched to FFox/TBird/Foxit from IE/OutlookExpress/Adobe. Added to SiteAdvisor pluging to FFox. Using FileHippo upd checker, SysRestorePoint, ERUNT, TFC.

Still thinking about adding ProcessGuard ...

Thanks for all the advice.

Now the Questions ...
(1) Any concern about clashing between Sunbelt and the firewall on my router (linksys)?
(2) Would you recommend paying for any of the above to get the advanced stuff? Seems like its mostly about sceduling.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Glad to see you implementing the suggestions, should be a very solid system

(1) Any concern about clashing between Sunbelt and the firewall on my router (linksys)?
(2) Would you recommend paying for any of the above to get the advanced stuff? Seems like its mostly about sceduling.

Q1 - I am not 100% sure about. Am going to ask a tech friend to post an answer to that.
Q2 - I definitely don't recommend paying for any security features, anti-virus programs, etc. You can generally always find free alternatives that are often superior.

If you find your current system is working effectively, then there is really no need to shell out money for anything that isn't a "must-have"

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey there Rorschach, stickhandle,

Now the Questions ...

They shouldn't clash as the Linksys is a hardware firewall that filters packets in a different way then a software firewall would.
Keeping both on would be fine :)

Regards,
Olrik

bibang

bibang

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have AVG anti-virus free but it comes with an antispyware feature. Do I still need to have Spywareguard and Spywareblaster?

Many thanks!