Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash Drive Disinfector does not run - nothing happens

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No you have to select the optional updates if you wish to install them, they are not selected automatically

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
OK, great. Render had me do some scans to see if my desktop is infected. How do I know if I'm OK now? And at some point I'd like to get back to my original reason for posting, which is to transfer data safely from my old infected desktop to this new one. What do you suggest? Thanks.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ah sorry I lost track of the original question :D The main system appears clean

Do you intend transfering the data by making the old drive a slave to your new system or by copying to a CD/USB and reinstalling from there. Dependant on the method used do the following

If as a slave then scan the drive with Dr Web once installed on the system but before you access any files on it.

CD/USB backup, then run Dr Web on the infected system from safe mode prior to copying the data

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
Hmmm. I'm not computer savvy enough to understand your question. From a clean pc, I loaded Flash Drive Disinfector onto an external hard drive. Then I did a Windows backup of certain folders and their contents I wanted to the hard drive. I intended to do a restore to the new pc. I can do something different if you think it would be better.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem - I do sometimes speak my own language :D

As you are backing up to an external USB drive and then transfering the data onto a new system, I would recommend a quick scan with Dr Web on the USB drive before you copy files/data across to the new system. That should be sufficient to ensure that all is well

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I'm busy today, but just wanted to acknowledge that I got your post. Thanks. I'll get back to you.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK :D

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I have not hooked up my old infected PC to my ISP. I just got rid of a browser redirect that was on my router, and I didn't want anything malicious to get to the router again.

I inserted a flash drive in the desktop we've been working with. I intend to use it to load Dr.
Web on the infected PC. I understand you to mean that's where I should scan the external drive with Dr. Web. Before I did it, I held down the shift key as advised by another "geeks to go!" volunteer, SweetTech: "To prevent your flash drive from autoplaying you will want to press and hold Shift when you insert the flash drive. "

I have Panda, and it automatically came up and asked me if I wanted to disinfect the flash drive, I answered "Yes", and it stated that it did so successfully. Could I do the same thing with my external hard drive, and that would take care of any malware?

I ran Dr. Web as well. Two issues:
It states that my version is 7 days out of date. So I clicked Update several times and nothing happened.

I started it anyway to see what would happen. It looked like it automatically started scanning the C drive, and I couldn't change it to another drive.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes you could as the system treats flash and removable drives in the same way, it treats the autorun file and inserts its own in its place locking it

I must admit it is a while since I used Dr Web so I would need to check it out. But mayhap Norton would suffice (that is your AV correct ?)

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
No, I have Microsoft Security Essentials. I'll try the Panda and let you know. Funny, I don't remember when I got Panda. Does "geeks to go" recommend that?

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi, wayneman50

I'm back. Are you talking about Panda USB Vaccine?

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
Welcome back. Yes, I have Panda USB Vaccine. While holding down the Shift key, I inserted my external drive's USB connection to my desktop. I executed Panda. Under the "USB drive vaccination" section, my external drive is selected. The message reads: "NTFS support is disabled", and "Vaccinate USB" is grayed out. If I understand the help correctly, I'd be doing something "experimental" by trying to use Panda on the drive. And as you can see from a previous post, I had trouble with using Dr. Web as Essexboy recommended. What do you recommend?

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
NTFS support is currently in experimental stage. As SweetTech told you just press and hold Shift key on your keyboard when you connecting the USB device.

Now, as I understand you want to scan this USB external drive with some anti-virus program. You don't have to use Dr.Web to do this. Instead just use your installed anti-virus program - Microsoft Security Essentials.

Open it: Click on Start, navigate to All Programs and then click on Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE will open.
Under Scan options: click on Custom... check-box and then click on Scan now. Window will open. Check check-box with your external USB drive. Click on OK and scan should start.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
No threats detected. I'm surprised that you recommended my standard virus protection software. It seems that a lot of viruses go undetected by just one anti-virus software solution. I thought you were going to tell me to run OTL and GMER.

Shall I proceed with copying the files to my desktop?

Then I would like to scan my desktop again for any malware. What scans do you recommend?

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts

No threats detected.

This is good.

I'm surprised that you recommended my standard virus protection software. It seems that a lot of viruses go undetected by just one anti-virus software solution.

MSE has a good detecting rate for recent malware threats, so in my opinion you're good. But of course it is not 100% accurate. On the other hand almost nothing on this world is.

I thought you were going to tell me to run OTL and GMER.

These are different tools. We are using these tools for diagnostic proposes.

Shall I proceed with copying the files to my desktop?

Yes.

Then I would like to scan my desktop again for any malware. What scans do you recommend?

Kaspersky Online Scanner