Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you make a hack to make the print spooler start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Auslogics is your decision to use but I like it better.

Advertisements

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I hope this all works. Thank you for your help, but are you sure you don't want me to do anything else to my computer? Are there anymore fixes you want me to try? Please let me know. Thanks again. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once you are done with the steps and update the status of the issue then we will continue.
:D

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ok. Well I defragged the computer and installed the MSE, it's still slow and had a blue screen error when I installed and tried to use some new software today. Please let me know if there is anything else you want to do and we shall proceed. :D:D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ok I ran the checkdisk. Is there anything else you want me to do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did chkdsk find and repair anything?
Is the system still running slow?

Let's make sure all drives are using DMA mode

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your Hard drive controllers on both the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box open the drop down menu and select DMA if available
Redo the steps to check each of the Controllers
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect. Reply back with your results

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Did chkdsk find and repair anything?
Is the system still running slow?

Let's make sure all drives are using DMA mode

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your Hard drive controllers on both the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box open the drop down menu and select DMA if available
Redo the steps to check each of the Controllers
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect. Reply back with your results

The chkdisk made some repairs, but I don't know exactly what it repaired.

The computer is still running slowly, booting slowly and my internet is still slow on it despite the company saying that the lines are testing fine on my connection. The internet goes slightly better in safe mode, but I usually have problems on this computer despite what the company says.

I had two new blue screen errors in of all things safe mode which shocked me. It said PROCESS HAS LOCKED PAGES. This happened twice. Let me know if you know what it means and how to fix it.

I tried to see if the drives were using DMA mode, but IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers wasn't showing in Device manager at all. Is this a problem? Is there something else I should try?

Here is the link to my pcpitstop results http://www.pcpitstop...conid=24334672.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your PC Pit Stop log is a mess.
First we need to get all the drivers updated.
Try running Windows update and get all the critical updates. If you look at the log it shows 8 drivers including the network card driver that needs updating.

Advertisements

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Your PC Pit Stop log is a mess.
First we need to get all the drivers updated.
Try running Windows update and get all the critical updates. If you look at the log it shows 8 drivers including the network card driver that needs updating.

Ok could you remind me how to do the Windows update?

Are you saying the checkdisk helped? I don't know what it fixed.

What do you think of the Process has locked pages blue screen error I told you about? Can it be fixed?

Can the situation with the DMA suggestion you made in device manager be fixed as well?

Thanks. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The error PROCESS HAS LOCKED PAGES can be caused by so many different things it is hard to tell.
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Vista should work the same as Win 7 for Windows Update.
Go to The Search Button down at the lower left corner.
Then go to Control Panel
Scroll down till you see Windows Update and click that.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

The error PROCESS HAS LOCKED PAGES can be caused by so many different things it is hard to tell.
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Vista should work the same as Win 7 for Windows Update.
Go to The Search Button down at the lower left corner.
Then go to Control Panel
Scroll down till you see Windows Update and click that.

Thank you for replying rs. I don't know exactly when the error happened, or if you wanted me to look under Application or System. (Which did you want me to look under btw?) so I took a wild guess.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 4/28/2011 2:25:45 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Mommykins-PC
Description:
The program Explorer.EXE version 6.0.6001.18164 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: a9c Start Time: 01cc05c2caff5b2e Termination Time: 0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-28T18:25:45.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>11312</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Mommykins-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>
<Data>6.0.6001.18164</Data>
<Data>a9c</Data>
<Data>01cc05c2caff5b2e</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

I looked in the Windows Update, but it mentioned nothing about the drivers you mentioned. Just Office Xp service pack 3, an Internet Explorer update and optional updates for my acer monitor and usb. How do I access the updates you want me to get?

Thanks. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets work on the Nic card first. Click on your PC Pit Stop link in post 24
Now on the new page at the bottom of the list you will see in blue lettering:

Update network adapter driver
Click on that and it will take you to a new page.
The first section is called Driver Recommendations
In that list you will see all the drivers you can update.
In that list the last driver is the Nic card.
Click on the brown box with the arrow pointing down.
This should download the driver for you to update.
Let me know how that works out.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

OK lets work on the Nic card first. Click on your PC Pit Stop link in post 24
Now on the new page at the bottom of the list you will see in blue lettering:

Update network adapter driver
Click on that and it will take you to a new page.
The first section is called Driver Recommendations
In that list you will see all the drivers you can update.
In that list the last driver is the Nic card.
Click on the brown box with the arrow pointing down.
This should download the driver for you to update.
Let me know how that works out.

Sorry rs. I looked at the the link from post 24 and I didn't see Update network adapter driver. I saw Update Sound,video and game controllers Driver, but not Update network adapter driver. Am I looking in the wrong place or something? I clicked http://www.pcpitstop...conid=24334672. and I'm on the fixes tab. I looked at the other tabs and didn't see that either. I apologize, but could you help me find it because I don't see it. :)

I notice that I have 1 like for my post 28. Did you give that to me rs? Just wondering...