Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer starts on blue screen and reboots all the time

• Please log in to reply

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
No, i don't have a recovery CD...

Is there anything we still can do??

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
I'll see what else I can have you do. But try to find a way to get a Windows XP Professional Installation CD somewhere as that may probably be the only way to get this fixed.

Just for the record, you have an XP Product Key sticker at the bottom of your laptop, right?

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Ok, i will see if i can get a CD with the Windows XP Professional.

Yep, there is a sticker with the XP Product key code...

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hey, Maria10. Did you check the blue screen again after choosing the older Windows installation to see if it's the same message as before?

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hey Amlak,

Looks like the error has changed slightly i have attached the screen...

Attached Thumbnails

• blue scree 12 june.jpg

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hi, Maria10. Unfortunately, it's still basically the same message, and there's nothing much I can do for you except wait for you to grab a Windows XP Pro CD. That way, I can guide you through the format and installation and provide you with the needed drivers.

By the way, check your Product Key sticker and let me know if it says Retail or if it says OEM.

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Ok, thank you for your efforts on getting it sorted. I will try to get the WINDOWS CD as soon as possible so i can try formating it.

There is no mention of Retail or OEM on the product key sticker.

Thanks ;-)

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
What does it say (aside from the product key)?

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi Amlak,

I have tried to run the CD for Windows XP and it actually didn't go too far... as you have said before the HDD was on its way. So i got a blue screen with the following message: Setup did not find any hard disk drive installed in your computer...

So by the look of it i will have to replace the HDD :wacko:

I just wanted to thank you for your efforts and attention.

Take care :thumbsup:

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Maria10, before it is settled that it's the hard drive (and I don't doubt at all that it may be the hard drive itself that's the issue), try the following:

Go into the BIOS setup screen and change from AHCI mode to IDE mode. Let me know if you need help in that direction.

Advertisements

Maria10

Maria10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi,

I went into BIOS settings (SATA) and changed it from AHCI to compatibility as i couldn't see IDE option. After that tried to boot the computer and it worked. At this time it launched the WINDOWS. I can see the files i used to have in the desktop, but the mouse pad is not working and the wireless mouse also doesn't work.

Is that a good or bad sign?? What shall i do next?

Cheers
Maria10

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Ok, this is some good news then. Just give me some time to discuss what to do next with the expert supervising my fixes.

Unless you want a bigger sized hard drive, don't buy one just yet.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hey, Maria10. Do you have a USB mouse to connect to your laptop and to use for the time being?

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hey, Maria10. Please download the attached file to your USB, extract the file restore.bat from it, and keep the USB connected to the PC. Boot back into Reatogo (using the first CD you burned) and run the file (restore.bat).

Then restart your computer and boot back into Windows. Does it boot in successfully? Or does it do a blue screen again? Please keep in mind this fix isn't meant to fix your mouse issues (we'll get to that one soon). I just want to see if the latest setup of your Windows also boots in successfully.

Attached Files

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hi, Maria10. Please ignore the first attached file in the previous post and try this file instead. Somehow, typing it using Linux stuffs it up. Sorry about that.

Attached Files