Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ridiculous , absolutely ridiculous

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OC'ing would seem to be the culprit then if everything is working fine after setting everything back to default. I have never been a fan of it since it causes the hardware to work hotter then normal. That in itself would cause the over heating issue. It could be the CPU or memory were just being over worked due to the OC'ing. The problem with it is that it can and in most instances cause the life of a component to be shortened.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Indeed i have seen this alot however, it only started when i put in another ram stick which has been tested

I agree with my good colleague rshaffer61.
Overclocking
is enabled as a result of consumer demand.

It has been brought about really by the number of programs, particularly gaming, that require extra performance, when a new edition is released.

If the facility to reach that performance level by overclocking did not exist, then customers of computer manufacturers and components would be forced to consider another new piece of hardware be it memory, CPU or the GPU.

However as my colleague has said, it forces components to work beyond their default design capability and it is not a simple straight forward matter of changing basic settings, as temperatures need to be carefully considered.

Intel have for instance introduced overclock insurance for their CPU`s., again as a result of consumer demand.
However, like most insurances there are conditions and the overclocking must meet many requirements.

If as you say you have reset all to defaults and the porblem only arises when you insert the other stick of ram. -

Then your answer MAY be here in a short article I have prepared.
http://www.geekstogo...-do-i-purchase/

So I suggest you go here
http://download.giga...ga-p55-us3l.pdf

check if the ram you have is on the list of verified and checked ram for the board. NOTE they cannot check all ram of course and the fact that you have ram which is NOT on that list, if this is the case, does not mean that it will not work.

Then go to the processor site and check what spec is supported by that processor in the default specification.

If you have ram that is NOT within that specified by the processor eg. 1333 or 1066 as examples then may I again refer you to my short article.

AND again that does not mean that it will not work, it simply means that in order for it to do so, you may need to set particular parameters.

It may assist to know exactly which ram you have and which processor you have. Then it may be possible, to determine with a little more certainty, what MAY be the problem

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Everything looks good with the processor and ram, I am still getting this and its getting more and more frustrating. I have literally tried everything. No solution and it will even lead you to believe it is alright for a day or 2 then the next day it will crash every 10 minutes. It really makes no sense how it crashes on anything and completely randomly. With 0x09c machine check exception still prominent and i can't access quite a few of my games and full screens through the program bar i can only access them by starting them and then going to windows task manager and selecting them from there and they are working normally however they are constantly refreshing and permanently not responding i think this is the key to the issue which i can not understand why it is happening. I don't think this is ever going to get fixed nothing works.

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
:( still crashing with all types of bsods seen about 5 different ones
like 0x03b What the... .

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets start with the memory. Take out all but one stick of memory and run with just that. If no errors replace with another module and try.
The other option may be a out of date video driver but from your description I am more to believe it is a memory issue.

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

OK lets start with the memory. Take out all but one stick of memory and run with just that. If no errors replace with another module and try.
The other option may be a out of date video driver but from your description I am more to believe it is a memory issue.

Your on to something, i have tried with one stick for days now and no crashes, however sometimes in my games i get unplayable FPS so i need to find a way to get both in and working, i have yet to try the other one on its own yet but i can bet it will work, it just doesn't work with both.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

however sometimes in my games i get unplayable FPS

This is caused either by the video card driver or the lack of memory now.
Since you didn't get this error with all the memory I am more apt to believe it is the lack of memory causing the issue.

You mentioned earlier in this topic that you had added another memory module. Is it the same type of module as in DDR, DDR2. DDr3 with the same specs?
I'm wondering if we have a compatibility issue.
Since the system works with no errors with just the newer memory I am thinking is what you are running then we have two choices.
Check this memory using memtest86 and if it passes then what I would suggest is purchasing the same exact memory to increase your total amount back up where it was before.

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please do follow the advice of my colleague rshaffer61

HOWEVER in view of this

Your on to something, i have tried with one stick for days now and no crashes,

Did you EVER explore my suggestions in my post 32

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you for the quick reply, indeed i did check the options and it was fine, onto rshaffers comment i have already memtested both of them and they passed and i think by looking and reading their labels they are identical i think the computer can not handle both of them they are both 2gb and it works fine with one but when its 4gb i get good fps but it overheats i think its overheating and something can not handle both sticks they are using too much i think.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you remind us is your system branded or custom?
If branded what brand, make and model please.
If custom then what is the brand, make and model of the motherboard. To be stuck at only 2 gigs would date the board a couple of years back.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
AGAIN please do provide the answers to my colleague - before addressing my point.

When you say you have checked in relation to my post 38, the usual cause of this problem, apart from the more unusual issue of a defective ram stick or a defectrive ram slot, is

1. Overclocking - incorrect ram voltages, timings etc.

2. Ram NOT matched to processor.

If you read my brief article (written to attempt to explain this in simple terms) you will see that, as against simply relying on the ram the motherboard can deal with it is vital to consider the ram the processor can cope with. The days of ram being dictated by the northbridge chip of the board and therefore you being able to reply on the ram specifications of the board are now no longer the ONLY consideration.

RAM is now controlled from the processor.

If we take your motherboard the ram the BOARD can deal with is
GA-P55-US3L

• 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Support for DDR3 2200/1600/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
  • Support for non-ECC memory modules
  • Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
If we then for example look at just ONE possible processor the Intel i5 - the situation is somewhat different

http://ark.intel.com...-Cache-3_33-GHz)

DDR3-1066/1333

Additionally on that board, as on any other certain processors will only work in an ideal capacity and performance on certain specified BIOS and all that is explained on the CPU charts on the motherboard site.

I HOPE you do not think I am labouring the point but in my experience the problem you have is very likely attributable to the ram, the CPU, the board and their overall compatability

Finally the fact that the ram may NOT be the ram handled by default on YOUR processor, does not mean that it will not work, simply that it is unlikely to work satisfactorily without configuring ram settings, rather than relying on default.

I AM JUST REVIEWING THE WHOLE TOPIC but this seems to be the relevant point at tbis stage

Another thing i had 4gb ram in my computer and 1 stick wasn't working so i had 2gb working , i went into the computer and looked at it and finally got it working to say 4gb on windows rating, also it is in the 1 and 3 slot + the problems started around this time.

What did you do when you say you looked at it., as that quote is from your first post when you opened this topic, and we are now back to the same stage, that it works OK with the one stick of ram

and this

and it works fine with one but when its 4gb i get good fps but it overheats i think its overheating and something can not handle both sticks they are using too much i think

does I think tend to suggest that you perhaps do need to check again the ram specifications against the processor as on my article.

OR your settings are wrong.

To save me reading it all again have you changed the stick of 2Gb that workds, for the other 2Gb stick. That as my colleague has said is a quicker and to some extent a more definite test than Memtest.

However memtest stresses the ram, whereas simply changing the stick is NOT a test, unless it fails immediately, UNTIL you load the ram.

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
urgenthelp,

Are you able to zip and upload the files in the c:\windows\minidump directory?

If you can I will have a look at them.

Regards.

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
@Macboatmaster i thank you again for your continued help, i have tried to read your thread and understand it as much as i can however i am not too good on all the technicals. I have tried to read the bios over 50 times in this process and "1. Overclocking - incorrect ram voltages, timings etc." seems to be the imminent problem. as i have no clue on what to do with them. when i looked at the ram stick it wasn't clipped it properly so i clipped it in. I will not also switch the sticks.

@Shintaro I will try to do this later. thanks

@rshaffer61 its custom and the board is a GA-P55-US3L

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I am 99% sure that my ram is two sticks of http://www.alibaba.c..._DDR3_1333.html it has the exat same UNB PC3-10600 CL9 on them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this your motherboard HERE?
If so I see the memory slots are colored so you would have to make sure that the memory is in the blue slots first and then if you have 2 other modules they would go into the white slots.