Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Think i have it narrowed down, but can't be sure.

• Please log in to reply

Kaito

Kaito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

All your crashes are due to the video driver. Here is what I found on this.

atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
These actions might prevent an error like this from happening again:

Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
Scan your computer for computer viruses.
Check your hard disk for errors.

First try to go to Windows Updates and see if there is a newer driver for your video card. Most likely it will be under the optional updates in the hardware area.
If not then we need to try AMD and see what they have.

Downloaded my Windows updates. i have a 100% BSOD rate trying to get back into windows, same as before.
Had to do a system restore back to before the updates we're installed (which removes the dump file from windows so i can't post it)

All i could read was "atikmpag.sys"

So pretty sure something within the new updates is having a major conflict with my Graphics Drivers (Note i've installed 12.4, 12.5, 12.6 And the new 12.7 Beta drivers.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK let me ask are you installing just the driver or the complete Catalyst Suite?
If the latter that may be your problem. All you need is the driver itself. Did any of the versions you post work?

Kaito

Kaito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

OK let me ask are you installing just the driver or the complete Catalyst Suite?
If the latter that may be your problem. All you need is the driver itself. Did any of the versions you post work?

i did try to download it "Software only" but it did install CCC every download link ive tried installed CCC ill Look more indepth on installing the driver only. i think im missing something right infront of me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes there should be a smaller link that says Driver Only
We have found the suite is more trouble then it is worth.

Kaito

Kaito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Yes there should be a smaller link that says Driver Only
We have found the suite is more trouble then it is worth.

I don't think they have a driver only. i've googled it, ive asked others to look for it, i've even went though the page manually. so... either they don't do it, or we're all dumb..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you give me the link you are using.

Kaito

Kaito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Can you give me the link you are using.

AMD

been using this site, for all my ATI needs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK am I right in assuming your video is built onboard the motherboard?

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I've been reading your dumps. There's a chance it could be DirectX causing the problems for you. I would recommend updating or over-witting your current version of DirectX.

DirectX can be found here

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it does look like most of the errors are coming from the DX. Try that first if you don't mind.

Advertisements

Kaito

Kaito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
My Graphics card is a XFX 4890 HD 1GB Graphics card, not on-board :)
I Have downloaded the new Direct X. do you want me to install the windows updates again to see if i still have the 100% BSOD rate with them?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you install the new DX?
Lets see what happens once the DX is installed first. That may take care of the issue by itself.

Kaito

Kaito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Did you install the new DX?
Lets see what happens once the DX is installed first. That may take care of the issue by itself.

On Sun 12/08/2012 09:24:05 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081212-14414-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x8EFC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8008C6D4E0, 0xFFFFF88006D40EFC, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Sat 11/08/2012 22:47:04 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081112-16317-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x8EFC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8008C5C010, 0xFFFFF88006DA3EFC, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Since installing the new Direct X

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Ok next step is to uninstall your graphics card XFX 4890 HD driver from device manager. You could restart your computer once it's been uninstalled and see if Windows picks up your graphics card. Post back if Windows can't pick it up. If Windows does pick it up. Let Windows install your graphics card for you.

Edited by MikeMason, 12 August 2012 - 03:56 AM.

Kaito

Kaito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Ok next step is to uninstall your graphics card XFX 4890 HD driver from device manager. You could restart your computer once it's been uninstalled and see if Windows picks up your graphics card. Post back if Windows can't pick it up. If Windows does pick it up. Let Windows install your graphics card for you.

Windows has installed the drivers, no BSOD.
That pretty much means the new ATI drivers are incomparable with my PC then, correct?