Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help from Heir, virus causing computer to freeze and cause blue s

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Yes sir
The results are: After letting the computetr sit for several hours, my wife returned to the screen to find the initial issue we wrote about - frozen computer. No response to mouse, keyboard, arrow keys, escape or cntl-alt-del. She had to turn the box off and reboot. So we are back to square one, but at least the system is not crashing with blue screen errors. Is an option to restore to some kown good operating condition back in March when the system was working normally?

Edited by groch, 06 May 2013 - 06:02 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I am wondering if it is a heating problem, could you check the system for dust. http://www.wikihow.c...e-of-a-Computer

If you have a restore point from prior to this happening then it would be worth a try

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Could you please outline the steps for searching for restore point history? We'll also clean the unit and see if that helps. Its a good thought
Thank you

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Go to control panel > recovery
Select system restore

Select Choose a different restore point

Then select one as far back as you can

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Essexboy
Sorry for the slow response. Our family will be taking a short vacation until next Tuesday May 15th so we won't be able to perform corrective actions. Can you keep the post open until then? thank you
Richard Groch

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem, have a nice holiday :)

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
We get the following message from windows restore. Uninstalled Avast and repeated the restore and got the same message. The timing of all our problems were around the time Avast tried to request an upgrade to the non free Avast version. Task manager shows no Avast processes running

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Lets reinstall Avast

Download Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run aswClear
  • It will offer to reboot to safe mode .. Accept that
    Posted Image
  • Once it has rebooted to safe mode
  • In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.
  • Press Uninstall
  • Once complete reboot your system to Normal Mode
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Good evening Essexboy.
Thanks for holding the post open while we were on vacation. We are performing the uninstallation / reinstallation. We'll post results later this evening.
Thank you
Groch

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem, the download link for the free version is the first one... I will adjust that post to make it look prettier :)

Advertisements

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Hello Essexboy
We have reinstalled Avast. The computer worked for about 36 hours before it froze. Since that time freezes are occurring again, sometimes within 5 minutes. At ground zero again. Now that we have reinstalled Avast, we should complete the last task attempted before the Avast issue, correct? That was to attempt a restore to a previous point. Inspection of our restore points show the earliest recorded is April 24, which is after our current issue started. Researching the subject, Microsoft says restore points are kept unitl they fall off the back of the list due to file size. Our record only goes back a couple of points. Is there another place where prior restore points are saved?
Thank you
Groch

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes select that restore point, but first disable the Avast self protection module
Open Avast select Settings > Trouble shooting
Remove the tick from the self defence module and accept the warning

Now restore the system to the earlier time

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I brought the computer into our local repair shop who has offered to take a look at the system for hardware issues / software issues. I have my suspicions as one of the first items mentioned when I checked status this afternoon was we had too many antivirus programs running, a direct contradiction to this site's layered approach using Avast, Spywareguard and Spywareblaster. We'll see. I'll keep you informed when we get our box back. Apologize for the late response, we had a national holiday here in the States yesterday and I was out of town again.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hmm that is a weird comment as only Avast is an active element, the other two are passive.... Plus they are antimalware not antivirus . I would be intrigued to know what he finds out

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Got the computer back. Their findings:"sfc and chkdsk found no issues, hardware all passed with flying colors. Minor virus infection. Java update froze computer. Ran tweaking and then re-ran same java update with no issues. Ran Prime from 3:00pm 5/29 to 9:30am 5/30 with no issues". So far so good, we'll see.