Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help from Heir, virus causing computer to freeze and cause blue s

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I wonder what their minor virus infection was ?

Advertisements

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I was told it was a spyware, so I don't believe it was a virus per se. I do not believe they are anywhere experienced as you and your team are in virus removal of detection. This is small town Florence Alabama remember. I really wanted to bring the unit in to verify there were no hardware issues (overheating). My fears were founded as the computer froze twice yesterday. Once while web surfing with Chrome, once in Outlook answering email. I also changed the mouse to a hard wired version as another precaution. I believe I should now try the restore to a previous version, the solution attempt we were looking at before I brought the box in.
Bummer.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hmm is it now becoming apparent mainly when online.. As this would then suggest looking at the wireless driver I will check this out and come back with any resolution I may find. Also could you run the clean boot and see if that makes any difference at all

To save you trawling for it I will repost

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility

1.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
2.The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
2.Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
3.Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
4.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
5.Click the Services tab.
6.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
7.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
8.When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows

1.If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
2.When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

Notes?

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
?The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.
?Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

Try the system out.. Do the freezes still occur ?

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I get this box (attached file). It does not have the choices you've outlined

Attached Thumbnails

• Start up.jpg

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Aggh me numpty I gave the wrong instructions

Next we will check for driver conflicts

Step 1: Start MSConfig

Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

Step 2: Configure Selective Startup options

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.

Posted Image

2.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
Note The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.

3.Click the Services tab.

Posted Image

4.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
5.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

Try the system out.. Do the freezes still occur ?

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
We'll test it out today and post results. Thanks again!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My apologies for giving the XP details, I must have had a blonde moment

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
image.jpg Got this blue screen with my wife playing solitaire following your last instructions. His seems to be a step backwards, we got freezes that we could get past by powering off. This blue screen is a different behavior this weekend

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK reset the services back to normal by reversing the last step... The indications there are either memory or an AV driver

So as the shop cleared the memory

Download Microsoft Security Essentials to your desktop
Download Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.

Uninstall Avast via Control Panel
  • Run aswClear
  • It will offer to reboot to safe mode .. Accept that
    Posted Image
  • Once it has rebooted to safe mode
  • In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.
  • Press Uninstall
  • Once complete reboot your system to Normal Mode
  • Install Microsoft Security Essentials

Has that helped ?

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Struggling to keep system stable to make the changes. Froze twice trying to boot up following blue screen. Will try in safe mode

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK there is definitely something amiss there, but I can see no software cause... I will have a rethink once you have succeeded in uninstalling Avast

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Ok!! The computer was very unstable even in safe mode. Took 4 or 5 tries either getting freezes or blue screens. Finally was able to reverse the startup, uninstall Avast and install MSE. Scan upon installation was clean and at least for the first hour the system is stable. I'll report back tomorrow.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ta, checking the Avast forum there is about 1% or less where systems are adversely affected by the drivers. So far they have been unable to pin down the cause

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
OK, maybe some more information for root cause identification. Following the installation of MSE, we let the computer on all night with no issues. As soon as my wife starting using the computer this morning to play Solitaire, the computer froze within 5 minutes. I am coming to the conclustion this is a video driver issue. I don't recall if during all the corrective actions the driver was updated. Thoughts?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hmm you did update the driver earlier but the system became unstable

What is the video card on your computer... Device manager should be able to provide the data. I will then find the last stable driver for that