Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help from Heir, virus causing computer to freeze and cause blue s

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
We are unable to start the computer. Blue screens during Windows boot up in Safe Mode. I'll find the video card in the invoice

Advertisements

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
The video card is NVIDIA GeForce G310, 512 MB DDR3, according to my Service Tag. We continue to be unable to start the computer in safe mode without a blue screen crash. I'm not sure what has changed causing the issue.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Did the shop check out the video card when they looked at it ?

At the safe mode menu could you select the following option Enable low resolution video (640 × 480)

Then let me know if it still blue screens

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
The shop told us that all hardware "checked out with flying colors". I'll get to work on the low res boot up

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
There are three safe mode options displayed:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe Mode with command prompt
How do we access the option for low resolution?

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Right now, when attempting to start up, we were presented 2 options, Windows repair or start windows normally. We chose Windows repair and are now waiting for results. Is there any thought to re-install Windows?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That would probably be the next option, if the problem continues after that then we are definitely looking at hardware

Are you happy with the reinstallation of windows ? What to back up and keep and how to do it

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
OK. The Windows repair allowed the computer to boot up, but froze soon after. I'll try to turn off and re-boot to safe mode and quickly try to change to a lower resolution. I have a 1 TB external hard drive that I perform a full system back up once a month using Comodo Back up, if that helps you at all with options forward.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you have an image from before all these problems appeared ? If so use that one (backing up any recent data first :) )

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I'll check, but I believe the data is overwritten each month. It may be because the system has been mostly non functional it hasn't occurred and I'll have that image. Easy to verify looking at dates

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
On your computer do you have a video card in an AGP or PCI slot in addition to the onboard video chip

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I have not installed any additional video cards, and I don't know if the factory installation uses a slot (don't believe so). I do have a card in one of the PCI slots that adapts an older IDE hard drive I had to SATA on this system. It's been running fine as far as I know. The system has been up and running in safe mode for 24 hours now.

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Sorry, it's not in a PCI slot, it's a small card mounted on the old drive

groch

groch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Looks like this

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK so it is something in normal mode that is causing the crashes

Darn this is a difficult one to track down

How long in normal mode before it crashes ?