Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help can't update windows 7 internet explorer as i get error

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

failed install also just some info in programs showes two shortcuts for internet explorer one that reads "internet explorer" and one that reads "internet explorer (64-bit)"

attached the IE10_main.log

Hi,

Now we have a different error... The two shortcuts for Internet Explorer are normal on a Windows 7 x64.

Did you use the full IE install?

Please run TFC again and restart. This is to make sure all temporary files used by the installer are gone before trying to install again.

Advertisements

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Did you use the full IE install? - yes

Please run TFC again and restart - yes

tryed reinstalling IE10 full install - failed

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Before trying something else I need to ask about the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update from post #27. Did you reinstall the x86 and x64 versions of this update?

In case you are not sure please reinstall vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe and then try to install Internet Explorer if it fails move to the next step.

Let's try another fix for one of the errors in you logs... please go to this Microsoft page
  • Apply the FixIt from Method 1
  • Run the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool from Method 2

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Did you reinstall the x86 and x64 versions of this update? - no only x64

In case you are not sure please reinstall vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe and then try to install Internet Explorer if it fails move to the next step - yes intalled both and IE10 failed to install

•Apply the FixIt from Method 1 - yes

•Run the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool from Method 2 - yes and tryed reinstalling IE10 but failed.

Thanks for continuing to try and help me through this as I guess not so simple to fix. I have seen that others have had this problem but have not seen fix for it.

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Thanks for continuing to try and help me through this as I guess not so simple to fix. I have seen that others have had this problem but have not seen fix for it.

No problem it's a learning experience also.

It seems Microsoft made this very complicated...

Please visit this page and reinstall all the updates in order selecting the x64 packages, after this reboot and try to install IE 10.

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Please visit this page and reinstall all the updates in order selecting the x64 packages, after this reboot and try to install IE 10.

tried installing all updates on this page but the message of this update is already installed came back each time so I did not try to install IE10 again.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

tried installing all updates on this page but the message of this update is already installed came back each time so I did not try to install IE10 again.

Hi,

Ok, we need to manually try to install the problematic package and see if we can get a more informative log about the problem source.

• open the folder C:\WINDOWS\TEMP and remove all the files and folders inside, it's normal to find some that will not go...
  • start the Internet Explorer 10 full installer
  • with the install running check the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder for a new folder with name starting with IE*****.tmp open the folder and copy everything inside to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
  • make sure the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder have a file called IE10-neutral.Downloaded.cab
  • now open the command prompt as Administrator (Tutorial) and type the following commands:
    cd c:\windows\temp
    dism /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\TEMP\IE10-neutral.Downloaded.cab /norestart /LogPath:c:\windows\temp\dims.log /LogLevel:1

• attach the dims.log generated

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
1.open the folder C:\WINDOWS\TEMP and remove all the files and folders inside, it's normal to find some that will not go... - completed

2.start the Internet Explorer 10 full installer - completed

3.with the install running check the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder for a new folder with name starting with IE*****.tmp open the folder and copy everything inside to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP - tried but message:

"The Action Can't be completed because the folder is open in ienrcore.exe - Close the folder and try again. - IE10-neutral.Downloaded - contains compressed files" clicked "try again" still would not copy so i clicked "skip"

4.make sure the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder have a file called IE10-neutral.Downloaded.cab - this file not in folder.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Are you sure you choose copy and not move?

I did this and didn't have any problem copying the files, the files should be locked and can't be deleted or move but should be possible to copy.
Try to copy only the IE10-neutral.Downloaded.cab file from inside the IE***.tmp folder.

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
6.attach the dims.log generated - ok don't know why I got that message before closed all IE windows and re-tried and this time was able to move files with no messages

Attached Files

• Attached File  dims.log   667bytes   640 downloads

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

6.attach the dims.log generated - ok don't know why I got that message before closed all IE windows and re-tried and this time was able to move files with no messages

The log is very small!

From the command prompt running as Administrator type the following:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
cd c:\windows\temp
dism /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\TEMP\IE10-neutral.Downloaded.cab /norestart /LogPath:c:\windows\temp\dims.log /LogLevel:4

Attach the c:\windows\temp\dims.log log and %windir%/Logs/CBS/CBS.log the last one could be big if it's the case zip the file and upload to http://www.sendspace.com and post the sharing link.

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth - did this and response was "error: 87 - The scanhealth option is not recognized in this context. - For more informatiom refer to the help"

at this point I stopped since I got that error but here is the dims log - file to large to upload here is the link : http://www.sendspace.com/file/f8cr19

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth - did this and response was "error: 87 - The scanhealth option is not recognized in this context. - For more informatiom refer to the help"

at this point I stopped since I got that error but here is the dims log - file to large to upload here is the link : http://www.sendspace.com/file/f8cr19

Hi,

No problem I also get the same error on mine, run the second dism command and the others.

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Error: 87

The restorehealth option is not recognized in this context.
For more information, refer to the help.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Windows\system32>cd c:\windows\temp

c:\Windows\Temp>dism /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\TEMP\IE10-neut
ral.Downloaded.cab /norestart /LogPath:c:\windows\temp\dims.log /LogLevel:4

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385
after running this command : dism /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\TEMP\IE10-neutral.Downloaded.cab /norestart /LogPath:c:\windows\temp\dims.log /LogLevel:4 - this is what was displayed:
Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Processing 1 of 1 - Adding package Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Package-To
pLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.2.9200.16521
[===========================66.8%====== ]
An error occurred - Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Package-TopLevel Error: 0
x80073701

Error: 14081

The referenced assembly could not be found.

The DISM log file can be found at c:\windows\temp\dims.log

c:\Windows\Temp>

%windir%/Logs/CBS/CBS.log - link here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/usvmhu

c:\windows\temp\dims.log - attached

Attached Files

• Attached File  dims.log   35.18KB   7404 downloads

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

From command prompt running as Administrator try to remove Internet Explorer 9
FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

any errors?

Reboot and try the dism command again.
dism /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\TEMP\IE10-neutral.Downloaded.cab /norestart /LogPath:c:\windows\temp\dims.log /LogLevel:4