Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing/Restarts while streaming video & during startup

• Please log in to reply

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi folks. I built my computer this past weekend and unfortunately, I've been having problems since then.
I first started noticing the problem as a completely random reboot. The computer would freeze for a few seconds and then reboot itself. I kept taking notes each time the computer rebooted and discovered that the reboots usually occurred while streaming video. In fact, I am able to replicate the problem every single time I go to watch a video on CBS.com. Because I thought video was the problem, I reinstalled the drivers for the graphics card, but that didn't fix the problem. I went and checked all of the other drivers that came with the motherboard and reinstalled all of those from Gigabyte's website. No such luck. I even did a clean install of Windows 7 to make sure that that wasn't the problem. Games run beautifully on this computer, but for some reason it appears that streaming video taxes it in some way. I've also noticed the reboots happening when I first turn on the computer before Windows 7 can even load. Usually, it will get to the "starting Windows" screen, reboot itself, and then it will load everything fine on a second try. Every once in awhile while watching video, after several instances of reboots, it will Blue Screen instead. The Blue Screen hasn't occured since my fresh install of Windows.

I've been trying to narrow down my suspects so I've been running tests.
Unfortunately, I am unable to entirely rule out the graphics card because my motherboard doesn't have a video output and I don't have another card to swap it with.
I ran Western Digital's dianostic tool to check the hard drive-- both the standard and extended tests came back with no errors.
I also ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, standard and extended to check the RAM, but I didn't get any errors. Interestingly, though, I haven't had any reboots with just 1 stick of RAM installed. It doesn't matter which stick or which slot, but I haven't gotten a reboot with just 1 stick. I almost always get a reboot when the 2 sticks are installed. Does this mean anything? I have no idea. I'm also currently running memtest to cover all of my bases.

I've checked for overheating and the max temp I've seen is around 32 C while playing games like Banished and Minecraft.

If anyone has any suggestions, any hints, they would be greatly appreciated. Solutions even more so. I'm reaching a point where I don't know what to do or what to test next.

The specs are:
CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7770 2GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,784 posts
:welcome: Katehsparrow

You have done everything right as far as testing goes :thumbsup:

When the computer is working with the single stick of Ram inserted can you check that it is running at 1600MHz please, you may need to reboot and check this in the BIOS.

Does the computer work ok with either one of the 2 sticks of Ram inserted.

Things of note are that Gigabyte say that a BIOS update is needed to run an FX CPU in the board, see here, has this been done.

For the most stable performance when using two sticks of Ram they should be inserted in slots 1 and 2 (see attachment) are these the 2 slots that you used when the system was unstable.

The GSkill Aries Ram is not on the MBs QVL list (here) this does not mean that it is not compatible with the MB but keep in mind that having Ram that is on the MBs QVL is less likely to lead to problems.

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Phil,

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my problem. I'm glad to know that I've been doing the right things.

I checked BIOS with each stick of RAM inserted individually into slot 1 and both read at about 1600 MHz.

Prior, I had the sticks of RAM installed in slots 3 and 4 because I had been getting the same problem in slots 1 and 2.

The computer appears to work fine with either one of the sticks of RAM inserted.

I also checked out my version of BIOS. I had done this before and my BIOS says that it is version F5, which is the most recent version available on the site. Do you think that that downloadable version of BIOS would be any different and help with compatibility anymore than my current installed version of F5?

That last bit is very interesting-- I didn't select the parts myself, as I am new to computer building. I had a friend of mine who has done several builds help me with it. So I didn't know that this type of RAM isn't on the QVL list. I'm not sure what to do with that information-- purchase RAM that is on the list and hope that it works better?

Thanks again for your help, Phil! I hope I provided enough information. Let me know what else you need from me!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,784 posts
Hello Katehsparrow

Unfortunately the system working with either stick of Ram inserted individually does not rule out the Ram completely, it does though make it less likely.

It is good news that you have the latest BIOS because flashing/updating the BIOS is a last resort because if it goes wrong the MB is effectively hosed.

Can you reboot the computer, go into the BIOS and select the MBs default factory settings (they are sometimes listed as most stable settings) save the new settings and exit.

Next, before I suggest doing any physical testing that involves removing/swapping components around can I ask you to follow the steps below so that we can check the memory slot voltages etc.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

You are welcome btw :)

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Phil,

Sorry for the delay in response. My boss's husband is an IT guy and offered to take a look at my computer and ran a few tests of his own. Which tests, I haven't the slightest idea. He told me that if it was his computer, he would see about replacing the motherboard.

I still want to know what you think, though, because I have heard (and he admits himself) that it is very difficult to diagnose a bad motherboard. I ran SpeedFan, but was unable to get the all of the readings (voltages, I believe) at the bottom of your screen shot. I also changed the BIOS settings to default.

I wanted to note that the reboots are occurring more frequently now and the pattern is getting harder to recognize. For example, I went into Google Chrome to view the forums and got a reboot. I also had to go through several reboots before Windows 7 eventually started up.

Here is what my readings looked like:

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFan.JPG

Edited by Katehsparrow, 23 March 2014 - 04:21 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
While Phillpower2 is abed, I'll give some suggestions.
Try a differer monitoring tool, Please download and install, HWMonitor > http://www.guru3d.co...r_download.html
Run full screen so we can see everything, Please post a screenshot.

Your system seems more stable with just one RAM stick, so suggest you run it like that for the moment until the problem is found.

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hi there,

Here are my readings from HWMonitor:

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitor.jpg

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Stopping in to add another update. I've been trying to startup my computer but it seems like it no longer wants to start Windows. It either automatically reboots itself or, just now, it froze and a long continuous beep came from the speaker in the motherboard.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

A long continuous beep is usually memory or video card.

1. RAM has failed detection, If you are just running on one stick? try using the other, any good?

2. The PSU may be faulty. HWMoniter looks like having problems with some sensors, (temps, as with Speedfan, look OK) but does show incorrect voltages.   This could stop the GPU from working.

Can you borrow a PSU to test the system?

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

I ran HWMonitor again with the other stick of RAM. I don't think it was detected this time either, but I've attached the readings for you to take a look at.

As far as the PSU goes, I can try my best to put some feelers out to see if there is anyone I know that has an extra PSU sitting around, but I doubt it. Is there any other way to check the PSU?

One things that I should have noted earlier is that the GPU is an open box item. I'm not sure how that fits into the puzzle, as it looks less and less like the GPU is actually causing the problem but I figured I would mention it. It is the only item from my build that is open box.

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitor2.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,784 posts

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V rails and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Can you try your video card in the second PCI-E X16 slot to see if there is any change in the computers behaviour.

BTW the Speedfan screenshot in your reply #5 shows high CPU usage for a computer that is not under load!

Thanks for the additional support iammykyl  :thumbsup:

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

The voltage and temp readings I got from BIOS were:

+3.3V: 3.304V

+5V: 5.040V

+12V: 12.168V

CPU Temp: 19C

System Temp: 24C

I've already moved the GPU to the second PCI slot but didn't notice any changes.

I don't know anything about CPU usage, but I have had Windows CPU usage widget up while working on this problem and have noticed that when I'm attempting to stream videos the usage can at times go all the way up to a little over 50%.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,784 posts

Temps and voltages look fine in the BIOS.

Acknowledged that the GPU has been tried in the second slot.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to:  http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/default.asp

Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information  :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hi there Phill,

It took me a bit to get it to work (for some reason my date was set to 2072 and that messed up things on the website), but I finally have the results for you.

Here's the link:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25579126

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,784 posts

Hello Katehsparrow

Couple of things of note in the test results, 1: You do not have any AV protection running. 2: Software was installed on 3/25/72 which we know is not possible.

Please check that the time and date on you computer are correct and then post back.

Sorry to say this but due to there be no AV protection, the high CPU usage, the anomalous date and an unstable computer in general you may be needing the assistance of the experts over on the malware forums  :(