Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing/Restarts while streaming video & during startup

• Please log in to reply

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hi Phill,

The date was set to 2072 on my computer and I had to change it back to 2014 to get PitStop to work.

Aw man... that's one thing that I didn't want to hear. :( I guess I'll go create a topic over in the malware forums and link them back to this topic for reference.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello Katehsparrow

Couple of things of note in the test results, 1: You do not have any AV protection running. 2: Software was installed on 3/25/72 which we know is not possible.

Please check that the time and date on you computer are correct and then post back.

Sorry to say this but due to there be no AV protection, the high CPU usage, the anomalous date and an unstable computer in general you may be needing the assistance of the experts over on the malware forums  :(

Hello Katehsparrow

Sorry but we appear to have crossed wires as I said that you may need the assistance of the experts on the malware forums.

If your RTC (real time clock) had not been set correctly from the outset it may explain the instability issues that you have been having, this because software may not install correctly and that software such as the OS which is Windows 7 in this instance will not be able to update due to the date being out of synch, the time and date have clearly been correct at some point and this is evident by the installation dates of other software that has been installed.

The reason that I asked you to check that your time and date was still correct and then post back was so that I could ask you to shut down the computer, remove the power cord from the wall socket, press the power button to dispel any residual charge in the computer, reconnect the power cord, boot up and then check that the time and date was still correct, this to check if there is a problem with the CMOS battery or the BIOS chip that stores the time and date, you can still do this check for us if you will please.

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Oh goodness, it seems like I jumped the gun on that! Apologies-- I thought that that was just your way of gently letting me know that I should seek help over at the malware forums. I asked them the close my topic over there for the time being.

I did as you asked with the power cord and button and when I started up my computer the date and time were correct.

I also wanted to let you know that it is taking more and more attempts for the computer to finally load Windows. It took about 10 attempts/reboots today to get the desktop to  load. Most of the reboots occur at the 'Starting Windows' screen.

Thanks for sticking with me, Phill!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Not to worry Katehsparrow misunderstandings can and do happen, it is however prudent to get the all clear from Dakeyras before we continue here, this so that we do not interfere with any work in progress/malware removal

We will be here should you need to return to this topic after Dakeyras has given the computer the all clear.

You are most welcome btw  :)

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Sounds good! I'll continue working with Dakeyras and hopefully I won't need to come back to this topic. :)

Thanks again. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

You are most welcome and as previously stated we will be around should Dakeyras advise you to come back here  :thumbsup:

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hi Phill,

I am back again, unfortunately. I have worked with Dakeyras through all the malware removal steps and still have a fussy, randomly rebooting computer.

Here is a link to the previous topic:

The last steps I have taken with the computer is a wipe of the hard drive and a reinstall of Windows. During that reinstall, the computer rebooted itself and I had to make a second attempt to get the OS to install properly. This was a sign to me that I'm still dealing with a hardware problem. It also rebooted in the middle of the night as I was installing Windows updates.

I am really thinking that I might RMA the motherboard, as you can see from my posts in the previous topic. I just can't figure out what we haven't tested and my 30 days are up with Newegg on Monday. :(

I was able to switch out the graphics card with a different one to see if that was the problem, but no such luck. 

Since we last spoke I have made a connection with someone who has a bunch of (old) spare components lying around. He supplied me with the graphics card and says he has some old power supplies hanging around if I want to test that too.

Let me know what you think, Phil! 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

I am really thinking that I might RMA the motherboard, as you can see from my posts in the previous topic. I just can't figure out what we haven't tested and my 30 days are up with Newegg on Monday.  :(

I agree, contact Newegg streight away to get a RMA ticket.   It may not be the MB.   A pain i know, but I think in this instance, better now than find a MB fault later.

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Opps, here's the link: http://www.geekstogo...-malware-issue/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello again Katehsparrow

iammykyl is correct regarding the RMA, this due to the 30 days being up soon + the amount of documented failures this model of board has had, read the first 3 - 4 pages of Newegg reviews here

If for some reason you are unable to ship the board back today let us know and we can do some further testing.

In your OP you list the OS as Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) 

Is this on a disk purchased from a store or downloaded and burnt to disk or saved on a flash drive or other storage device.

Advertisements

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hi folks,

I followed both of your advice and started an RMA for my motherboard. I'll send it out on Monday. 

I was also wondering what you guys thought about RMAing the CPU as well? I'm thinking I might do it as well because why not... its not like I have extra CPUs hanging around that I can test with...

Anyway, to answer your question-- I purchased the disk from Newegg as well.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello Katehsparrow

If you have the time there are two quick checks that you can do before shipping the board and possibly the CPU back;

1: Disable the USB 3.0 ports in the BIOS to see if the high CPU usage and freezing/re-starts stop.

2: Check the colour of the CPU cooler mounting bracket on the MB, if it black it is the correct one but if it is white plastic it is the wrong one and a documented manufacturing fault, both would be reasons to return the board but it would be good to know if we had pinpointed the cause of the problem.

As the OS disk is an original OEM type it makes that less likely as being the cause of a bad installation. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Phillpower2.

Hello Katehsparrow

2: Check the colour of the CPU cooler mounting bracket on the MB, if it black it is the correct one but if it is white plastic it is the wrong one and a documented manufacturing fault, 

Interested where you found the info.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Gday iammykyl

• Scott K.
  • 1/16/2014 10:03:54 AM
  • Tech Level: none.gif
  • Ownership: none.gif
  • none.gifVerified Owner

none.gifWrong CPU Socket

This review is from: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Pros: Gigabyte is pretty good about support when the product fails.

Cons: Was told by gigabyte the 2 DOA boards I got had the wrong CPU socket on them. They are supposed to be black (AM3+) mine were white (NOT AM3+ compatible). There is a manufacturing/assembly problem. Hopefully they get the situation resolved and get a good product on the shelves soon.

Other Thoughts: I usually love Gigabyte. Usually the top-of-the-line product.

Manufacturer Response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your comments. We apologize for your difficulty with your GIGABYTE product. Please contact us at [email protected] with the case number 104897 in the e-mail subject line. We will provide personalized service and analysis to help solve your issue ASAP. If the matter is urgent, please send us your contact number, and we will contact you.

GIGABYTE VIP Support Team

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Sorry for the delay in response!

I checked the CPU socket-- its black. I also disabled USB 3.0 in BIOS with no such luck.

The motherboard and CPU are packed up and ready to head out tomorrow morning.

I'll post back when I hear from Newegg and keep you folks updated on what's going on! :)

Cross your fingers!