Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing/Restarts while streaming video & during startup

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

No worries and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

You will hopefully have better luck with the replacements.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Thanks Phillpower2 for the info, Gigabyte was quick to reply and the VIP team.

Katehsparrow.

Will look out for your next post, got my legs crossed for you as well.

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hi folks.

Popping in with an update. My RMA for my motherboard was approved and I received a new one today.

The RMA for my CPU is another story. Newegg claims that there is physical damage to the pins on the CPU due to improper installation-- which is sort of the last thing I expected. Everything went smoothly when I installed it. Matched up the arrows, etc.  So now they are sending it back to me and it will arrive in about a week. 

I guess my question for you guys is: does this make sense? Does damaged CPU pins match up with all the symptoms?

And I guess for when I get it back-- I was reading about methods for straightening pins on CPUs using credit cards and other means. What do you think? Of course, its hard to stay without knowing the extent of the damage. Or do you think that these methods are old wives tales and I should just bite the bullet and get a new CPU?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello Katehsparrow

I guess my question for you guys is: does this make sense? Does damaged CPU pins match up with all the symptoms?

No, the bent pins would short out + I have yet to hear of a CPU that has bent pins that will work ok with 1 stick of Ram inserted but not with 2 sticks inserted  :headscratch:

When you removed the CPU did it come out ok or did it stick to the heatsink, did you return the CPU in the packaging that it shipped with, including the pin guard (the pins may have become bent on removal or in return shipping).

Depending on how bent the pins are, you may be able to straighten them using a propelling pencil, what you do is empty out the lead, press down the button, slide it over the top of the pin, release the button and then gently draw the pencil upwards to straighten the pin.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry, posted without a refresh.

You may not be the culprit as it is not unknown for the CPU to be damaged before you get it and unless you had done a really good inspection before installation, you would not know.   Well worth doing repairs as it's no good to you, as is.   Providing pin/s have not snapped off, not too many damaged and hopefully just bent from the bottom, chances are good at effecting a repair.   A credit card is a good way of re aligning slightly bent ones. A propelling pencil (fine lead) can be used to straighten more severely bent ones, > http://forums.mydigi...-on-motherboard

When you get the parts back, very important you remove all traces of the old TIM from the CPU and heatsink and apply fresh at reassemble. do a bare bones,(breadboard) build outside the case and test.   Install, CPU, cooler, connect CPU fan, > Boot, note the beeps, )no RAM) then one stick of RAM, > Boot, beep pattern should change.   Install the MB and complete the build.  

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hi folks,

I had a feeling that bent CPU pins weren't the real problem here. Everything went fine when I took off the heatsink-- it removed on its own and then I was able to remove the CPU.  I returned the CPU in the little plastic clamshell that it came in and packed everything up inside the original box. Maybe something happened during shipping? Who knows. At least there are methods I can use to attempt a fix.

When the CPU is returned to me, I'll take a picture of it and then I'll follow both of your instructions to see if it can be saved. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Yes seeing a picture of the CPU would be a help to determine how the pins could have been bent.

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hi folks.

The CPU arrived today. There were two slightly bent pins that I was able to fix easily. No idea how they were bent, but I do have pics that I will upload if need be.

The real reason why I'm checking in in to let you know that the problem isn't solved. :( The reboots are kind of back to they were when I first noticed the problem-- intermittent and during use, not at startup.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Sorry to hear the problem is not solved.   You will need to perform some tests, again.

Is the MB the same revision as you first one?

Did you check the BIOS version? does it need updating?

Are the other MB drivers up to date?

Did you do a clean install of the OS and MB/GPU Drivers after installing the new MB? or just connect the HDD as is?

Please run HWM and post a screenshot.

Please read this guide for Memtest86+ then perform the tests > http://rog.asus.com/...g-motherboards/

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hello,

Just popping in to answer your questions. I'll run HWM and Memtest when I get home tonight.

The motherboard is the same exact model as the first one and the BIOS version is F5, which I believe for this motherboard is up to date.

I didn't do a clean install of Windows, but I did install the most recent motherboard/GPU drivers. I had just finished completing a fresh install of Windows when I decided to RMA the motherboard.

Advertisements

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

I wanted to add that I did just also get a restart while at the "Starting Windows" screen, so it seems like the symptoms are exactly the same...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Alrighty. I'm back and this time with information. I ran Memtest on each stick of RAM separately (both in the first slot) for about 8 hours and ran them also together for 8 hours-- no errors.

Attached is a screenshot of HWMonitor!

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitor.jpg

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Oops, so that screenshot was done with just 1 stick of RAM in. Not sure if it makes a difference, but here's the results with both sticks. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitor2.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Good results for the RAM test, I think we can rule it out as a cause.   Temps are good but voltage reading show worse than on the older MB.

Phone around local computer stores and see if one is able to test your PSU (must be under load), some will do it free or for a nominal sum.

You had no luck finding one to borrow?