Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my Gateway FX

upgrade processor case motherboard ssd fans cpu 3.0 usb

• Please log in to reply

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Now that the selection of parts has been completed we move into the actual building of the computer. Do you have any sites or resources you would recommend to help me through the installation of these parts?

Edit: How does the motherboard work? Is there anything stored on it besides the OS that I will lose when I switch over? If so is there a way to transfer important things from one motherboard to another?

Edit. Great news! I don't have to buy a new operating system! My dad had an extra license of windows 7 home premium lying around!

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 24 June 2014 - 06:52 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Error

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

This tutorial will see your right+ always referring to your manuals for instructions specific to your hardware.> http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

How does the motherboard work? Is there anything stored on it besides the OS that I will lose when I switch over? If so is there a way to transfer important things from one motherboard to another?

A.   The MB stores no OS or user Data at all, that is stored on the HDD.  You can transfer your Data, (no programs or OS) to an external HDD, to a computer on your network, to a USB stick or DVD.

With the good news about the OS  :rockon:  you could get/install a new HDD and when the system is set up, install the old HDD, transfer your personal stuff, then use it for storage.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

This tutorial will see your right+ always referring to your manuals for instructions specific to your hardware.> http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

How does the motherboard work? Is there anything stored on it besides the OS that I will lose when I switch over? If so is there a way to transfer important things from one motherboard to another?

A.   The MB stores no OS or user Data at all, that is stored on the HDD.  You can transfer your Data, (no programs or OS) to an external HDD, to a computer on your network, to a USB stick or DVD.

With the good news about the OS  :rockon:  you could get/install a new HDD and when the system is set up, install the old HDD, transfer your personal stuff, then use it for storage.

So I'm guessing I need to do stuff like deactivate steam and iTunes before disassembling this rig. Also am i going to need to go through and find all the activation codes for my programs such as Adobe After Effects and Sony Vegas or will it re-install normally once the new motherboard is in?

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 25 June 2014 - 07:35 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I con't see why you should have to deactivate programs on the old rig or activate on the new one as you are still using the same accounts and IP address, just from a different physical location,  You will definatly need the OS code and would be wise to have any ethers to hand, just in case.   

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

I con't see why you should have to deactivate programs on the old rig or activate on the new one as you are still using the same accounts and IP address, just from a different physical location,  You will definatly need the OS code and would be wise to have any ethers to hand, just in case.   

Thanks for all your help! I'm going to leave this topic open till I complete my project in 2 or 3 weeks, but will conclude it after that point. For all your help I have an extra copy of Castle Crashers if you want it.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Actually I have another quick question. I've got a pretty hefty fan built in over my CPU, will the new one you suggested come with a fan over it or can I possible recycle the one I have now?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Day.

Thank you for your kind Offer but I would not make use of it as I only occasionally play First-person shooter games.

Your new CPU comes with a very good cooler and you should be aware of the following.

Where a boxed retail CPU is supplied with a cooling solutions, from both Intel and AMD, if an after market heatsink/cooler is installed, you will void the 3 year warranty.   Any subsequent damage is not covered and you will not have a valid claim under the warranty.

I advise you to install the supplied cooler and if you really are not happy with the performance, consider changing it.   There are so many type/models of coolers, you would need to look at the compatibility for the new CPU.

Tips.

Disassembly.   disconnect all wiring, > uninstall the video card and RAM, > unscrew the MB and remove it.   Leave the CPU and cooler installed, useful if you need an emergency board, or to sell.

Is this still your build? > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g4x3mG

Will you be buying a new HDD for the OS/programs or reusing your existing one?

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Day.
Thank you for your kind Offer but I would not make use of it as I only occasionally play First-person shooter games.
Your new CPU comes with a very good cooler and you should be aware of the following.
Where a boxed retail CPU is supplied with a cooling solutions, from both Intel and AMD, if an after market heatsink/cooler is installed, you will void the 3 year warranty.   Any subsequent damage is not covered and you will not have a valid claim under the warranty.

I advise you to install the supplied cooler and if you really are not happy with the performance, consider changing it.   There are so many type/models of coolers, you would need to look at the compatibility for the new CPU.

Tips.
Disassembly.   disconnect all wiring, > uninstall the video card and RAM, > unscrew the MB and remove it.   Leave the CPU and cooler installed, useful if you need an emergency board, or to sell.

Is this still your build? > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g4x3mG
Will you be buying a new HDD for the OS/programs or reusing your existing one?

Castle Crashers isn't an FPS, it is a 2D side-scroller by Behemoth. The fan I have now is a Cool Master (picture attached), is the one that comes with the Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor comparable in size.

Attached Thumbnails

• fan.jpg

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 28 June 2014 - 04:48 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I will need the Model number of the Cooler Master to see if it is compatible with the new CPU. 

Advertisements

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

I will need the Model number of the Cooler Master to see if it is compatible with the new CPU. 

So it turns out the Model Number is in an incredible inconvenient place. While I try to find a way to read it could you point me in the direction of the cooling system the new CPU will have?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

This is the best I could do for an image for the heatsink and cooling fan.   I was unable to find any direct comparison for the stock cooler vs a after-market one, think so new, they have not been done yet. 

http://www.chillblas...ock-Cooler.html

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Well as you can see My current CPU fan is pretty big, the stock fan seems like a big leap backwards.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The size of a fan does not always relate to how efficient it is. consider that you get a 3 year warranty with the stock fan fitted.   Providing you stay within the spec, including Turbo Mode, and you have good case airflow, the fan will do it's job,   It will be noisy at top spped.   My advice is still to use the stock fan first before using an aftermarket one.   If you want to use your Cooler Mast, make sure it is compatible with the socket and is capable of cooling the CPU when using Turbo Mode.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

The size of a fan does not always relate to how efficient it is. consider that you get a 3 year warranty with the stock fan fitted.   Providing you stay within the spec, including Turbo Mode, and you have good case airflow, the fan will do it's job,   It will be noisy at top spped.   My advice is still to use the stock fan first before using an aftermarket one.   If you want to use your Cooler Mast, make sure it is compatible with the socket and is capable of cooling the CPU when using Turbo Mode.

I asked around on New Egg for specific fans for this processor and the cooler master evo 212 was recommended for me if the stock one doesn't work out.