Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my Gateway FX

upgrade processor case motherboard ssd fans cpu 3.0 usb

• Please log in to reply

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I will check out those links as soon as I get home, in the mean time I want to double check something. To reiterate I shouldn't worry that fstream told me I hit cpu temperatures of 208F sixty seconds into starting far cry 3 on ultra settings?

Advertisements

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
A

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 05 August 2014 - 08:37 AM.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

I talked to a friend's dad who works at Acxiom and an acquaintance who works at Luyet computer repair. These are the things I learned. One, having your CPU hit 208F is bad. Two, the i7 4790k runs pretty hot. Three, the stock intel fan is crap and is most likely incapable of keeping the CPU cool during intensive processes such as running games on ultra. Four, the Enermax Liqmax 120S Aluminum All-in-One Liquid Cooler With 120mm High Static Pressure Fan will improve cooling drastically. Do you have any input on the above?

The temperatures from the two programs you suggested I use are posted below. The computer had been running far cry 3 on ultra for 30 seconds at the time of the readings.

Attached Thumbnails

• last temp 1.png
  • last temp 2.png

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 05 August 2014 - 05:02 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Really sorry, totally missed the High Far cry reading.   

I would do a clean of the CPU and heatsink  and reapply TIM, then test. if temps are still to high, then look at an after-market cooler.

The stock cooler with the CPU at stock setting, should be capable of keeping the temps below 80C under full load

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Really sorry, totally missed the High Far cry reading.   
I would do a clean of the CPU and heatsink  and reapply TIM, then test. if temps are still to high, then look at an after-market cooler.
The stock cooler with the CPU at stock setting, should be capable of keeping the temps below 80C under full load

Don't worry, it's all good. I have no doubt that the heat issue is due to me applying the TIM incorrectly and that it would be resolved by reapplying. That being said I've decided that water cooling will give me the best results on temperature and if I have Luyet Computing install it I can guarantee that it is done correctly and with no hastle on my end. I will keep you posted until this last step is completed.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Getting Luyet to do the cooler install sounds good, I would think they would do a test and let you know the results.

Also any suggestion for migrating my programs over? I have all three hard drives installed internally in my case, this includes the new SSD and HDD as well as my old HDD from my last computer.

Transferring an already installed program from one hard drive to another HDD seldom work well.   If you have programs like Office/Vegas  on a disc, do a fresh install, then update it from the internet.  

If you have anything on  the 1TB ST1000dm003 HDD, For your Documents/Music/Video files, or any other Data you want to save. first, for safety, backup to a USB stick, then, copy to the appropriate folders on the SSD.   Test to make sure everything is OK. You can then do a quick format, and use the drive for storage.

Then do the same for the old 1TB seagate WD10EARSb, it can be used for a cache, scratch disc or FRAPS write disc, depending on software.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Apologies for not being around to chime in  :(

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Getting Luyet to do the cooler install sounds good, I would think they would do a test and let you know the results.

Also any suggestion for migrating my programs over? I have all three hard drives installed internally in my case, this includes the new SSD and HDD as well as my old HDD from my last computer.

Transferring an already installed program from one hard drive to another HDD seldom work well.   If you have programs like Office/Vegas  on a disc, do a fresh install, then update it from the internet.  

If you have anything on  the 1TB ST1000dm003 HDD, For your Documents/Music/Video files, or any other Data you want to save. first, for safety, backup to a USB stick, then, copy to the appropriate folders on the SSD.   Test to make sure everything is OK. You can then do a quick format, and use the drive for storage.

Then do the same for the old 1TB seagate WD10EARSb, it can be used for a cache, scratch disc or FRAPS write disc, depending on software.  

No worries on that. Found all my old disks and codes a couple days back and did fresh install. All I moved over from programs was my steam folder, and I read up on how to do it safely. Other than that I just copied over my old user folder to my new user folder. No real problems to speak of.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Apologies for not being around to chime in  :(

No problem, don't worry about it.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That/s good news.   I would like to see your disc setup. 

In the Run Box, copy and paste the bolded text, diskmgmt.msc  > click OK. > Go full screen, > Please post a screenshot. 

Advertisements

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Ok, here is the diskmgmt screenshot. 

I want to move my windows backup to a different device to make room. Which of these files need to be moved to keep the back up functional? Also will it even work that way or do I have to go about moving the back up differently?

Attached Thumbnails

• disk mgmt.png
  • back up files.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

In case you do not know about Libraries.   They are not an actual place, they are a collection of shortcuts.  So clicking Documents under the Libraries tab will list Docs, most will be in the Docs Folder, but you may see a Doc in, Adobe, Licence Agreement. 

Before moving/deleting anything, I want to make sure the SSD has a complete working system.

With the PSU switched off, disconnect all internal SATA cables, except to the SSD. Disconnect all external HDDs.  > Power on the computer, any problems?

Your backups are on the GoFlex (G)?   is that still a external drive?  It also shows as almost full, only 3% free space, it will need to be cleaned up.  It may also need a software update, > http://www.microsoft...sid=Windows 8.1

Gateway (F)  Your old operating system.  is this the drive you want to backup from?

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

SSD working fine. 

The backups are on the GoFlex (G) which is still an external. It is full mainly because of the windows back up. Windows made me make a ton of free space available before it let me back up. That is the main reason I want to move the windows back up. 

Gateway (F) is my old operating system. It would be where I would back up from, but will probably format the drive eventually.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That is a huge amount of backups on the Goflex, are there backups of the Gateway drive on it?  are you sure you need them all? are there a lot of duplicates?

What Data in on the My Passport?

What Data is on the Barracuda?

You don't have enough space anywhere without wiping a drive first...If you store backups on the PC, you defeat the usefulness of a multi drive system. 

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

That is a huge amount of backups on the Goflex, are there backups of the Gateway drive on it?  are you sure you need them all? are there a lot of duplicates?

What Data in on the My Passport?

What Data is on the Barracuda?

You don't have enough space anywhere without wiping a drive first...If you store backups on the PC, you defeat the usefulness of a multi drive system. 

the Goflex has a complete backup of my original Gateway (F) drive, that is why so much space is used. My passport has video production related files such as audio clips and after effects plugins. The Barracuda is running programs I didn't want wasting space on my SSD. I have a second external hdd coming through amazon to transfer the Goflex Gateway back up to.