Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to reset Windows XP to factory settings

windows xp factory settings

• Please log in to reply

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Sorry for all the trouble, but now I'm having another problem. I installed the file you linked, but now I don't really know what to do... Here's what I'm talking about:

attachicon.gifwinrr.JPG

What do I do next?

Oh, there's no installer, it means that you'll have to install the drivers manually. Okay, extract the content of that .zip archive somewhere easily accessible, let's say on the Desktop.
Go back in your Device Manager, and right-click on your Ethernet Controller and select "Update drivers". You'll be presented with two options. Pick the second one, which is "Install from a list or specific location (advanced)". Once done, it will ask you to browse to the folder where the drivers are, so simply browse to the extracted .zip archive and select the folders. Then click on Next and wait for the drivers to install.

So if you extract the .zip archive on the desktop, the drivers will be in that folder :
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Extracted_Drivers_Folders
Is that good? :)

Did the video drivers install ?

Advertisements

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Sorry for all the trouble, but now I'm having another problem. I installed the file you linked, but now I don't really know what to do... Here's what I'm talking about:

attachicon.gifwinrr.JPG

What do I do next?

Oh, there's no installer, it means that you'll have to install the drivers manually. Okay, extract the content of that .zip archive somewhere easily accessible, let's say on the Desktop.
Go back in your Device Manager, and right-click on your Ethernet Controller and select "Update drivers". You'll be presented with two options. Pick the second one, which is "Install from a list or specific location (advanced)". Once done, it will ask you to browse to the folder where the drivers are, so simply browse to the extracted .zip archive and select the folders. Then click on Next and wait for the drivers to install.

So if you extract the .zip archive on the desktop, the drivers will be in that folder :

Yep! Thanks! :)

Now how do I expand the C: parition?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

attachicon.gifwinrr.JPG

What do I do next?

Can you go in your E: partition, take a screenshot of its content and post it here for me please ? I want to see of you're not going to delete anything important.

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

attachicon.gifwinrr.JPG

What do I do next?

Can you go in your E: partition, take a screenshot of its content and post it here for me please ? I want to see of you're not going to delete anything important.

Yeah, no problem! Here it is:

e.JPG

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
.vhd files are for Virtual Hard Disk, it's a virtual representation of an HDD. These are commonly used to create VMs (Virtual Machines). Did you use any of these files and folders in the past ?

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

.vhd files are for Virtual Hard Disk, it's a virtual representation of an HDD. These are commonly used to create VMs (Virtual Machines). Did you use any of these files and folders in the past ?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I've never come across a file or folder like that in the past.

Edited by linings, 15 July 2014 - 04:40 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I've never come across a file or folder like that in the past.

Can you take a screenshot of what's inside the "CD ISOs Files" folder ?

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Here it is:

iso.JPG

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Here it is:

attachicon.gifiso.JPG

How did you end up with that laptop if I may ask ? Was it yours or did you buy it from someone else ?
These are Windows .iso and games .iso, in other words, files that can be used to install Windows XP and games.

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Here it is:

attachicon.gifiso.JPG

How did you end up with that laptop if I may ask ? Was it yours or did you buy it from someone else ?
These are Windows .iso and games .iso, in other words, files that can be used to install Windows XP and games.

It was actually my father's, but then he gave it to me. Can these files help me with a factory restore?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Here it is:

attachicon.gifiso.JPG

It was actually my father's, but then he gave it to me. Can these files help me with a factory restore?

Yes, you could actually create a Windows XP SP2 Installation CD with the Windows XP SP2 .iso and use it to reinstall Windows XP.

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Here it is:

attachicon.gifiso.JPG

Oh, that's great! But I have service pack 3 on my laptop now, so if I reinstalled XP with service pack 2, would I be able to get service pack 3 somehow?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Here it is:

attachicon.gifiso.JPG

Oh, that's great! But I have service pack 3 on my laptop now, so if I reinstalled XP with service pack 2, would I be able to get service pack 3 somehow?

Yes. The SP3 can be downloaded and install normally, there's even an .iso for it on Microsoft's website to burn to a CD and use it to install the SP3. However, this would be a REINSTALLATION, which means that we would format your whole HDD, create one single NTFS partition on it and install Windows XP on it too.

linings

linings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Here it is:

attachicon.gifiso.JPG

Yes. The SP3 can be downloaded and install normally, there's even an .iso for it on Microsoft's website to burn to a CD and use it to install the SP3. However, this would be a REINSTALLATION, which means that we would format your whole HDD, create one single NTFS partition on it and install Windows XP on it too.

Oh, I see. If it's not to much trouble, I'd like to do that. You see, I have a program that I use frequently, and it requires a minimum of Windows XP SP3, so I would really appreciate it if you could guide me through that process. :)

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Yeah sure no problem :)
First of all, do you have a blank CD you can use to burn the Windows XP .iso on ?