Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 64bit Advanced boot menu loop Please help.

boot menu loop windows 7 solutions malware? hardware?

• Please log in to reply

BWumboC

BWumboC

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hello Geeks to go community. About a week and a half ago, I tried to turn my computer on when the screen flashed at the Windows Logo. Right after a blue screen appeared for a second, and then my computer restarted. It brought me to the advanced boot menu [Boot in: Safe mode, Safe mode with networking, last known configuration that worked, start normally, etc.]

I am hoping it is not a hardware problem, and I am trying to prevent a clean install of Windows 7. I have tried all the options listed with the same result. If anyone has experienced this before and has a solution I would greatly appreciate it.

My Specs for the computer:

- Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz Socket LGA 1155 Processor

- ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

- Western Digital WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

- SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB SSD

- 600 Watt Corsair CX 600M power supply

- G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

:welcome:   BWumboC

Had any hardware or software changes been made just before the issue first happened.

Going offline shortly but can you check for any crash dumps for us, someone else may drop in while Im away so it will hopefully move things along for you.

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.

3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

:welcome:   BWumboC

Had any hardware or software changes been made just before the issue first happened.

Going offline shortly but can you check for any crash dumps for us, someone else may drop in while Im away so it will hopefully move things along for you.

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.

3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

Thank you for the swift reply, I currently do not have the ability to get to my computer's desktop because it keeps redirecting me to the Advanced boot menu. I am not aware of any hardware of software changes to my computer prior to the issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Apologies for the delay.

In case this is a HDD issue can I ask if there is any important data on the drive that you would like to try and back up first.

Do you have a Windows 7 disk in case one is needed to repair the present Windows 7 installation.

We can help you with the above once you let us know if it is required or not.

You are welcome btw  :)

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Not a problem I have been pretty busy myself. I think I will try to back up my HDD and SSD tomorrow.
The SSD is where I have the OS loaded on so I suspect that it is the culprit.

I do have a windows 7 CD

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Update acknowledged and thanks  :thumbsup:

Was the OS a fresh install to the SSD.

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

You're welcome!

It was a Fresh install, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate edition I believe. I keep games and other files on the HDD

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Update acknowledged and thanks  :thumbsup:

Was the OS a fresh install to the SSD.

So is there anything that can be done to diagnose if it is a hardware or software problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

My apologies BWumboC I seem to have overlooked your last reply  :blush:

Run chkdsk and System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console

• Boot your Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be looking at X:\Sources directory
  • Run chkdsk or SFC
    • If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
    • For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C:).
    • For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)

Let either run to completion undisturbed and please note that if SFC reports any errors that you may need to run it 3 or 4 times before all errors are corrected.

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

It's quite alright, I'm just anxious to resolve this issue.

When I inserted the windows 7 installation dvd, and got to the "System recovery options" My OS is not listed. Yet I can still go to the next screen and use the command prompt.

Last night I ran the "chkdskc:/r" command and after it ran I tried the "sfc/scannow/offbootdir=c:\/offwindir=c:\windows" command but i didn't see anything pop up except the help screen that shows what each individual command does (/Scannow scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files.... etc.)

am I typing the command incorrectly? or is it because it does not recognize my OS?

Advertisements

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

*update* I just noticed there were spaces between the forward slashes.

The scan is running right now will let you know the result.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

:thumbsup:

Keep in mind that if SFC reports any errors that you may need to run it 3 or 4 times before all errors are corrected.

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

the sfc scan showed that the " Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

and I ran the chkdsk C:/r command again and it said that there were "0 KB in bad sectors"

however at the bottom of the results it said "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with the status 50."

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Can you check the boot sequence in the BIOS and let us know what is showing please.

Can you also tell us the brand of your SSD so we can look for any diagnostic tools.

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Boot option #1: CDDVDDW (my optic drive)

Boot option #2: SanDisk SDSSDH2128G (SSD)

I have a Sandisk Ultra Plus Solid State Drive