Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 64bit Advanced boot menu loop Please help.

boot menu loop windows 7 solutions malware? hardware?

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

The SSD is at least recognised by the BIOS which means that you should be able to run the Sandisk Toolkit to analyse the drive, you can download this to a USB thumbdrive from here

Can I just ask that you confirm whether or not the computer is still not booting in any mode and what type of Windows 7 disk it is that you have as in full retail, OEM, downloaded ISO or a copy that you burned yourself.

Advertisements

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I downloaded the file and uploaded it to my thumbdrive.

I tried all options at the advanced boot menu screen and although it doesn't Blue screen crash and restart any more, it gets stuck on a black screen and the mouse arrow.

I downloaded an ISO online and burned it to a CD

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Update acknowledged  :thumbsup:

Can you run the SSD diagnostic software and see how that works out.

Do you get the black screen and arrow in Safe Mode with Networking.

From where was the ISO downloaded, there are good sources and some not so good so you have to be careful.

We will come back to the OS when the SSD has been tested.

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I tried to boot from my usb but it kept bringing me to the advanced boot menu, Am I doing something wrong?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Set the boot sequence so that the USB device is first, SSD second and optical drive first and see if that works, I have a Sandisk SSD but fortunately for me have not needed to use the Toolkit, meanwhile I will see what I can find online.

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I set the USB as my first boot option, SSD as second and Optical drive as my third. But it still brings me to the boot menu. There is an option for UEFI: SanDisk and USB: Sandisk. I've been using the second one.

I was only supposed to install the .exe file to the thumb drive?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Try the UEFI option please.

The "how to use" information for the Sandisk Toolkit is almost none existent and it is entirely possible that it will only work if Windows is running, not helpful if this is the case  :(

From where was the ISO downloaded, there are good sources and some not so good so you have to be careful.

Can you answer this please.

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

The UEFI Sandisk did not work either. I looked at the associated files that were downloaded with the SSD tool and it looks like it's a program that can only be accessed if windows is working.

My friend gave me the CD when I built my computer last year. I don't know where he downloaded it from but I'm assuming it is a torrented .ISO. I have a cracked version of windows 7 but it has not given me any issues for over a year.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Did your friend also provide you with the unique 25 digit MS product key.

Having a cracked version of Windows would go some way to explaining why you are having trouble with repairing the OS, illegal software has had important files removed and this would trip SFC up when it was being run.

If the disk is illegal then we cannot continue until you have a legitimate disk/ISO/USB thumbdrive download and appropriate product key, we can help you obtain a legitimate OS by way of download, you only need to have the required key.

From the GTG Terms of Use;

p. The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Ok, I will need help attaining a legitimate windows 7 Ultimate OS and I will have to find a way to purchase a product key after.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Courtesy of admin Windows 7 ISO information here like admin  I would also suggest using the Microsoft download tool as I have never had a problem when using it in the past.

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I downloaded the ISO 64 bit, however my laptop that I am doing the bulk of downloading/uploading is a 32 bit. I read in troubleshooting that I need to download something extra for bootsect.exe and that I would have to download a 32bit ISO. Would that affect anything?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Apologies for my absence, unfortunately work has kept me away from the forums  xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0.png

The ISO that you download needs to be appropriate for your desktop and not your notebook, you will not be installing the ISO to the notebook so the fact that one is 32 and the other 64-bit does not matter.

BWumboC

BWumboC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

It's okay I've been really busy myself, thanks for taking time out to help.

My issue is I am trying to make my flash drive bootable with the windows 7 .iso but I think it won't let me do it because I am trying to make a bootable usb from a 32 bit computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the ISO  :(

You can get the ISO and follow the guide here if it helps,  it may also be worth you trying Rufus (available at the link) instead of the MS tool.

As I said you will not be installing the ISO to the notebook so the fact that one is 32 and the other 64-bit does not matter, one thing that would cause a problem is if Windows was checking your notebook for compatibility like it would if you were trying to upgrade the OS on the notebook.