Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows corrupt file error

windows error xp please help

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Phillpower2 is away for a couple of days, so will see if I can help.

Click Start, > click Run, in the box that opens, copy and paste this bolded text, devmgmt.msc > click OK.

The Device window will open, > Click to go full screen, > take a screenshot and include in your next reply. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Thank you iammykyl  :thumbsup:

killerz180,

You are in the best of hands with iammykyl and all that I can add is to see if there is a small circular opening on the front of the drive, if yes, use something such as a straightened out paper clip to gently insert into the opening to see if the drive tray will open manually, the mechanism can sometimes become sticky due to lack of use or jammed if a disk in the tray is not sitting correctly.

The Speccy url will also be helpful btw  ;)

killerz180

killerz180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Heres the printscreen for the the device thing, 

untitled.jpg

ill get the speccy thing just gimme 1 mom

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If the trick with the paper clip[ did not work.

Go back into device manager, right click on the DVD drive, > click uninstall, then

> right click on the Floppy disc controller,> click uninstall,

Restart the computer, then go back into device manage, take a screenshot, please incluide in your next reply. 

killerz180

killerz180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

hmm Would i be able to get it back if i uninstall, because i don't want to be loosing the Cd drive

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

If the drive is bad no, if it is good yes.

Did you try using a paper clip to open the drive!

killerz180

killerz180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hey, yes i used it i pushed it alittle hard to see if anything hapens but just nothing it wont go any further in. I uninstalled the floppy and cd/dvd drive, When i restarted it reinstalled them. The drive won't open i can hear a clucking/clicking sound but :S

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Not good, with the drivers reinstalled, still getting the noises and the paper clip not working, looks like the drive is broken.    Try once more.

Restart the computer and enter the BIOS, > change the Boot order to Hard drive first, DVD second, Floppy third, > go to exit menu, > save settings and exit.

When the computer restarts, the DVD should not be making any noises.???

Press the eject button, if it does not open, try the paper clip again.