Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System hangs at shutdown...

shutdown problems win 8.1 and classic shell

• Please log in to reply

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Let me know when you have completed steps 1, 2, and 3. :) We will move onto the next set of steps. :)

Advertisements

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Customer Experience Improvement was OFF. 

I still have Malwarebytes on this system.  Do you want me to wack that program as well?

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

It looks like minitoolbox doesn't wanna shut off.  And I tried to do another scan but nothing happened.  Om just gonna shut the computer down for the night.  And if that program is causing problems, om gonna uninstall it.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I tried to uninstall minitoolbox but I can't.  It's not on the list in the control panel.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Minitoolbox is a portable program, to delete it just drag it to the recycle bin. Otherwise right click it and select delete. Also no do not uninstall malwarebytes uninstall one of your antivirus that you have installed.

Uninstall Avast Or Avira. Then uninstall Spybot.

Let me know when you have done this. :)

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

This site is saying that mini tool box is a virus!

http://www.tweakmysy...oolbox.exe.html

This makes me very nervous.  Because I could not close the program without restarting the computer... and I cannot uninstall the program either.  I'd like to get rid of it!  I can't use safe mode because of my poor eyesight.  The magnifier goes KOO-KOO! 

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Minitoolbox is not a virus, right click on the program and select delete.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I got scared when I read all that stuff. 

On the good side, something very strange happened when I shut down last night.  The computer shut down properly.  No hangs... but what really turned my head was the speed of the shutdown!  Much faster than ever before on this system!  And the boot-up?  Also totally at the speed of light!  So that puts YOU ahead of the Puget Systems computer company!  They're still the best company I've ever dealt with but they still delivered a computer to me that had that yucky shutdown issue.  And a "Frankensteinian" OS that had no documentation!  I could never find out how to do stuff on that OS!  Half Win 8 and half Win 7.  :(  I was stoopid, choosing that arrangement but I think they made a bigger mistake in offering it. 

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called [b]checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.99  
   x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Windows Defender     
360 Total Security   
 WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Java 8 Update 40  
 Adobe Flash Player     17.0.0.134  
 Adobe Reader XI  
 Mozilla Firefox 34.0.5 Firefox out of Date!  
 Mozilla Thunderbird (31.1.2)
 Google Chrome (41.0.2272.101)
 Google Chrome (41.0.2272.89)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  %
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Advertisements

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I tend not to do updates for Firefox because for an incredibly long time, CARET BROWSING did not work in Firefox.  Without it, I have a very hard time dealing with text.  I updated one day, years ago, and suddenly the caret browsing feature no longer worked, so I downloaded an older version of the browser for a while.  I was really glad when they finally fixed that feature in Firefox... but who knows when it stops working again after an update... and who knows whether I'll even be able to do anything about it like I did in the before-time.  :)

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

First thing we will do is download and install Unchecky. This software will prevent unwanted items, being installed by you unknowingly.

Now lets get to the business. Go ahead and install Ccleaner. Now that you have the program installed go ahead and run the cleaner function.
kwLN4uv.png

Now that you have cleaned out some temp files, lets go ahead and disable all of the items starting up with your machine except your antivirus. To do this you will need to click on tools then start up select each item then disable.

GjWwvEu.png

Now that you have disabled those un-needed start ups lets go into the settings, we will have Ccleaner run when your machine boots, so that you will never have to worry about cleaning temp files again.

To do this:

• Hit options.
  • Settings.
  • Place a tick to run Ccleaner when the computer starts.

Lxioao1.png

Now go to the advanced tab, and select close program after cleaning, now run the cleaner again this will close Ccleaner.

SnqZ2JW.png

Install and run Wipe By Privacy Root  https://privacyroot....www/en/wipe.php

Also Run Bleachbit  http://bleachbit.sou...t-1.6-setup.exe

Tell me how things are now with your computer. :)

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Something I should mention.  I save most of my files on the 'D' drive.  Because the 'C' drive is an SSD.  It's much smaller than my other two regular spinning drives, and I wanna save space on the SSD for my train simulator and flight simulator.  Train Simulator 2015 is very demanding... even more than a racing game.  And X-Plane 10 is also demanding because of its ridiculously detailed scenery.  I thought maybe the SSD would make a difference when scenery "boots up" while the train / plane moves around in the program's world.  Even though the difference may be very small, I still want it.

But I noticed that when I tried to enter "My Documents" on the 'C' drive, I got an "ACCESS DENIED" message!  Why would that happen?   

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Running these programs will cleanup space. :)

Also Do you get access denied each time you try and access the folder?

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I think I did everything you said... and I thought I posted to that effect.  But I don't see anything here!  

I can't believe I didn't post about what's going on with this computer!  Suddenly it's shutting down VERY QUICKLY!  Faster than ever before!  And booting up is also at the speed of light!  And the train simulator, (more demanding than fast racing games), suddenly runs almost perfectly smooth!  I don't think I can see a single stutter!  I purposely ran the train, (the Acela Express), at 150 mph and there was no problem!  ....Until the train crashed!  :)  (I couldn't slow down for a sharp curve!)  But that's really great!!!!  :)  No one who has ever helped me out with my system has ever produced this result!  :)  

I can't say if the shutdown problem is fixed but the computer is running extra fast now.  No one or nothing has ever made a difference like this!  In my book, you are "The IT Man!"  When my computer was a week old, it didn't run like this!  

I thank you, and The Wisenheimer, (name of the computer), thanks you.  :)  

I'd like to learn what you know!  But I doubt I could grasp it all before the next ice age.  Om gonna try though!  I mean, that virus program you recommended?  I guess it allows the system to run free, without being held back by complicated software that actually does very little to help things. 

Do you still want another scan with MiniToolBox?  (By the way, I got spooked when I read some bad things about that program, probably because at the same time, the program would not respond.  Wouldn't scan... and I couldn't find it on my system anywhere.  I didn't know how to uninstall it... and then I read that stuff and freaked!)  Since then, I did find the location of the program... and was able to uninstall it and reinstall it.

So om ready for the next step if there is one.