Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SFC Corrupt Ownership Permission Issues [Closed]

permissions corrupt slow running computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tink0303

tink0303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Yes, it opened.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

OK the only realistic option at the moment is to restore to factory settings. Now when you do that it will effectively wipe the drive and re-install windows afresh

You can use windows to back up all the data you wish to a USB stick using the easy transfer wizard http://www.7tutorial...r-data-transfer

Then once you are happy that you have all you needed backed up (you only need documents, pictures, e-mail and music not windows settings)
We will go through restoring the computer back to a proper functioning state
All programmes will need to be re-installed so ensure that you have the related licence data backed up

Any questions at this stage about what we are going to do... ?

tink0303

tink0303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

So, what was it about the last step I did that told you it can't be fixed without restoring it back to factory settings? I don't have a Windows CD. How am I going to reinstall Windows 7?

Edited by tink0303, 23 March 2015 - 03:46 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

The last step actually showed me that you have what is called a recovery partition. Within this partition is the full windows programme as it was the day that you bought the system.
This replaces the windows discs that they used to provide

A recovery partition is a portion of your disk drive that is set aside by the manufacturer to hold an image of your system as it was shipped from the factory

tink0303

tink0303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Ok. You said I should back up all my pictures, documents, music, and email that are not Windows settings. How do I change the settings so that it's not windows settings? I will probably use a flash drive. Also, my email is through Hotmail, and since that's a different site, would I really need to back that up?

tink0303

tink0303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I have to go to work, so I'll check this in the morning. Thanks for helping.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
With regards to Hotmail just ensure that you have the password and e-mail address saved, as all e-mails are held online

With easy transfer only select the following once you get to this dialogue :

[attachment=76175:Capture.JPG]

Documents
Music
Pictures
Videos

The rest may carry over the problems that you are experiencing

tink0303

tink0303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Ok. I looked at it and am going to have to buy more flash drives. It says I need 47 GB. My flash drive is only 16 GB.

tink0303

tink0303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I went out and got a Passport that has plenty of storage. I'm going to do this in the morning. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem I am ready when you are

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.