Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fixing a friends computer BSOD 0x00000101

• Please log in to reply

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

ESET is paid and was installed on 23.09.2015
I do not think that ESET is the problem, but I may try not loading that on boot?

Soon to be added: DriverMax updates
I'm having a hard time installing DriverMax, disabled eset for that time
and during setup there was a runtime error at 125:1492
Access violation at address 00466E3F, read from 00000238

I will post soon again, because the computer might crash while writing this.

Another update: the computer forced a chkdsk on boot, lot of indexes were deleted and orphaned files were recovered.
On desktop, system popup said that GWX.exe was corrupted.

16:00 : DriverMax server is being upgraded, unable to check for updates at the moment, will keep trying.

Edited by rei158, 13 November 2015 - 08:01 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,785 posts

Do you happen to know if the computer was running ok before ESET was installed.

DriverMax information acknowledged  :thumbsup:

GWX.exe is the Windows 10 upgrade notification and not likely to cause such instability, you can however see if Windows has any issues by following my canned text below;

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Wont be around for a few hours now due to other commitments but will check back later if possible.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Hey, I had some duties as well to take care of, but now I can talk about what I've done:

1) DriverMax server is up and running: included 3 pictures of drivers, which are outdated - that's pretty much :o

2) When doing the first steps of Tweaking, after doing some pre-scans and a chkdsk, I was unable to boot the system in any Safe modes for a while, but it was able to boot up normally
when I let it just start after pushing the power button. I did a System Restore and it fixed it.

3) After running the Tweaking, the first boot was successful. No BSODs or crashes so far as I am writing this text.

Are there any log files that Tweaking created because if it did fix the problem at hand, it would be good to know the cause.

Will be updating if anything happens and will be looking forward to your answer.

UPDATE: It didn't work, the freezes still occur.

Attached Thumbnails

• drivers1.jpg
  • drivers2.jpg
  • drivers3.jpg

Edited by rei158, 14 November 2015 - 06:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,785 posts
Do you happen to know if the computer was running ok before ESET was installed.

Can you answer this question for us please.

The first two drivers to update should be 1: SMBus Controller, last entry on the first screencap. 2: Express Chipset, second on the list of the second screen cap.

For any repair logs check for C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs\ 

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
No, it was not.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,785 posts

Have you updated the two drivers and checked for any Tweaking result logs.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Both updated, no changes.

Logs are in the zip.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,785 posts

Are you ok with working inside of a computer, if yes, I would recommend removing the MBs CMOS battery in case of a bad setting that restoring the defaults did not correct.

As far as driver updates go I would update the two Intel entries from your third screen cap, second and third at bottom of the page.

Nothing relating to the crashes in the logs.

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem, courtesy of Ztruker;

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.) make a note of what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services until you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.  

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I will start doing as you asked, but I've got no idea how that battery lokl oks like. If I could get a guide, then I may be able to do that :).

Edit: Just disabled all startup programs, still froze. There is only eset in the services which can not be disabled unless it's uninstalled
Edit 2: sorry, no need for guide, just replugged the battery and will reboot.
Edit 3: nope, the battery reset didn't work.

Edit 4: will try uninstallng eset now.

Edited by rei158, 15 November 2015 - 04:56 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,785 posts

An example guide here to help with removing the CMOS battery, I have also included my canned text attachment below;

If only to rule it out I would make a note of the ESET licence key number and then uninstall it and test.

Advertisements

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Uninstalled eset, still froze on desktop.
Will go to sleep.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,785 posts

It does look like a hardware issue then I'm afraid  :(

If you have yet to pull the CMOS battery can I ask that while you have  the case open you check to see if the heatsink and cooling fan are firmly in place on top of the CPU and that all power and data cables are securely attached to the MB, the HDD and the optical drive.

If the problem persists after the above has been done we should test the Ram and HDD.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I will get back to you in a few days, won't be able to inspect the computer meanwhile.

And I updated that removing CMOS didn't work in the previous thread =) .

Edited by rei158, 16 November 2015 - 08:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,785 posts

Sorry, only noticed your reply #41.

No rush on our behalf, let us know when you are around again.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Hey, I'm finally back! Also got my laptot fixed, the repairs switched out the MB, they didn't know precisely what was wrong from it.

Back to my friends computer, all connections seem to be fixed and tight, no loose ends.