Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access internet

Win 7

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Use returned my ASUS K53E to the factory settings. But now can't access the internet from the signal at the local cafe. I know the password they use but not sure how to proceed. And no one here speaks English!

Can someone walk me through the set up.

Oh, the cafe's router is working... I'm on it now with my Acer.

Many thanks, guys...

Bry

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Microsoft.com > View and connect to available wireless networks (with) Windows 7

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thanks. Let me have a look.

Bry

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You're welcome.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thanks SpywareDr...

The vid won't play but I read the copy. When I click on the Connect Icon (which is x'd out in red), it says that no connections are available. Diagnostics tells me that a network cable is not properly plugged in.

The computer I'm currently using is working fine.

Any ideas?

Bry

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Using Wifi (wireless) and connecting with an ethernet cable (wired) are two entirely different things. When your computer says something like "no connections available" it could mean your Wifi adapter is not "On", it's defective, or there are no Wifi connections available, When your computer is connected via an ethernet cable to an active connection to the internet, your ethernet adapter should be used to connect instead of your Wifi adapter.

If Wifi is your only option and it is not connecting today but it was working within say the last week, one of the easiest ways to solve the problem is to use Windows System Restore to roll Windows back to a point in time when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

Video: Fixing a problem using System Restore

If that doesn't help, try restoring an earlier system image or backup.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

But I just returned the computer to the original factory settings. There are no restore points to go to.

Brty

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Then "If that doesn't help, try restoring an earlier system image or backup."

No suitable restore point, backup, or image available? Kick yourself -- you missed the easy solution, and you're left with digging through Windows' many settings. :(

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Sorry. That's not very helpful.

Like I said. I just restored the computer to original factory settings. So no restore points. Not sure why it wouldn't install working WIFI. It was there when I originally bought the computer.

Bry 

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

It is not hard at all to connect to an available WiFi network in Windows. With a laptop, you can see a list of available wireless networks, and then connect to one of those networks, no matter where you are. The wireless networks appear only if your computer has a wireless network adapter and driver installed and the adapter is enabled.

Check your laptop's Manual for instructions on how to enable the WiFi and then Windows Device Manager to see if the WiFi adapter is working.

If everything looks fine, to view and connect to available wireless networks, click the network icon in the notification area. The list of available wireless networks will pop up. Click any network, and then click Connect.

Note that some networks require a network security key or passphrase. To connect to one of those networks, you would need to ask the person responsible for that network connection for their security key or passphrase.

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thank you. I'm working...

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

If you mean your ASUS K53E is now connected to WiFi, Congrats! And thanks for letting us know.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Sorry, no. I mean I'M working! :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Oh, okay. Me too. ;)

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Hey...

Repeated the re-formatting; Restored the computer to original settings. Still no internet wireless connection. When I click the icon it tells me no connections are available which, of course, isn't true because I'm writing you!

Windows Network Diagnostics says Windows does not detect properly installed network adapter, that I need to install the Driver.

How can I do that if I can not access the internet?

Thanks...

Bry