Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what Is it virus or malware and what to do?

virus malware

• Please log in to reply

Alexfrey

Alexfrey

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I am using windows 8.1 64-bit, i5, HP-pavilion laptop.

So, I have no idea how or when it started but i noticed that occasionally my single click leads to multiple instances of that application i.e if i click vlc once multiple instance of vlc are opened same with other software but this happens only some time so I did a malwarebytes scan, Windows MSRT scan but nothing came up, still  I restored my windows(formatted the c drive and reinstalled windows from my recovery partition ) i did not formatted the entire hard drive as i am not currently able to back up all the data (1tb) but after restoring windows there was no problem for like a month or so but the problem started again. 
one more thing when I switch on my laptop and it reaches the password screen it automatically behave as if someone is continuously pressing enter and shows incorrect password this loop continues until I press any other key. what is happening?

Malware bytes and other scans of avast and windows shows nothing.How should I proceed?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Sounds like your keys are sticking.  You can check in Control panel, Keyboard that you haven't changed anything accidentally.  Looks like this on my Win 7:

[attachment=79538:keyboard.jpg]

You can try one of the many keyboard test available and see if they show anything funny:

http://www.passmark....cts/keytest.htm

seems to work OK.  (30 day free trial)  Don't worry if they don't have exactly your keyboard.

Alexfrey

Alexfrey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

my keyboard properties are same as mentioned above.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Expect it's a flaky keyboard.  Can you stick a USB keyboard on it and see if that works better?

Alexfrey

Alexfrey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey i ran your keyboard test it turned out that my numpad enter is automatically getting pressed so i would have to change the motherboard as they both are integrated!

thanks for your time.

EizVC6h.png

Edited by Alexfrey, 13 December 2015 - 02:08 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Thought that might be the case.  

I've never seen a keyboard that was part of the motherboard.  What model number is the Pavilion?

As an alternative to replacing the keyboard it is sometimes possible to remap bad keys.  

https://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/

Alexfrey

Alexfrey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I remapped the key but the same problem while booting, when it reaches the password screen it is behaving as if someone is continuously pressing enter.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Expect the keyboard remap is not taking effect until after you log on.  I would go in to Control Panel, User Accounts and see if you can change it so it doesn't require a password so it bypasses that screen.

What model laptop is it?