Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP desktop - google.com is in Norwegian [Solved]

internet google virus foreign language

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Is it just google?  Do you see this same page every time you bring up google?

I don't speak Norwegian so I don't know what they are asking and the screenshot isn't good enough to read, but it looks like they want you to choose one of the blue buttons at the bottom.  If you don't speak Norwegian you can use https://translate.go...en&op=translate

If you click on the NO button at the top right does it give you an option for other languages?

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Is it just google?  YES.    Do you see this same page every time you bring up google?   Every time I open the browser and bring up google.

Translation attached.

If you click on the NO button at the top right does it give you an option for other languages?  YES. I can select English and it will stay in English as long as the browser session is open. Exit the browser and get back in, and it's back to Norwegian. I've tried signing in to my google account; tried Reject All; tried Accept All. Tried it in Edge - cleared all cookies, turned off Allow sites to save and read cookie data (recommended).

Attached Thumbnails

• google in English.JPG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I would think you would need cookies enabled in order to save the English options.  I would enable cookies in the browser then switch it to English and Accept All then login to your google account and make sure the language options are set for English.  Then I would try the instructions in the reply to this page:

https://support.goog...s-results?hl=en

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

No help there.

Do you think my desktops have a virus?

Edited by wayneman50, 24 July 2023 - 06:46 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Unlikely, this smells like a Google problem, but you can try the free ESET scan.  Takes a few hours but should rule out any viruses.

https://www.eset.com...online-scanner/

Then click on One Time Scan which will download esetonlinescanner.exe then go to the download folder and right click on the file and Run As Admin then follow the instructions.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Success!

Attached Thumbnails

• ESET results.JPG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Didn't think it would find anything but you never know.  I think you need to contact Google Support since it appears they have decided that your IP address is Norwegian.

https://about.google/contact-google/

Click on Get Support and fill out the form.  The  external (public) IP address of your router would be good info to put in your form.  You can just google "what is my ip" or go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/

You want the IPv4 address but it wouldn't hurt to give them the IPv6 one too.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I click on Get Support, and like amazon, all I get is the ability to search on my issue. If I can't find the answer, I post to the "Google Account Help Community". I don't see any options to contact google directly. Do you see anything different?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Try scrolling to the bottom of the page that comes up when you start Google.  Is there a Send Feedback link there?  Try that.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

The problem went away. A couple days ago I did click on a link in google to submit a problem, but I didn't think much of it because it read that it would take google months to respond and all it asked me for was my IP address. It didn't even have a field to describe the problem. Maybe something you had me do and a delayed reaction? At any rate, it's fixed. Can you help with a cleanup of the things you had me do, like should I delete FRST? One question: Should I keep ESET? Is that the best scanner for infections?

Edited by wayneman50, 27 July 2023 - 08:07 AM.

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Hi  RKinner - Are you there?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

ESET is useful for a one-time scan but I don't think you need to keep it around.  You can always download it again if you need it.

Time to clean up:
If we used FRST to clean your PC:

right click on FRST.exe or FRST64.exe (whichever you used) and rename it to uninstall.exe.  Then right click on uninstall.exe and Run as Admin.

You can uninstall any other programs we installed and delete all of the logs.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

How do I uninstall ESET? It's not in Apps & features.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Click on Start (Windows icon in the bottom left) .  ESET Online Scanner should show up in the list of programs (probably at the top under Recently Added but if not scroll down to the E's).  Right click on ESET Online Scanner and Uninstall.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I do that and it brings up Uninstall or change a program. ESET is not in the list of programs.