Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't start

• Please log in to reply

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Choices are (Kernel or small) memory dump

I since tried to update the driver s of my MOTU midi express, and my Presonus Firestudio Project audio device.

With the latter, when I downloaded the driver and tried to reinstall, I got a blue screen.  I have been waiting 2 days for a response from Presonus, like even if the procedure was correct.

Edited by robirdman, 08 April 2016 - 09:51 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Small memory dump.

Any problems since updating the video card drivers.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

That seemed OK.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

All you can do is see how it goes for a couple of days, if no problem and we do not hear back from you we will consider the issue resolved, likewise any problems post back here.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Like I said, bluescreen after trying to update audio Presonus drivers, and unlike this very responsive forum, I'm waiting 2 days for followup. 

Steinberg wants me to reinstall my Cubase music software again, but I should solve the Presonus problem first.

Calling Presonus seems to be a toll call and not answering for 30 minutes, still awaiting email followup.

thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

If you have or you get any crash dumps upload them for us, something else may be identified as causing the crashes, to save you backtracking;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

Nothing worse than unresponsive tech support, it grates me, take your money and then ditch you  :( 

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Several more dmps but new problem, attached.

After clicking OK the colored one disappears

Edited by robirdman, 08 April 2016 - 11:20 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Nothing attached I`m afraid.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Picture of the screen with failed attempt

Attached Thumbnails

• minidump prob.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

We do not use RAR here so please only use the method that I provided to compress, attach and upload the dmps;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

NB: You will need to click on the More Reply Options tab to open the full editor before you can attach and upload the dmps.

Advertisements

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

That worked.

Attached File  040216-49937-01.zip   324.73KB   381 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

With the exception of the dump dated 06/04/16 all of the others point towards Cubase and MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) the dump dated 06/04/16 points towards PaeFireStudio.sys which is Presonus Fire Studio software and at the same time the MOTU drivers failed to load, as MOTU is implicated in both scenarios I suggest that you check this first.

What MOTU product/s do you have

From Speccy;

Audio

Sound Cards
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
PreSonus FireStudio Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Playback Devices
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers (PreSonus FireStudio Audio): (default)

Recording Device
PreSonus FireStudio Audio (PreSonus FireStudio Audio)

Speaker Configuration
Speaker type: Stereo

You should disable/uninstall any audio device that is not used, there is less chance of any conflicts if you do so, be sure to always create a new restore point first.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I spent the rest of the day till late night successfully working on my music without a crash.

I have the Midi Express 128 8x8 unit.  While trying to update the FSP driver I had the bluescreen, it went OK with the MOTU.

But there are occasions where Cubase doesn't recognize the MOTU and I see that all 8 lights are lit.  Then I have to close Cubase and reconnect the MOTU USB before proceeding.  Sometimes it seems that the USB connection is shaky.

Occasionally the FSP flashes red and blue, instead of solid blue and must be turned on and off and on again.

Disable the other audio in device manager?  It may have been originally configured that way before the new drive and Windows installation, by the manufacturers. 

One thing I noticed the other day though was that when I looked at the performance of the 8 cores, they were not very high.  In contrast, before the redo, I would see peaking all the time. It may not have been a very power intensive song.  I'll check again with one with many more tracks.

I know how to restore, but am having trouble finding how to set a restore point.

Edited by robirdman, 10 April 2016 - 08:42 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Sometimes it seems that the USB connection is shaky.

See if any driver updates are suggested for the USB ports, please disconnect all USB devices first and then run DriverMax;

Run DriverMax to see if any driver updates are suggested.

Please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the “install AVG toolbar” option box.

Remember to always create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

If any driver updates are suggested for the chipset download and install them first then the USB hub/ports, always best done in Safe Mode;

To create a restore point
  1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2. In the left pane, click System protection18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

The system restore point was helpful, glad to know that.

But by disconnecting all USB devices, that would include my mouse and keyboard, so I wouldn't be able to proceed.