Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Before a clean install of Win 10...

- - - - - Moving data from C: to D: ...

• Please log in to reply

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

This is the best I can do as far as what I wanted to copy to the D drive...

I can't give you an exact list but here's a general list of the type of data I tried to copy.

*The OS running on this computer now.  I COPIED it.  I didn't try to MOVE anything.

*Personal WordPad text files

*Steam, (provider of games

*Games... Train Simulator, X-Plane Flight Simulator, Trainz Simulator

*Various small applications meant for cleaning out malware etc.

Advertisements

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Okay. Let's restore some order on your machine.
  • Do you have a valid RETAIL key for Windows 7/8/8.1? Retail key means a 25 symbol key which you have bought from an online store and that you have received your key in an email? Keys which came with a new computer or with a preinstalled Operating system are OEM keys (not Retail) and most likely will not work for a clean install.
  • Have you paid for Crashplan or not? Did you take a look at OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox and Crashplan offerings. I recommend that you use such an online backup service. It creates a special folder and syncs every change to the cloud. That means, when you create a new file in that special folder, it will be uploaded to the cloud. When you change a file in that folder, the new version will be uploaded to the cloud. When you delete a file from that folder, it will be deleted from the cloud. But if something happens to your device, files in the cloud won't be deleted and will stay safe. That way you can access your files from every device and in case something happens to your PC, you have them backed up. Your task is to research the different offers from these services and tell me in your next reply if you will use such a service and which one.
  • Have you got a cable for your external hard drive?
  • Uninstall Spybot completely from the Control Panel. We'll take a look at other on demand scanners in the future. Avira, Kaspersky and some other programs are said to be incompatible with it. Avira is a good antivirus program, keep it updated and its real time protection on and scan monthly on demand with it.
  • Your Java version is not up to date. Java is one of the most exploited softwares in the world. Even DoD advises against the use of Java unless needed. If you don't need Java, uninstall it. If you need it, update it and regularly check for updates of Java and keep it updated in the future.
  • Your Windows Updates show as disabled, why is this?
Reply when you have done the above and we will proceed with some other things.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. Let's restore some order on your machine.

• Do you have a valid RETAIL key for Windows 7/8/8.1? Retail key means a 25 symbol key which you have bought from an online store and that you have received your key in an email? Keys which came with a new computer or with a preinstalled Operating system are OEM keys (not Retail) and most likely will not work for a clean install.

I won't need a key.  More than a few tutorials for a clean install said I can just skip that step.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you paid for Crashplan or not?

I haven't paid for anything.  I can't afford to pay for anything.  I have about 30GB of data, and plan to use the external drive for backup.

This fancy-shmancy computer was a gift, and I'm not getting any other help with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you take a look at OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox and Crashplan offerings. I recommend that you use such an online backup service. It creates a special folder and syncs every change to the cloud. That means, when you create a new file in that special folder, it will be uploaded to the cloud. When you change a file in that folder, the new version will be uploaded to the cloud. When you delete a file from that folder, it will be deleted from the cloud. But if something happens to your device, files in the cloud won't be deleted and will stay safe. That way you can access your files from every device and in case something happens to your PC, you have them backed up. Your task is to research the different offers from these services and tell me in your next reply if you will use such a service and which one.

One Drive?  No.

Google Drive?  15GB free.

DropBox?  No.

Crashplan?  I may use it to backup on the external drive if the drive is actually working.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uninstall Spybot completely from the Control Panel. We'll take a look at other on demand scanners in the future. Avira, Kaspersky and some other programs are said to be incompatible with it. Avira is a good antivirus program, keep it updated and its real time protection on and scan monthly on demand with it.

Spybot is uninstalled.

Your Java version is not up to date. Java is one of the most exploited softwares in the world. Even DoD advises against the use of Java unless needed. If you don't need Java, uninstall it. If you need it, update it and regularly check for updates of Java and keep it updated in the future.

I don't know if I need Java, or if I'll need it in the near future.  I guess I'll keep it for now.

I THINK I downloaded the current version of Java now.

I didn't know if I need VLC.  I tried to download it but it didn't work.  Maybe because I unchecked one setting, (enabling them to collect info from my computer).  And actually, I don't think I need this program. 

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

OK maybe you're sensing it... because I'm reaching my limit.  This is another yucky thing I have to live with.  Too much frustration at having to read large blocks of text, trying to dodge unwanted software, and my brain forces me to stop.  I experience a very unpleasant sensation, very much like what many people get when someone scratches their fingernails on a blackboard.  I get it if I just look at something... or if I get frustrated for too long a time.  Yeah... it sucks.  :(

Maybe I should uninstall Java altogether.  Do you think these mistakes I've made are the reason why my system is running slower?

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Windows Updates show as disabled, why is this?

That's temporary.  I'm not sure if it was automatically disabled by NEVER 10, (which is keeping the automatic installation of Win 10 at bey until I'm ready to make the change.

And also, sometimes updates cause problems.  I had to use an older version of Firefox for a long time because an update took away an important accessibility feature.  (Caret browsing.)  It's back now.

Firefox is the only browser with caret browsing as far as I know.  It enables me to read text with the arrow keys.  The magnifier focuses on the caret as I read.

So I was afraid to update things in general.  From time to time I'd get a big surprise when something got changed or stopped working.  My situation is atypical mostly because of my poor vision.

Reply when you have done the above and we will proceed with some other things.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hi Goggleplex :),

First of all i want to excuse for writing such long blocks of text, and i want to assure you that i really want to help you. But writing is the only way i can give you the information you need, and the amount is not little at all.

I know that this is a lot if info, but please read it slowly and sentence by sentence. You have time to do so and not be overwhelmed by the amount of it. Just read it in parts, not everything at once. You can ask me everything anytime you want.

The only way to switch to Windows 10 from a Windows 7/8/8.1 OS is either upgrading to Windows 10 or activating a clean Windows 10 install with a RETAIL key. I am a Windows Insider since the beginning of the program, and for a long time the process of clean installing Windows 10 required to first upgrade the OS and use it for a day or so in order to receive the so called "Digital Entitlement" and only after this clean instaling the OS. Since some time Microsoft also allows activation of new clean installations of Windows 10 with RETAIL keys without the need to first upgrade an older OS. The key word here is "Retail", not "OEM" keys. So to clarify, if you first upgrade Windows 8.1 to Win 10 and then make a clean install, you won't need to enter a key. If you clean install Windows 10 without upgrading prior to the clean install, you'll have to enter a valid Retail key.

Using Crashplan is ok, the choice is only yours. So now please uninstall all of the sync clients that you won't use and leave only the Crashplan client.

If you don't know for what you're using Java, then most likely you're not using it, so uninstall it.

VLC is a media player, if you want to use VLC to watch videos, leave it. If you will use another program or the built in Windows Media Player, uninstall it.

Now, for me the best plan is to upgrade to Windows 10 before the end of the upgrade period (July 29th). What upgrading does it replacing your old Windows files with new versions for Windows 10. It's like a reinstall, but keeps your installed programs and your documents (personal files etc). My advice to you is to uninstall each and every program that you're not going to use from the Control Panel now, and then turn on Windows Update, install all updates and upgrade to Windows 10. The upgrade process can further speed up your PC, i've personally experienced this many times while upgrading through different build before and after the RTM release.

After you have done this, you can of course select to clean install Windows 10, but i don't think it will be easy for you to do this. With a clean install you cannot keep your personal files and will have to first back them up and then restore them. If OneDrive is enabled for your PC (it's build in), then your settings might sync with the Microsoft account you use, but not all of them will be preserved. And you'll certainly won't find it easy to reinstall and configure settings for all these programs.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

The external drive is working.  I reformatted the drive so it'll work with Windows.  I just need to be able to copy files to it without getting that error message.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
What error message?

Now please remove the other backup clients and every program that you're not going to use. Just to check, these 30 GBs of files inculde only personal files you can't afford to lose and do not include files that can be downloaded from the internet or reinstalled, is that correct? My original plans were to use a cloud service or the USB you have to back them, and use the external hard drive to make a system image of your current Operating system just for every case, but that's not actually needed. The upgrade process is usually safe enough and will revert automatically if anything happens.

Nevermind, you can use the hard drive for backup with crashplan, upgrade and use the USB in case you want clean install after this. ;)

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Everything else aside for a moment.  I just finished reformatting the external drive so it'll work for Windows.  The instructions were literal enough for me to be able to follow them.  19 steps.  But it doesn't matter how long the process is... as long as the instructions are "all there." 

And now I have to find out how to put the files from the C: drive on the external drive, (G-Drive). 

Also, this external drive was originally set up for Mac.  I can't find instructions on how to disconnect it from a windows computer.  And there's stuff on it that will not delete! 

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Everything else aside for a moment.  I just finished reformatting the external drive so it'll work for Windows.  The instructions were literal enough for me to be able to follow them.  19 steps.  But it doesn't matter how long the process is... as long as the instructions are "all there." 

And now I have to find out how to put the files from the C: drive on the external drive, (G-Drive). 

Also, this external drive was originally set up for Mac.  I can't find instructions on how to disconnect it from a windows computer.  And there's stuff on it that will not delete! 

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Advertisements

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Something else has come up.  I saw a YouTube video that brought up problems with the Windows magnifier in Win 10!

If the magnifier doesn't work properly in Win 10, I won't be able to use my computer!  :(

This kind of thing happens to people with disabilities all the time.  Firefox lost its ability to do caret browsing FOR YEARS!  I can't use Windows 10 without the magnifier... and I can't pay for a third-party magnifier!  And as far as I know, nothing with what I need even exists outside the the default Windows magnifier.  I searched.

If I just download Win 10 to a thumb drive, without installing it until the Win 10 magnifier is fixed, will I be able to do the upgrade, (and then the clean install), for free, even though the deadline has passed?

This is why I tend to leave updated turned off.  :(

Years ago, I hosted what was probably the only radio show on disability issues in the United States.  (WBAI FM, in New York City)...  When Windows first came out, way too many people told me they could no longer use their computers!  And these days, updates and upgrades that lock people with disabilities out, are much more serious!  

And forcing people with impaired abilities to work much harder at getting basic functionality for their computers is totally absurd.  :(

You're a Windows Insider.  Do you know anything about this magnifier problem?  It's been my experience that asking companies to fix stuff like this almost never works.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Something else has come up.  I saw a YouTube video that brought up problems with the Windows magnifier in Win 10!

If the magnifier doesn't work properly in Win 10, I won't be able to use my computer!  :(

This kind of thing happens to people with disabilities all the time.  Firefox lost its ability to do caret browsing FOR YEARS!  I can't use Windows 10 without the magnifier... and I can't pay for a third-party magnifier!  And as far as I know, nothing with what I need even exists outside the the default Windows magnifier.  I searched.

If I just download Win 10 to a thumb drive, without installing it until the Win 10 magnifier is fixed, will I be able to do the upgrade, (and then the clean install), for free, even though the deadline has passed?

Years ago, I hosted what was probably the only radio show on disability issues in the United States.  (WBAI FM, in New York City)...  When Windows first came out, way too many people told me they could no longer use their computers!  And these days, updates and upgrades that lock people with disabilities out, are much more serious!  

And forcing people with impaired abilities to work much harder at getting basic functionality for their computers is totally absurd.  :(

You're a Windows Insider.  Do you know anything about this magnifier problem?  It's been my experience that asking companies to fix stuff like this almost never works.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

test...

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Well, i don't see how that mode can be useful. Full Screen mode and Lens mode are so much better IMO. I have played a little with that magnifier but i think that it is not following the entered text in docked mode even when the option is turned on. I will report this to the developers but i can't guarantee that it will be fixed in a month or so. But rest assured it will be fixed in the future. For me the other modes much more useful. You have to activate it till 29th July, it has to be installed till then. You can of course roll back to Windows 8.1 manually on demand 30 days after upgrading. I find it useful (the magnifier) but i will report it and it will be fixed some time in the future.

ScreenShot_20160702210458.png
Untitled.jpg