Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Panasonic SC-HT500 audio issues

homecinema audio panasonic laptop tv

• Please log in to reply

grienen

grienen

• Pip
  • 2 posts

So i don't know if there is a solution to this, but i sure hope so.

As a house-warming gift, my aunt gave me her Home Cinema set (Panasonic SC HT500). I decided to install it in our upstairs room where we watch most of our movies, but the problem is we do this via online streaming services such as Netflix. Now i thought i could install the home cinema as usual, plug in my laptop via HDMI to the TV and we could enjoy our enhanced sound.... but when i switched my TV to the HDMI input, the sound didn't come through the cinema speakers, it came through the TV speakers. And the sound of my TV input was coming through the cinema speakers (even though the TV was on HDMI). Now there is an option on the Home Cinema that says "VCR/AUX" so i tried connecting my laptop to the home cinema with an aux cable, but no result (not even sound).

My next thought was to search for a Scart to HDMI cable and try to connect the Home Cinema to my laptop (so the Home Cinema would think my laptop is the TV) and connect my laptop to the TV with a second HDMI. But before i did so, i thought i would ask this here.

Do you guys think this will work? If no, what could work?

Thanks

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

connect the laptop to the tv via hdmi then connect the sound output from the back of the tv into the home cinema sound input. probably a cable like this :- https://www.amazon.c...ds=sound cables

or maybe a cable like this :- https://www.amazon.c...ds=sound cables

depends on which sound output used from the tv on what cable you'd need.

set tv to correct hdmi channel now stream from the laptop to the tv, turn down the tv sound, set home cinema to the correct sound input source (aux) and you should now hear the correct sound for the picture. control volume using the home cinema remote.

if the sound out from the home cinema isn't correct then you probably just need to change the source selected on the home cinema until you get the right source (don't forget connection goes sound out from the tv to sound in on the home cinema.) and it's playing the sound out from the tv.

or you can use the second cable type linked to just pass the sound directly from the laptops headphone socket out to the home cinema system while passing the picture to the tv using the hdmi cable. first method is better though because then you would get sound out from the home cinema when using the tv or when streaming from the laptop. this method would only give you sound out when streaming from the laptop and not when just using the tv.

:popcorn:

but when i switched my TV to the HDMI input, the sound didn't come through the cinema speakers, it came through the TV speakers. And the sound of my TV input was coming through the cinema speakers (even though the TV was on HDMI).

just noticed this, sounds weird can you list the make and model of the tv so i can check things, usually the sound out (not input. and is usually either a single headphone jack socket or/and a 2 phono rca connections 1red and 1white) from the connection on the back of the tv is the same that's playing and coming out of the tv speakers when i've set up similar systems. (only set up 3, 1 for my parents home, 1 for my daughters home and mine.)

Edited by terry1966, 08 November 2016 - 06:51 AM.

grienen

grienen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

but when i switched my TV to the HDMI input, the sound didn't come through the cinema speakers, it came through the TV speakers. And the sound of my TV input was coming through the cinema speakers (even though the TV was on HDMI).

just noticed this, sounds weird can you list the make and model of the tv so i can check things, usually the sound out (not input. and is usually either a single headphone jack socket or/and a 2 phono rca connections 1red and 1white) from the connection on the back of the tv is the same that's playing and coming out of the tv speakers when i've set up similar systems. (only set up 3, 1 for my parents home, 1 for my daughters home and mine.)

My TV is an LG 39LN5404, but i'll give it a try with the cables you listed. I'll do have to order them though.

thanks for the quick reply!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest i can't see where that tv has any sound out connections except for optical out (toslink.) which won't work direct to the home cinema system.

http://www.lg.com/nl...39LN5404-led-tv

might be wrong though because i don't understand german.

so the only option i can see is to use a digital toslink to phono converter like this :- https://www.amazon.c...ptical to phono

to get sound out from the tv to the home cinima system,

you can always just connect the sound out directly from the laptop to the home system too bypassing the tv altogether as mentioned in last post.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 09 November 2016 - 03:13 AM.