Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MicroSD Card Not Detected

Sony Xperia SD Card

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello there!

I have a Sony Xperia D5803 (Android) phone which I inherited from my daughter last December. (Prior to that I had a previous version of Xperia, which my husband has now taken over)

My problem is that I am running out of space on the phone and so bought an SD card (SanDisk Ultra Android 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card). I have inserted the card into the slot next to where the charger goes which says Micro SD - no idea if I did it correctly, but the card at least stays in! I do not however have any idea what to do next. :(

If I go to Settings > Storage, all it shows is the Internal Storage. There is no mention of an SD card anywhere. I downloaded an app called 'SanDisk Memory Zone' and in there it says 'microSD card not detected'. Is there a way I can find out if the fault is with the phone or the SD card? Or am I doing something wrong (as usually tends to be the case)? I know absolutely nothing about SD cards as have never used one on a phone before, nor has my daughter.

Can anyone offer any advice, please? I badly need some more space on my phone!

Chris.

Advertisements

emma02

emma02

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi,

Few Weeks back even I faced the same issue…The slot was obstructed! I Removed the Micro-SD card and blew good air into the slot and it just happened to work for me!!

You could also give it a try… while reinserting the SD card ensure that the label is facing you, push the card in until you hear a clicking sound.

To Figure out if the fault is with the phone or the SD card Repeat the same steps with a different Micro-SD if it works then the fault is with the San-disk SD card and if the issue still persists then perhaps the fault is with the phone.

I Hope this Helps You.

Good Luck J

Edited by emma02, 04 May 2017 - 02:02 AM.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thanks very much for your reply, emma02.

I have tried everything with the phone, but the SD card just will not work.

I had pretty much convinced  that the phone was the culprit, as it has been through a lot: I had to have a new screen put in when I first took over the phone - and the back has some cracks in it (which mysteriously appeared a month ago, for no apparent reason). So, I thought the SD card slot must have been damaged somehow too. However, I discovered that it is possible to put the card in the adapter that came with it and insert it into a computer (something I never even knew about before!) Having discovered that, I realised that my 11-year-old computer is too old to accept an SDHC card and thought that my laptop - which is also pretty old and another of my daughter's hand-me-downs - would be too. However, I checked in the manual and discovered that it does accept SDHC cards. Having sussed that out though, I put the card into the laptop and could not seem to get the laptop to detect the card there either. :(

Do you think that if I went into the phone shop, they might be able to test the card for me? I don't have any other SD cards that I could try in my phone btw, nor do I know anybody who does.

Chris

Edited by Channeal, 05 May 2017 - 01:26 PM.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thanks for your reply merar4.

I don't have another phone I could try the SD card in. I did however manage to update the driver for the card reader on my laptop and try the card in there, but it does not seem to be picking the card up. I inserted it (using the adapter provided) into the SD slot, but it does not seem that the laptop is recognizing it as it doesn't show up with the other drives - and the light by the SD slot does not light up (I am presuming that it should do?). So, I am now thinking that it might perhaps be the SD card itself which is at fault.

I am now thinking that as the cards are not too expensive the only solution might be to buy another one and see if I have better luck with that! :(

Chris.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

might be the readers that are at fault and not the card, see my reply in your other topic :-  http://www.geekstogo...-vaio-notebook/

so might be worth buying a cheap reader to test the card with on the laptop, this would prove if it's the reader or card at fault. :- https://www.amazon.c...CQTDCSNP6BMNM6Q

if the card works on the laptop with the new reader, then format it and try it again in the phone.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 16 May 2017 - 08:50 PM.