Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Windows 7 Crashes

Best Answer Solice93 , 12 May 2019 - 11:41 AM

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I mean I guess that the original problem is resolved, but I have no idea why. Just kinda stopped happening after I replaced the motherboard and power supply.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Something I did notice is that when I looked at the screenshots in the previous post, as soon as I clicked on it and it started to enlarge on the screen, it crashed. What the... is that? I have been noticing that I can be playing a game, click on a menu, and the pc crashes. It just seems to crash when I click on random things. I hope you can get some useful information out of those screenshots and what I just posted.

Advertisements

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I have a status update: I decided to disassemble my computer and I found some pretty disturbing things. Number one, the heatsink for the ram was bent physically. It could have potentially shorted something or caused the heat to fluctuate out of control. Number two, the input for the 12 volt plug on the motherboard has been fried in two places. I'm currently putting all of my salvageable equipment into my old desktop. I'm not reusing the old power supply or the ram that has been bent. I am now in need of a new power supply, which one would you recommend for my setup? I will post pictures when I can. I'm currently using my mobile phone as I have been for the last few posts.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you Solice93  :(

Bit too soon to be replacing the PSU tbh but the one here was the best that I could find for a reasonable price.

Will wait on your pictures for now.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Oh, no worries dude. Life happens, and you have been a great help.

https://www.dropbox....Q3gF_Qh50a?dl=0

Here is a link to the pictures. Notice the scorch marks on the female 12V plug. The power cable itself is the same way. I think the PSU is toast unless you think otherwise. But truth be told, I'm not going to reuse it again. I'm not sure whether to blame the PSU or the Mobo in this case, but I'm almost 100% positive that it was a short. I'm extremely fortunate that it didn't fry my equipment. 

To update you on the situation, I have an old tower with an MSI 970 gaming mobo in it for the AM3+ socket and a Thermaltake 430W Bronze PSU. I transferred as much salvageable equipment from the other desktop to this one. By doing so, I managed to not trigger the hal.dll to act up, or invalidate my windows 7 key. I installed the proper drivers for the new mobo, but now I am getting an Eaccess violation message for the old motherboard. What should I do from here? Also, I haven't had any crashes so far. Will keep you updated until I hear from you again.

Update:

Installed and opened up msi command center and it said "Not recommenced CPU voltage". What? 

I can't get any of my USB 3.0 ports to work at all. I have a feeling it's from changing motherboards and driver conflictions. I've been googling it, but nothing useful pulls up. I'll do some more searching till I hear from you.

The EAccessViolation is coming from the EPU-4 Engine from the previous motherboard.

Edited by Solice93, 27 April 2019 - 08:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

The scorching on the MB looks bad but hard to say whether or not the thermal compound had been applied correctly, it does look kind of messy after it has been spread and heated up etc.

I installed the proper drivers for the new mobo, but now I am getting an Eaccess violation message for the old motherboard. What should I do from here?

The EAccessViolation is coming from the EPU-4 Engine from the previous motherboard.

All software for the previous MB needs to be uninstalled and the best way to have done this would have been, after swapping in the MSI board, boot into Safe Mode, uninstall the previous MBs, software, restart the computer, install the MSI boards drivers and starting with the chipset drivers first.

I can't get any of my USB 3.0 ports to work at all

What chipset drivers did you install, AMD or Via, reason I ask is because only the VIA drivers support USB 3.0.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Ok, most significant thing I need help with right now is getting these voltages under control and I have no idea why this is happening. 

CPU Core is 1.408 v

Dram is 1.488 v

System 3.3 v is 3.312 v

System 5 v is 5.082 v

System 12v is 11.968 v

I assume that these voltages aren't good for my computer.

Also, whenever I look up the voltage readings the computer freezes in the bios menu. The power and reset buttons still do respond though. What the heck is going on with my computer?

And now programs are running super slowly at times. Web pages barely want to load before they time out.

Edited by Solice93, 28 April 2019 - 09:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
Thermaltake 430W Bronze PSU.

A rather old and not the best of quality PSU so could be the culprit.

What chipset drivers did you install, AMD or Via, reason I ask is because only the VIA drivers support USB 3.0.

You overlooked answering this, there are two lots of chipset drivers for this board, if the wrong drivers have been installed you will have all sorts of problems.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

VIA Driver V4.90A

Sorry, did not mean to overlook anything, just really concerned about those voltages.

Edited by Solice93, 28 April 2019 - 11:40 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

No worries, if you look on your MB do you see a the Via logo stamped on the chipset, just wanting to make we have the right drivers installed..

Your CPU is the one voltage of concern, does that MB come with auto overclocking

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
After thuroughly looking over the mb, I cannot find VIA written anywhere. I did load the original driver disk for the mb and it installed the VIA driver.

My bios has the OC Genie function, but I don't have that activated. Other than that, nothing that implicitly states that it is being OC'd

HW monitor is currently reading:

+3.3V at 3.344v
CPU VCore at 0.952v
VIN2 at 2.960v
VIN3 at 1.411v
+5V at 5.844v
+12V at 13.376v
VIN6 at 2.416v
VSB3V at 3.328v
VBAT at 3.232v

And the bios is reading the CPU temp at 49C, mb at 43C

Here are all of the options on my OC menu of the bios. https://www.dropbox....4Meb6E_dOa?dl=0

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

If you run Speccy that will tell you if you have a Via chipset.

Some of those HWMonitor readings are off and looking at your BIOS pics the CPU is being auto OCd and that is why you are getting the 1.408 voltage reading for the CPU.

You could try loading the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS, they are sometimes listed as optimised settings and sometimes most stable settings.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Speccy:
Manufacturer MSI
model 970 gaming (Ms - 7693)
version 4.0
chipset vendor AMD
chipset model rd9x0
chipset revision 02
South bridge vendor AMD
southbridge model SB 910 - 950
southbridge revision 40
system temperature 23° c

And you are right about the off readings. The HW monitor on MSI Command Center says that:

Vcore voltage is 0.952 volts
3.3V is 3.328 volts
5V is 5.045 volts
12v is 12.320 volts
CPU voltage is 1.216 volts
dram voltage is 1.480 volts
CPU temperature is 21° c
system temperature is 34° c

I set the bios back to system defaults.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

The AMD chipset on your MB does not support USB 3.0, possibly because it is an earlier version of the same board, the following info is from your MB specs here click on the Detail tab there.

USB

• AMD® SB950 Chipset
- 14x USB 2.0 ports (8 ports on the back panel, 6 ports available through the internal USB 2.0 connectors)

• VIA VL806 Chipset
- 4 x USB 3.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB 3.0 connector)*
* These USB 3.0 ports do not support M-Flash recovery function.

How are things since you restored the MBs factory default settings.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Well, ok I guess. No random shutdowns, but I still have no clue why, or why the 12V input fried like it did.

When I first used that mb I'm currently using now, usb 3.0 worked just fine. Can we get it functioning again? The driver CD that came with it by default has VIA drivers on it, which implies to me that there is a driver confliction. I have disabled the 3.0 ports for now through the bios just so that nothing goes haywire again. But there are 3.0 ports, and they did work in the past.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
To clarify, my original desktop is the one I'm using now. It had the 970 gaming motherboard, in AMD am3+ 4350 Black edition processor, and 8 gigabytes of RAM. The desktop I was using that has the fried motherboard is the one with the Asus motherboard. That one came with the AMD am3+ 8350 Black edition processor, 16GB of RAM, and an aftermarket CPU cooler. When my motherboard on that computer fried, I transferred salvageable components from that desktop into my original desktop with the 970 gaming motherboard. All of the components on the 970 gaming motherboard worked properly before I stopped using it.