Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird login screen behavior from Windows 10

windows 10 password login fake login screen

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

This is what my desktop shows:

I have Avast and you can see it has added aswKbd to the UpperFilter.  Apparently Avira does not use the UpperFilter.  I also just have the one Keyboard instance.  Not sure why you have three.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Class    REG_SZ    Keyboard
    ClassDesc    REG_SZ    @%SystemRoot%\System32\SysClass.Dll,-3002
    UpperFilters    REG_MULTI_SZ    aswKbd\0kbdclass
    IconPath    REG_MULTI_SZ    %SystemRoot%\System32\setupapi.dll,-3
    NoInstallClass    REG_SZ    1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
    DriverDesc    REG_SZ    HID Keyboard Device
    ProviderName    REG_SZ    Microsoft
    DriverDateData    REG_BINARY    00808CA3C594C601
    DriverDate    REG_SZ    6-21-2006
    DriverVersion    REG_SZ    10.0.18362.1
    InfPath    REG_SZ    keyboard.inf
    InfSection    REG_SZ    HID_Keyboard_Inst.NT
    MatchingDeviceId    REG_SZ    HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_KEYBOARD

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\Properties

Since it's working for now I guess we just have to wait and see if it goes bad again.  I will try and figure out why you have three keyboards.  Will fire up my laptop and see if it has multiples too.

Advertisements

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Hi. Thank you for all your help. If you figure it out, let me know. It's all Greek to me. So far today, typing is issue-free. (Tempting providence?)

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Hello there. Sadly, the problem of random beeps and key strikes not producing type has returned. What's new/different is the increased frequency of beeps (happens a lot ias I use the trackpad to move the cursor, though not every time). Would value your help, as ever. Thank you very much (that took forever to type due to the issue).

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Let's rerun the last fixlist to look at the Keyboard registry entry and see if anything has changed.

Attached File  fixlist.txt   242bytes   125 downloads

Just post the fixlog.  No need to rerun FRST scan yet.

When I look at my laptop I only have the one keyboard instance and it has three upper filters.  It has one for the touchpad, the usual keyboard one and then one for Avast.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Thank you. Typing this morning - at present - okay after start-up. I remembered there was a problem last time I tried to use the fixlist thing so went back to page 11. Back then, you'd said download the fixlist and move it to desktop. The first time I did this just now, it disappeared entirely after the drag & drop! I also  noted some latency in trying to shift the window to one side so I could drag and drop (could it be a touchpad issue?) So I tried again but the fixlist had also disappeared from the list of downloads so I downloaded it again and then it re-appeared together with the second attempt's one with a very long file name. I dragged and dropped the first one into the desktop and then it said there was no fixlist (see screenshot) but there was so I'm guessing it's not in the desktop at all, although it was last time. Yours very confused. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

It is there, the fixlist, sitting on the desktop, but the same message appears.  Thank you.

Edited by daba, 28 September 2020 - 02:13 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

It's not named fixlist.txt.  Instead it is named fixlist(1).txt.  Right click on it and Rename and make it say fixlist without the(1)

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Agh! Thank you.

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) Version: 23-09-2020
Ran by David Jackson (28-09-2020 11:36:25) Run:11
Running from C:\Users\David Jackson\Desktop
Loaded Profiles: David Jackson
Boot Mode: Normal
==============================================

fixlist content:
REG: reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} /s

========= reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} /s =========

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Class    REG_SZ    Keyboard
    ClassDesc    REG_SZ    @%SystemRoot%\System32\SysClass.Dll,-3002
    UpperFilters    REG_MULTI_SZ    kbdclass
    IconPath    REG_MULTI_SZ    %SystemRoot%\System32\setupapi.dll,-3
    NoInstallClass    REG_SZ    1
    LastDeleteDate    REG_BINARY    54FC001F2581D601

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
    DriverDesc    REG_SZ    HID Keyboard Device
    ProviderName    REG_SZ    Microsoft
    DriverDateData    REG_BINARY    00808CA3C594C601
    DriverDate    REG_SZ    6-21-2006
    DriverVersion    REG_SZ    10.0.18362.1
    InfPath    REG_SZ    keyboard.inf
    InfSection    REG_SZ    HID_Keyboard_Inst.NT
    MatchingDeviceId    REG_SZ    HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_KEYBOARD

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001
    DriverDesc    REG_SZ    HID Keyboard Device
    InfSection    REG_SZ    HID_Keyboard_Inst.NT
    MatchingDeviceId    REG_SZ    HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_KEYBOARD

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002
    DriverDesc    REG_SZ    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    InfSection    REG_SZ    STANDARD_Inst
    MatchingDeviceId    REG_SZ    *PNP0303
    LocationInformationOverride    REG_SZ    plugged into keyboard port

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\Properties

========= End of Reg: =========

==== End of Fixlog 11:36:26 ====

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

That didn't change from before.  I wonder if the lack of a touchpad driver in the line:

UpperFilters    REG_MULTI_SZ    kbdclass

Is part of the problem.

Search for

device manager

hit Enter

Click on the arrow in front of "Mice and other pointing devices"

Right click on your touchpad and Uninstall Device.  Reboot.

If that doesn't help then look on your PC makers website and see if there is a newer (or even older) touchpad driver from what you have and try to download and install it.

I can look for one:

Right click on the touchpad entry under Mice and other pointing devices and select properties then click on the Details tab.  
Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a reply

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Thanks. As the screenshot shows, there's nothing there in the way of Touchpad.

(Okay, so I tried to upload the screenshot three times - in vain). Essentially, when I click the arrow to the left of Mice and other pointing devices, the only thing that displays is HID-compliant mouse. That's it.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Go back into Device Manager and click on the Arrow in front of Human Interface Devices.  See if the touchpad is there.

I think you must have told me before but I can't find it now. What is the  model number & service tag of your PC?

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Thank you. HID\VEN_DELL&DEV_0841&Col02

63J4YN2 Vostro 14-3478

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Search for

control panel

hit Enter.

If you haven't already, change it from View By Category to View By Large Icons.

Sometimes there will be a separate icon for the Touchpad (Which appears to be called Clickpad and is from Synaptics).  If you don't see one then look in Mouse.  Sometimes there is a separate tab for the touchpad.  Other times you have to go to the Hardware tab and select the Touchpad and then hit Properties.  If that's the case click on the Driver tab and see if you have an option to upgrade the driver or to uninstall it.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Also try:

https://www.dell.com...-and-10?lang=en

Apparently there is no driver - uses one from Windows.  Do you have a USB mouse you could plug in and then disable the touchpad?

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Thank you. You've lost me a little. On my laptop, when I go to Control Panel, there's no 'ENTER', just an arrow which opens a big list (you helped me get that retro shell thing, if you remember). Nothing under mouse and no hardware tab. I'm a bit tired so might be misunderstanding. The weird thing is the utter randomness: all day today there has been zero lagginess/skipping when typing - it's perfect. Feels REALLY weird because for the last four or five days, it's been a real pain. Now, it's all okay - until, who knows, tomorrow, the next day. 

I have a mouse somewhere but since there's no surface on which to place it, I always use the touchpad (I'm in very cramped and difficult living conditions).