Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Blue Screen on startup Windows 7 Home Edition Repair (Resolved)

Best Answer JimSellers , 20 November 2021 - 01:58 PM

BRAVO BRAVO Phillpower2 After eight pages of your patience and guidance I have two computers fixed and two computers upgraded to windows 10. I cannot tell you how amazed and how grateful I am. Th... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JimSellers

JimSellers

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Using Acer Aspire E1-532-4629 laptop running Windows 7 Home Edition.

My wife's computer on start up after one second of the Acer logo I get a blank blue screen which lasts for one minute and then the computer shuts down. If I press F8 after the Acer logo I get a blank black screen and the computer does not shut down. if while on the blue screen I press Cont+Alt+Del the blue screen goes to a blank black screen and four seconds later the Acer logo comes back on followed by the blank blue screen, and the computer shuts down after one minute. I have a Windows 7 repair disk but it is no help. I cannot get to safe mode. I have not made any recent software or hardware changes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jim

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Strange that you are not getting any on screen message concerning there being no boot device.

Can you get into the BIOS at all.

NB: Support for Windows 7 has ceased and this forum not intended for Windows only the likes of Linux and Ubuntu.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply. I took a guess and used F2 and have a bios screen. Thanks for the nudge. I selected the CD/DVD drive and inserted the repair disc and am at a screen asking me to select an option. I selected "Toshiba Recovery Wizard" and got a "Set Recovery method" screen "Please set 1st recovery media, and press [Next >] to continue. I inserted the repair disk, and the drive kicked it out, and the machine returned to the "Set Recovery media screen. I selected the other option "System Recovery Options" selected the US keyboard input method, and hit next, and it says "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows."  The repair disc I used is for my computer which is using Windows 7 Home edition as well. I selected OK, and the computer restarted, and I hit F8, and got the boot options screen, and selected "Safe Mode," and it sent me back to the "Selecting a Process" screen. Can I download something that will help?

Cheers, Jim

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
  The repair disc I used is for my computer which is using Windows 7 Home edition as well. I selected OK

Sorry but you cannot use your disk as it does not contain the Acer drivers that are required.

If there is data on the notebooks hard drive that you need let us know, if not, restart the notebook, hold down the Alt key and continually tap the F10 key to see if there is any recovery partition present.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

We would like to save some stuff on the hard drive if possible.    Thanks, Fred

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

=================== 

***Required Hardware*** 

CD Burner (CDRW) Drive, 

Blank CD, 

Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)  

=================== 

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created 

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second 

•  

• Start the computer/press the power button 

• Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup" 

(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen) 

• Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to: 

CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd 

• Open your ROM drive and insert the disk 

• Press F10 to save and exit 

• Agree with "Y" to continue 

• Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD 

4%20BIOSBootPriorityImage.png 

3.  Recover Your Data 

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM).  You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer".  Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning.  Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy.  To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once.  Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to.  This is normal.  Ready?  Let's get started. 

3a. Mount Drives 

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5%20Puppy%20Linux%20Mount%20Icon.PNG 

• A Window will open.  By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted.  Click on Mount for your hard drive. 

• Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount. 

• USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted. 

• If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab.  Mount it now. 

3b. Transfer Files.

•  

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon. 

• Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1 

• Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1 

• If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows) 

• From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window. 

For The Novice:  The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders for XP is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each individual name of each user, for Vista and above  C:\Users\$USERNAME\[...]. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos

Remember to only click once!  No double clicking!  Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy.  Choose COPY each time you drag and drop. 

YOU ARE DONE!!!  Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer.  Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations! 

PuppyLinux528screenshot.png 

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Thanks, I'll get an external hard drive tomorrow, do the above, and be back in touch. Thanks again, Jim

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

An external HDD is a must have for backing up so it will be money well spent  :thumbsup:

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Phillpower2

I've got the external hard drive (should have had one all along, I agree) and I am on the Puppy graphical interface. I am working on figuring it out, and will get back to you tomorrow. Thanks for the patience.

Cheers, Jim

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
 I am on the Puppy graphical interface.

From there you only have to mount the drive, sda 0 or 1 from bottom left of the screen.

Advertisements

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I have an sda1 (vfat 300MB), an sba3 (ntfs 451.0G 352.1G free) and an sda4 (ntfs 14.4 G) and an sr0 (which I think is the CD drive. The sda3 is the one with the Users so I think that's the one with the stuff I need to save. It doesn't look to me like it's seeing the external hard drive which I think should be sdb1 (from reading the introduction in "help.") I have included some pictures.

Thanks, Fred

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4525.jpg
  • IMG_4526.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
sba3 (ntfs 451.0G 352.1G free)

The above looks like the drive with the data on it, just mount it in Puppy and all should be revealed.

and an sda4 (ntfs 14.4 G)

Could be a recovery partition or small data partition, likewise, mount it in Puppy and all should be revealed.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

OK, they're mounted, but how do I get stuff to the external drive. I don't see where I can open the external drive to drag and drop the stuff.

I have a 16GB flash drive, and I restarted, and it sees it, and transfers files to it. I tried the external drive on my computer, and it is seen, and I can transfer to it. I shut down the Acer, plugged in the external drive, and it will not see it.

Progress!  I acquired another external hard drive, and Puppy sees this one. I am awaiting permission from the owner of the acquired hard drive to erase its contents, and then I'll use it to download the data from the problem laptop. I'm pretty sure I'll get permission, but I don't want to proceed without it.

Cheers, Jim

Edited by JimSellers, 21 October 2021 - 08:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Did you format/initialise the new external drive before storing data to it, if not, Initialize new disks

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

No, I did not initialize it, and that is probably why Puppy is not seeing it. I can backup and restore from the new hard drive on my computer, but it could not make a system image because it said it was not formatted for NTFS. I'll take care of that later. Puppy sees the borrowed one, and I'm downloading data to that one. OK, I've got the data downloaded, and am ready for the next step. Thanks for the patience.

Cheers, Fred