Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer driving me crazy! Keeps freezing out mouse betwee

• Please log in to reply

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I'll try 4.

- Happy Holidays!

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Launching the browser with 4 resulted in audio extremely slow audio drop-outs and freezing in another browser set to 8 (default).

Reduced 4 to 3 to wait and see if there's a difference.

Happy New Year and I hope the dish project on your roof has become secure and successful!

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Hi, the browser isn't causing issues when set to 3. But I think my two mp3 players (XMPlay & Foobar2000) are sometimes causing the other to freeze audio, e.g. I pause foobar, and XMPlay freezes, then I close foobar and successfully click to resume XMPlay.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

If you pause MSE & MBAM do you still have the problem?

Also you may have told me before but what Motherboard do you have?  Is it so old that it can't do SATA3?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

IIRC, we tried pausing MSE & MBAM.

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T (LGA1366)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Appears the motherboard can only do SATA II so that's why Speccy shows SATA II & not SATA III.  Was hoping something was wrong there.  Does mean that PageFaults will have more of an effect than they normally would with an SSD.

Does Latency Monitor show a lot of page faults when you run one of the problem programs?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Msmpeng.exe shows 40+ faults every time.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I think that's MSE.  Can you disable it for a while?  Also there is a lot of stuff on the Internet about excluding its own folder from its scanning.  Appears that fixes some problems.  

1. In MSE's "Settings," exclude its own folder from being scanned (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client)

Have we run some extra scans like MBAR or ESET to make sure there is nothing annoying MSE?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I could disable it, but I'd have to do it for a whole week, as symptoms aren't daily.

I've now excluded MSE's own directory.

I don't remember doing MBAR or ESET.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

This is MBAR:

https://www.malwareb...com/antirootkit

Hit the Download button, save then go to the download folder and right click on the file and Run As Admin.  Follow the instructions.  Will go faster if MSE is not fighting it so best to disable MSE first.

ESET:

https://www.eset.com...online-scanner/

Download button on bottom of page.  Same instructions.  Might want to run at night while you sleep as the last time I ran it it took several hours to complete.

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Scans were clean.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I think the latest update to MSE is killing you.  Microsoft doesn't care if it fouls up Win 7 in fact they would probably consider it a desirable trait.  Check to make sure it is not trying to do scans when you want to use the PC.  

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I let MSE do a scheduled late night scan, so I'll check to see if it's scanning when audio drops again.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

No, I've checked and the MSE scan isn't running during audio dropouts.

Btw, I've noticed a strange buzz sound that happens (not during dropouts) and my event viewer doesn't show anything happening at the timestamp. I've muted system/windows sounds.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Buzzing sound?  From the fan perhaps or perhaps the power supply (it has a fan too)?  Perhaps there's a fan in the graphics adapter.  Might be the hard drive going bad.  CD/DVD?  Not much else that can make a noise unless that power supply voltage isn't filtered like it should be then you could hear noise on the speaker even when it is muted.