Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows boot loop/freezes/crashes

Best Answer phillpower2 , 12 January 2024 - 08:10 AM

Been over a week with no constructive feedback and being that the GPU issue;s are not related to the OPs original troubles I`m going to go ahead and mark this thread as being solved and the issue/s... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Hi guys,

The problem started with my pc freezing, going to a black screen, then showing an amd driver issue.

"AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.11.1 Release Date: 11/2/2023"

- I uninstalled the drivers with DDU but it would still freeze.

- I downgraded versions and still no success. I went to the previous 3 versions with no success.

Running windows in safe-mode with networking seemed to slow the freezes down a lot.

- I scanned for malware using anti-malwarebytes with no results showing.

Now I'm at the point where I've had to reinstall windows 10 times over the past two weeks just to be able to log in to windows. Once I do a windows update or amd driver update after installing windows I either get the same results with the freezing and black screens or I get the windows boot loop once I restart the PC after updating windows or installing amd drivers.

- I've replaced the RAM going off the advice of my own online research to no success. The ram is currently sitting in 3-4 slot due to the cpu fan but that's never been a problem. 

I won't update or restart the pc until notified otherwise as I'm worried I'll have to reinstall windows again just to get to this point. 

- I've double checked that all plugs into the HDD, SSD, GPU etc...are all plugged in properly.

I believe the first error kept pointing to the amd drivers, now I'm second guessing and thinking it maybe a hdd/ssd failure. Both have been tested and seem to be showing up in bios, although I'm unsure about the integrity of the SSD which I'm now using as a slave.

- I've tried multiple boot repairs following youtube videos with no success.

- Nothing out of the ordinary in temperature.

I Don't really want to take my pc in as it's quite close to Christmas, this is my last resort as all my other options have been exhausted. Any help or advice would be highly appreciated please.

My specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

MOBO ASRock B450 Pro4 (AM4)

BIOS updated to 4.50

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

GPU Radeon RX 580

RAM Kingston 16gb 

STORAGE

931GB SAMSUNG HD103SI (SATA ) 26 °C - MAIN
931GB Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB (SATA (SSD)) 31 °C - SLAVE
931GB TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 USB Device (USB (SATA) )

Current log from sfc scan attached.

Edited by Bosscoe, 09 December 2023 - 04:20 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Missing from the parts list is the most important component of all, the PSU, can you post the brand and model name or number + how old the supply is.

The ram is currently sitting in 3-4 slot due to the cpu fan but that's never been a problem. 

The MB does not support RAM in just those two slots, among problems that you will encounter is the fact that the RAM can only work in single channel which is 50% slower than what the RAM is capable of.

Leave the PC as it is for now and do the below for us;

Download then run Speccy ( free ) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

second guessing and thinking it maybe a hdd/ssd failure. Both have been tested and seem to be showing up in bios,

How did you check the disks? 

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I suggest you clean install Windows 10 but make sure you won't update device drivers to find out if its faulty hardware causing the problem if the problem still persists then it faulty hardware.

- As of now I'm on the 11th clean install of windows but I haven't touched the update section. I've been scrolling through forums to see if I could pick up anything else I might have missed but nothing major maybe clicking the "Windows 10 2022 Update | Version 22H2" will help as I've seen the advice given to someone else here. There hasn't been any bsods or black screens for the past 4 hours since I installed windows. I'm Scared to update anything.

Missing from the parts list is the most important component of all, the PSU, can you post the brand and model name or number + how old the supply is.

The ram is currently sitting in 3-4 slot due to the cpu fan but that's never been a problem. 

The MB does not support RAM in just those two slots, among problems that you will encounter is the fact that the RAM can only work in single channel which is 50% slower than what the RAM is capable of.

Leave the PC as it is for now and do the below for us;

Download then run Speccy ( free ) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

http://speccy.pirifo...gcALTIpr4GI4jXT

second guessing and thinking it maybe a hdd/ssd failure. Both have been tested and seem to be showing up in bios,

How did you check the disks? 

I plugged them in individually and Bios would show that it recognized it. Right now I have them both plugged in.

Edit: PSU Kolink Enclave Gold Modular 600W Power purchased mid 2022

Edited by Bosscoe, 09 December 2023 - 05:21 AM.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

I plugged them in individually and Bios would show that it recognized it. Right now I have them both plugged in.

I suspected that. This isn't a way to check your disks.

Let's do a check with the easy way:

• Download CrystalDiskInfo from here and save it to your Desktop.
  • Run the installer to install the program.
  • When finished, open the installed program by double clicking on it.
  • If everything is working properly, you should see the status “Good“ displayed. Other statuses you might see include “Bad” (which usually indicates a drive that’s dead or near death), “Caution” (which indicates a drive that you should most likely be thinking about backing up and replacing), and “Unknown” (which just means that information could not be obtained).
  • Change the C letter and check what the result is for all your other disks. 
  • Let me know the results. You can take a screenshot for every disk result and attach them in your next reply. 

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I suspected that. This isn't a way to check your disks.

Let's do a check with the easy way:

• Download CrystalDiskInfo from here and save it to your Desktop.
  • Run the installer to install the program.
  • When finished, open the installed program by double clicking on it.
  • If everything is working properly, you should see the status “Good“ displayed. Other statuses you might see include “Bad” (which usually indicates a drive that’s dead or near death), “Caution” (which indicates a drive that you should most likely be thinking about backing up and replacing), and “Unknown” (which just means that information could not be obtained).
  • Change the C letter and check what the result is for all your other disks. 
  • Let me know the results. You can take a screenshot for every disk result and attach them in your next reply. 

:laughing: Learn something new every day, thank you for this I'll remember this program for next time. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Main.jpg
  • slave.jpg

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

As you can see, your C disk is failing. 

Thus, the important thing for you now is to backup all your personal files and buy another disk to replace C. 

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

As you can see, your C disk is failing. 

Thus, the important thing for you now is to backup all your personal files and buy another disk to replace C. 

Awesome, so that explains the boot loops. Is there a way to see if my gpu is dying as well? I did notice some artifacts heavily during gameplay on Battlefield 2042, minimal during league of legends and slow texture loads on GTA5. Could this explain the black screens and freezes?? I've tried doing a stress test on fumark but things looked normal to me, as in there were no immediate visual indications that made me think it was dying. I did take it apart and clean it as it was covered in dust as if it were a sheep.

Do you suggest I reinstall windows on the SSD and try to update windows and amd drivers from there?

Attached Thumbnails

• 368582533_1087819808891064_739084991292454441_n.jpg

Edited by Bosscoe, 09 December 2023 - 05:56 AM.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

Could this explain the black screens and freezes??

A bad disk can explain these, for sure.

As to gpu, I believe @philpower2 is more suitable to give a reply.

Do you suggest I reinstall windows on the SSD and try to update windows and amd drivers from there?

My suggestion is to replace C, and install fresh Windows in the new disk. 

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Could this explain the black screens and freezes??

A bad disk can explain these, for sure.

As to gpu, I believe @philpower2 is more suitable to give a reply.

My suggestion is to replace C, and install fresh Windows in the new disk. 

I'll do my best to search through my history on my phone to locate the specific error windows log was showing.

- So I'll update my amd drivers to the latest "Adrenalin 23.11.1" or even the pro version "22.Q4", both would Freeze, black screen, amd error would show up. Amd didn't offer much information, I had to use windows log to point out what was happening which I'll try to find.

I'll replace the hdd first thing in the morning and I'll update on the progress. Thank you for help, all of you I greatly appreciate it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20231128_211911 (1).jpg

Edited by Bosscoe, 09 December 2023 - 06:20 AM.

Advertisements

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,123 posts

I'll replace the hdd first thing in the morning and I'll update on the progress. Thank you for help, all of you I greatly appreciate it.

You are welcome. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Can I ask that you do not quote every reply as we have to read the full post to make sure nothing gets missed,, thanks.

Edit: PSU Kolink Enclave Gold Modular 600W Power purchased mid 2022

The brand and output of the PSU are too weak, your GPU specs here say that the card required the system to be powered by a minimum of a 550W PSU but the amount of additional drives that you have you are more in the 650W output region, not just any brand will do either, Corsair RM range, EVGA, Sasonic and Super Flower Gold efficiency rated PSUs are the minimum that you should have for any gaming type rig, seven year minimum warranty period when replacing a PSU but for new build ten years should be the minimum, the present PSU specs here say it has a maximum output of 576W and a measly three year warranty.

RAM
16.0GB Single-Channel DDR4 @ 1199MHz (17-17-17-39)

As per the explanation in my reply #3, having the RAM in the wrong slots is causing among other things a bottleneck, Ryzen CPUs are notorious for not liking slow RAM so you are going to have to do something about getting the RAM into the correct slots.

As it stands you need to do the below;

Carefully clean the dust off the GPU and from the insides of the case 

Put the RAM in slots A2 and B2.

Purchase an appropriate 650W or above Gold efficiency rated PSU.

Clean install Windows and the system drivers either to a new 250GB SSD or alternatively create a 250GB partition on the 1TB Samsung SSD and clean install Windows and the system drivers to that. 

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Roger that, my apologies just to confirm the psu is a coolermaster 650, I have another pc built exactly the same as mine which I'll make adjustments to taking on your advice. Is there such thing as too much power? I've always thought about getting more than the required but thought I might overload the pc.

- RAM update: Seems to be working fine, after turning the cpu fan the correct way I was able to add the additional 2x previous sticks into the remaining slots on my pc. Thank you for this advice and pointing this out, I should really read the instructions more.

- Windows install: I installed windows on the new SSD I just bought, after restarting the pc due to installing razer software and no other windows updates or amd driver installs the pc hit a "Recovery, It looks like Windows didn't load correctly" screen. Which was happening when I would install windows on the previous HDD & SSD. I ran the startup repair and here I am. I also ran a couple cmd's after a successful startup repair. Running windows updates right now, so far so good there's been no freezes, black screens or crashes. 

Edit: Tried to install AMD drivers then bang AMD error pops up after installation. I didn't catch the freeze or black screen as I was afk. Had to restart pc where I ran into yet another startup issue which failed when I started a startup repair but fixed when I ran a system restore. Will edit this section and post windows event view error once I've reinstalled amd driver. 

Installed amd driver "whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.11.1-win10-win11-nov3-vega-polaris", https://www.amd.com/...s/radeon-rx-580

Biggest What the...??? Image "20231212_001525.jpg" this was the message that showed up when I tried to open amd after installation. I won't touch anything else until further notice.

Attached Thumbnails

• image_2023-12-11_212455363.png
  • 2.jpg
  • 20231212_001525.jpg

Edited by Bosscoe, 12 December 2023 - 12:16 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Edit: PSU Kolink Enclave Gold Modular 600W Power purchased mid 2022

You told us that you had a Kolink which is not a good brand but Cooler Master have not made a decent PSU for years either.

Glad to hear that putting the RAM in the correct slots has helped, other than that I 100% stand by what you were advised in my earlier reply, the brand of PSU, the output and efficiency rating are non negotiable on gaming rigs, go cheap, go broke  :(  

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Ok I'll upgrade both psu's to your suggested brands. 

Just a quick update:

- so I've some how managed to make my pc somewhat stable a lot less startup repairs. I've been able to restart the pc without running into any errors.

- I've installed the amd driver only, and not the adrenalin program that comes with it. 

I'm still unable to run games or photoshop, this is the error I get when opening photoshop. Games just give me a white screen.

- I've put a hold on windows downloading drivers for me

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg