Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows boot loop/freezes/crashes

Best Answer phillpower2 , 12 January 2024 - 08:10 AM

Been over a week with no constructive feedback and being that the GPU issue;s are not related to the OPs original troubles I`m going to go ahead and mark this thread as being solved and the issue/s... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
As it stands you need to do the below;

Carefully clean the dust off the GPU and from the insides of the case 

Put the RAM in slots A2 and B2.

Purchase an appropriate 650W or above Gold efficiency rated PSU.

Clean install Windows and the system drivers either to a new 250GB SSD or alternatively create a 250GB partition on the 1TB Samsung SSD and clean install Windows and the system drivers to that. 

The above from my reply #13;

Correct me if I am wrong but I am only seeing that you have actually done only one of the things that was suggested ( and it has helped ) one thing for sure here is that using junk PSUs 100% kills hardware and the GPU being the most power hungry tends to suffer first and the most.

Because of the persistence of using a sub standard PSU I strongly suggest that you get the GPU tested to see if it has been damaged by the weak PSU, no point in purchasing a new PSU only to find out that the GPU is hosed.

Advertisements

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Alright, so I've cleaned out all the dust, taken all parts apart cleaned everywhere possible including slots on motherboard. 

Clean installed windows as you suggested including partition parts.

I've managed to somehow stabilize the pc as it only boot loops now AFTER I've installed the latest AMD driver for my gpu. I'm able to update windows fully without any crashes or boot loop issues. I'm still unable to open the latest AMD driver software. How can I test the GPU? I'm scared that if I throw it in my other PC it might cause the same issues in that pc as well. I'm heavily leaning towards purchasing another GPU and continuing to use the same PSU until work is back on next year as I'm getting to a desperate stage. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

one thing for sure here is that using junk PSUs 100% kills hardware and the GPU being the most power hungry tends to suffer first and the most.

Because of the persistence of using a sub standard PSU I strongly suggest that you get the GPU tested to see if it has been damaged by the weak PSU, no point in purchasing a new PSU only to find out that the GPU is hosed.

Stress test the GPU at your own risk;

Get the present GPU tested by all means but not on a computer that has a junk power supply.

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

one thing for sure here is that using junk PSUs 100% kills hardware and the GPU being the most power hungry tends to suffer first and the most.

Stress test the GPU at your own risk;

Get the present GPU tested by all means but not on a computer that has a junk power supply.

Will do right away, Thank you so much for your help I truly appreciate it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

An example of the quality and spec that you need as a minimum Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650W Power Supply this was the least expensive that I could find in your part of the world.

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I was looking for my gpu box because AMD support are helping me as well and I stumbled across an unopened PSU "Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 700w 80Plus Gold", will this do the trick? Also I'll purchase your recommended PSU for my other PC that's similar to mine. 

Edited by Bosscoe, 26 December 2023 - 07:29 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

If it is still in warranty it is ok for troubleshooting, other than that, no, it is rated as  – Tier C • Low-end

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Alright so I've connected the GPU from PC 2(Good PC) into PC 2(Bad PC), and I've managed to successfully install AMD drivers and have everything running normally again. I've thrown my other GPU back in and bam we hit the boot loop again. What are your suggestions from here? 

Edited by Bosscoe, 27 December 2023 - 11:28 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
so I've connected the GPU from PC 2

Brand and exact model name or number of this card please.

I've thrown my other GPU back in and bam we hit the boot loop again

We know it is an ASRock but can you tell us which exact version the card is.

What PSU was in the computer when you tried both cards.

Can you post a new Speccy url for us.

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

GPU from PC 2(Good PC)

- Red Dragon Radeon RX580 8GB GDDR5

GPU from PC 1(BAD PC)

- PG D RADEON RX580 8G OC

- I cant find the box but thats what I was able to pull off the sticker on the GPU

PSU: Coolermaster 650 

https://www.pccasege...power-plus-650w

http://speccy.pirifo...Jm8jvhA4psep7l4

Just a quick update, I've upgraded my PC to Win 11 however I'm still getting the same issues. This time around, I'm longer getting anymore bsod, boot loops, freezes, black screens just the same errors when Installing latest AMD drivers.

What I've been working on the past couple days was...

- Disabled auto driver updates on windows (all 3 options regedit, group policy disable and disable via settings)

- Been using 3rd party software such as WU minitool, WU Manager David Xanatos

Still no success. I'm being very stubborn I think, I'm refusing to give into the fact that this GPU might already be on its last legs. During this entire time of my own research, previous owners of this gpu have also had the same problem which all lead to windows/amd drivers clashing. I wanted to ask you if I should follow this video as a last attempt sorta thing?

Not that I've ever used my gpu for mining, growing pretty desperate at this stage.

Edited by Bosscoe, 30 December 2023 - 04:58 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Oh no  :alarm:

You just clean installed Windows but allowed Windows to update before you installed the chipset and other important drivers  :(

Once Windows has been clean installed you must then install first the MBs chipset drivers then the storage/SATA drivers and third the graphics drivers, the drivers can either come from a disk provided by the motherboard manufacturer or downloaded from their site and saved to a flash drive etc, this is a must and Windows should not be allowed to check for updates before it has been done as more often than not Windows installs the wrong drivers or in the incorrect order and this can cause all sorts of problems. 

The reason why this procedure is so important, the chipset is what enables the MB to be able to communicate with all the hardware + are the first drivers that Windows looks for on boot.

Also of note, you should have created a 250GB partition on the 1TB SSD and installed Windows and the system drivers to that, this = faster boot times, protects Windows from corruption and last but not least it makes backing up so much easier.

Did the ASRock GPU work okay up until you installed the Radeon drivers.

What GPU drivers did you install and from where did you obtain them.

Regarding the GPU potentially failing, you may be correct but keep the following in mind, I will be blunt here;

The PSUs used have been crap and may have damaged the card, want to know just how bad the Cooler Master is read the Toms thread here you've got to love where the helper says "Friends don't let friends buy Cooler master products".

The PowerColor GPU requires less power than the ASRock GPU that is exhibiting problems.

The GPUs are not being OCd until you install the Radeon drivers and the cards therefore not demanding as much power.

Continuing to use the PowerColor card with the junk PSU will 100% result in a dead PowerColor card.

The top and bottom here is that until the card has been tested while being powered by an appropriate spec of PSU you have no way of knowing whether or not the GPU is toast.

Sorry but not able to comment on any third party assistance, if you follow such info and something goes wrong we can in no way be held responsible.

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

oof Had a feeling I messed something up.

ASRock GPU - normally shows up as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", in device manager. The only time I can get it to be recognized for what it is, is when I install AMD drivers or update it through device manager. Than it brings me back to the yellow caution mark on it or through amd the errors keep popping up. 

For the RX 580 drivers

https://www.amd.com/...s/radeon-rx-580

and 

For the chipset drivers

https://www.amd.com/...socket-am4/b450

Ok just to clarify my next steps.

- Install Win 11 properly and create a 250 gig partition for it

-" this is a must and Windows should not be allowed to check for updates "

Does that mean I disable the internet immediately after installing windows to prevent Windows from updating automatically? Than go to regedit, etc...to disable windows from downloading display drivers?

(When it comes to the MB I'm new in this area, I've only updated the Bios once ever that's about it)

- Install MB chipset drivers - Is this the correct place to download the drivers? https://www.asrock.c...ex.asp#Download

- Install storage/SATA drivers - Need some direction here please

- Install straight from AMD website or the drivers supplied by MB on their website? - Also need direction at this step please

- Than do I go to install the latest AMD drivers?

I'll take a risk tomorrow and install the Asrock GPU into PC2 and see what happens. I checked earlier in the week and every pc store I know of in my city seem to have no stock of RX 580's. I'm quite gutted because its been a very good card to me. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

Edited by Bosscoe, 30 December 2023 - 06:45 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
ASRock GPU - normally shows up as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", in device manager. 

But did it at least work.

Hold off doing anything for now, error code 43 is generic and causes include both hardware and software, the former includes the card not being able to function properly because it is not getting enough power.

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I think so, the fans are spinning, windows detects it as pictured in the screenshot attachments. The only real issue is that it won't update to the latest driver now, after fixing the boot loop and bsod. I can double check if it's causing freezes and black screens by downloading/installing games again if you would like me to?

Going off what you said, I'll drop into the pc store near my house tomorrow unsure if they'll be open given that it's new years eve but worse case I'll get that PSU if its a power issue sometime this week. Much cheaper option than forking out 400 for another gpu since they don't have my model in stock anywhere in the state. I won't touch anything else until notified otherwise from you.

I've attached a screenie from photoshop as well. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 4.jpg

Edited by Bosscoe, 30 December 2023 - 08:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

The  GPU is clearly working albeit using generic Windows video drivers, you would not have been able to take and upload the screenshot above otherwise, this gets us to a weak PSU or the AMD drivers causing the GPU to have issues when being OCd.

The following using just the Windows drivers for the ASRock GPU, see if  you are able to check your FPS etc with SUPERPOSITION