Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i know! One of my friends was playing it with everything on high (the shadows were on medium) and it was awsome! I hope I'll be able to do that...

Advertisements

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
What specs does he have. Jus wonderin'

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
he has a AMD athlon 3800+ processor, a rdaeon x800 XT graphics card, 1gb of ram, a 250 gb hard drive...pretty much every thing that oblivion runs well on. Oh, and he has a 19 inch plasma monitor. (his parents bought all this for him on his birthday. I had to start from scratch.)

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
gotta go. nice talkin' to ya.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
bye

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, if you guys want to sit and chat we have an irc channel you can join.

An x800xt is a good card. The GTO is like the second slowest version of the x800 you can get its a budget card, its still good but not HDR good while it should technically be able to play it HDR uses alot of resources so it wouldnt run very well. The x800s can use HDR but oblivion wont let them for some reason by default its kinda sucky.

Edit went and checked it out, apparently beth approached oblivions HDR with a much less professional approach, when valve(who helped pioneer the technology) they developed it to work on all cards and used a different form of interface which was more compatible, bethedesa thought that it would be a good idea just to ignore people with last generation cards and just made it work(badly) with this generation cards.

Edited by warriorscot, 15 April 2006 - 01:26 PM.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
that is becuase they can't do HDR and AA at the same time. Did you know that?

Edited by Casheti, 15 April 2006 - 01:20 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
To all you out there, the Radeon X800 GTO does NOT support HDR, so if you want Oblivion to look it's finest...spend some more dough to get the XT :whistling:

Now I'm sad, because I don't have HDR...but I'm upgrading soon! (yes, although I've had my new compy for only 4 days)

PS - The X800GTO came with this Trixx OC program, and I don't really get how to use it...if anyone knows, please PM me or link the topic where it's discussed. Thanks!

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Go the Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Hardware and find Trixx.
Click on it and select "Remove". Click "Yes" when asked if you are sure.
Next take your Trixx CD and put it on a very rough surface with the label facing upwards. Put all your weight on the CD and twist it. After you have verified that the CD has been rendered completely useless (don't worry, the software contained on the CD has been utterly useless from the beginning), you can dispose of it at your leisure.

Next go to the TechPowerUp! web-site and download ATI Tool (it can be found in the Downloads section) and enjoy you overclocking trials!

Trixx OC is very bad software.

Edited by Casheti, 16 April 2006 - 06:36 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The x800GTO should be able to use HDR, it wont in oblvion because it was poorly implemented.

All the nvidia cards have had a problem with HDR and AA, the problem has followed the cards from 6 to 7 series because its the same core they just upgrade it time after time but it still has some of the faults the 6 series had, the ati cards didnt have the problem so they can technically run HDR and AA oblivion just doesnt let them, it works fine in far cry and HL2 and CSS though. Depends on how well made the game is.

Advertisements

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I've seen oblivon played with HDR off and AA on, and it doesn't look half bad. If you're thinking of spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade so you can play it with HDR on, I wouldn't do it, unless you absolutly have to. (unless, of course, you have sevral hundred spare bucks just laying around, clamoring to be spent)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Some people do, its amazing on a X1900XTX with a nice monitor(a nice monitor probably more important) if i had the cash i would get myself a new card after DX10 is out even the lower end cards should be able to tackle oblvion with AA and HDR, for an RPG oblivion is very good looking much better than dungeon siege 2 and if you have a good PC better than fable but fable ran better on slower systems.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
What the [bleep] am I doing wrong then? My memory is reading at about 820 free RAM (out of 1024), my processor is going great at 3 GHz, and my GTO is fine. Yet Oblivion runs barely on high at 1024! I have no shadows on (except for the basic people shadows) and I've had to change my texture size (which blows) to medium! I'll try the OC program earlier recommend by Cash, but what else can I do???!!!

Oh and WarriorScott, does that mean in the new Half-Life's the HDR will work? I mean, the Oblivion start up says "HDR: Not supported"....so what's the dilly-o?

}BP{

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oblivion is a stupid game.

Your trying to run it on High in a GTO the slowest x800 available, if it was a GTO2 that would be a different story but a plain GTO should be a medium settings with maybe some nice shadows or bloom turned on, not high with no shadows. I think you are just expecting to much, also you are aware that x800s dont like 800x600 or 1024x768 they actually lose performance at those resolutions, try 1280 but i have a fairly hefitly OCed xl and i cant run it on all high settings, and ive got shadows on medium and the grass animation turned off and i still get shocking FPS outside.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
So lemme sum up (from what I understand):

-Oblivion has mental limitations and shouldn't be setting me on high
-Tone down the graphics (which areas would you suggest?)
-Turn up the resolution?

The XT is only $174 on NewEgg...so after college books get bought :blink: if I have enough I'll upgrade eventually :whistling: