Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Budget-based gaming build

pc budget gaming

• Please log in to reply

Nikoli_vi_Britannia

Nikoli_vi_Britannia

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am soon buying a new PC for gaming, and because I plan to start learning to program for Windows and Windows Phone. I want a PC that can run new games and large programs, but I have a small budget, it'll most likely have to be under a thousand US dollars. I want opinions on this Avatar system.
Clipeus.png
http://avatargamingp...us-i5-4576.html

Edited by Nikoli_vi_Britannia, 11 May 2014 - 06:58 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

:welcome:     Nikoli_vi_Britannia

The Avatar computer is ok as a basic gaming machine (it does have a couple of downsides) the specifications are below what you will require for professional programming, personally I am not aware what will be required specifications wise for writing Microsoft programs but as a rule of thumb an i7 CPU and a minimum of 16GB of Ram are a starting point for programmers, your budget is a limiting factor so I would suggest an 8 core AMD build to reduce costs.

The downsides (concerns) that I mentioned about the Avatar include the following;

The MB is dated technology and it only has two memory slots, this will cause you problems should your programming require more than 16GB of Ram.

The brand name of the PSU is not stated, this is always a concern as you have no way of knowing the quality of it, the performance that it can provide** or the warranty period (note the one year labour warranty period) system builders will often use no name or lesser known brand PSUs to keep their costs down, fine for them but not for the end user if the PSU pops and wipes out the whole system.

The brand name of the GTX 760 is not stated, this like the PSU brand not being known is a major concern, **you need to know the brand name of the GTX 760 so that you can check what it`s power requirements are, this includes the amount of amps that are required on the PSUs +12V rail, you may worry about how fast the card is but it does need clean, stable and adequate power from the PSU or it will fail.

The least expensive GTX 760 that I found requires a Minimum 500W PSU with 30 amps on the +12V rail, see here

Sorry that I can`t offer a more positive opinion on the Avatar PC, I am only trying to save you from being disappointed and/or out of pocket.